• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does alcohol hurt you?

I am just wondering if I am alone in this. Ever since my flare started I have not been able to drink alcohol. I was never a big drinker to begin with, but this definitely has put a damper on my Sunday brunch mimosa's :( Even a sip is too much.

rygon

I find beer, whisky, and red wine a definite no-no for me

I can tolerate ginger beer, cider, white wine and guiness, along with vodka and tequila. Although if i'm having a bit of a flare, or just too much of it I do feel the effects. I've tried to keep it to a minimum now as its just not worth the hassle

Knocked alcohol on the head two weeks ago- I'm finding a marked improvement so far- but there is no control 'A' and 'B' to really know if it just isn't time more than alcohol. This is the first time in months I've been feeling better. I couldn't think of a day where I hadn't had a drink except for preps' for a very long time. Beer or 2 or 3 after work, or a Ricard or two, then wine with dinner and afterwards. I will not drink until I'm in remission. Even then probably only a little. At the doctor's yesterday I told him about it- "good thinking- it's an inflammatory and you are fighting a disease"- also given coffee the flick. Thinking back over the years and seeing a doctor years ago about an itchy arse I'm pretty certain that was the first inkling that my apple fritter was complaining about beer drinking and the start of things to come.

I've just been diagnosed with crohns yesterday. Beer has caused me problems so far.

This I have found the hardest thing to deal with so far when it comes to changes I need to make. Not just because I love beer but because home brewing is my hobby. I brew from grains and have invested so much time into perfecting this craft. Now I'm thinking of selling all my gear.

kiny

I don't drink it, because my first thought is that it can only have a negative influence on an intestine.

It's not like you can actually prove this, you can't just make a study and test what alcohol does on a patient with crohn's disease, that would be horrible, I just really can't imagine it to be healthy.

Lager,beer in General is awful it's full of chemicals,hops,barley and basically runs the backside out of me try asking your gp for help after 4 days of uncontrolled trots and vomiting,I did the Linda Blair thing from the exorcist,you only had half a glass,sure he thought I,d been on a bender.
Thing is where I,m from if you don,t drink you have no social life so I find I,m fine on vodka based drinks,Smirnoff ice is fine mike, hard lemonade in the states was ok,the odd whiskey but treat all drinks with caution try one in the house in case of disaster.
Ps I,m tempted to try cider it's apple based

Pps bye the bye I,m a light weight with drink

rygon

I've just started brewing my own drinks this year, so far I've made ginger beer (needs a bit of refining) and my pumpkin beer is bubbling away nicely. As they haven't got any barely in I found them fine to drink so far, and its pretty fun to make something like that.

Mmmm.... haven't had a mimosa or much of any drinks in a few years, with the surgeries, tachycardia and being on percocet, but sounds so good! I used to love beer, along with peanuts during football games! I am thinking that I might give a glass of white or blush wine a try on Thanskgiving. Cheers! :beerchug:

I've never really been much of a drinker, but ever since crohn's a couple of drinks gives me an unsettled feeling inside for about two days afterwards (not severe, but slightly uncomfortable). My stools are also extremely loose after drinking, usually they are semi-formed but I'll often "poo" water the next day. It seems to be the only thing that aggravates my insides, it's funny how I can handle leafy greens but can't even have one beer! :ylol2:

I gave up beer a long time ago - major problems. The last time I drank wine, I woke up with one of the worst crohn's attacks of my life - spent the day in the ER - and since then, I've permanently quit drinking altogether. I'd known for a long time it messed with me, but that was the turning point.

The last drink I had was about 8 months ago, before I was diagnosed, I had one small bottle of a caramel vodka mudshake. It made me vomit shortly thereafter, I wasn't drunk. I've never been drunk in my life but oh my goodness the pain. Never, ever again. Not sure whether it was the milk, or the vodka, but I can't look at the bottles anymore without wanting to lose the contents of my stomach. Blegh.

I find alcohol really makes me go to the loo. I drank too much the other week, and whooo straight in the loo the next morning, every time I ate that day I felt I needed to go

I don't play with alcohol. It's true when the analogy is used on this forum, " it's like pouring alcohol on a open wound." If that doesn't bother you, then the fact drinking on crohns drugs, even if it's steroids, flagyl, cipro, and in my case MTX/humira is a definant no no. though I do miss my occasional beer.

I find, like some of the others in this thread, that drinking alotta beer is a big no no for me. Spirits don't affect me badly, but like with all alcohol, drink in moderation for best results.

alcohol affects the liver and when you mix that with certain IBD meds that affect the liver, then problems occur. My GI told me this as well as my primary MD & GI surgeon.

If I want to drink something, I'll either have water, 7 up with a cherry, ginger ale, or cranberry juice mixed with 7 UP. Nobody needs to know what you're drinking and if they ask, just tell them that you are the designated driver. No biggie. If your friends can't accept you for you, then they WERE NOT your friends to begin with.

Sometime liquor will cause problems sometimes not. I usually have more problems drinking liquor than beer. Think it depends on the liquor.

what do you folks tell other people? My crohn's symptoms only reemerged the past 2 years or so, and I made a decision to give up alcohol less than a month ago. For some reason, I'm anticipating difficulty when I tell certain (heavy-drinking) friends and family members. Do you specifically mention your crohn's, or talk about interactions with medication, or just opt out without offering an explanation? Thanks!

I tell them I can't drink due to medication/medical issues. If they give you crap then screw them in my opinion. What's it matter to them.

what do you folks tell other people? My crohn's symptoms only reemerged the past 2 years or so, and I made a decision to give up alcohol less than a month ago. For some reason, I'm anticipating difficulty when I tell certain (heavy-drinking) friends and family members. Do you specifically mention your crohn's, or talk about interactions with medication, or just opt out without offering an explanation? Thanks!
Just tell them how it iss Crohn's related, and there's no reason you can't have fun without alcohol. It is your body to treat the way you want. If they pressure you, I would reevaluate your friendship with them, because no crohnie needs extra stress of being tempted whenever your around that person.

If they're true friends they'll respect your decision.