• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dumbbells for better vein visibly?

nogutsnoglory

This is a theory but you know how those buff guys have veins popping out of their arms. Well what if we do some dumbbell exercises? Would this make our veins bigger and easier for nurses to poke us for blood tests and IV.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm a female so I can't answer to how this stuff would work for a guy. Having said that, I've always had fairly thin/translucent (?) skin and my veins show through easily. I've heard at least one other person on the forum mention this as well, so it may be an IBD thing or just coincicence, I'm not sure. I've been lifting weights for about 3 years now, and I definitely notice more veins bulging when I'm lifting - maybe not so much when I'm not in the gym, though. The other day I was doing my stretches in front of a mirror right after my workout, and I had like huge forehead veins poking out! It was kind of gross. :p But if you just want visible veins for IV/injection purposes, I would say that keeping very well hydrated is probably your best bet. Working on your fitness is great and will give you tons of benefits, but I don't know specifically that it'd do a lot as far as IVs go unless you get an IV inserted immediately after a workout which probably wouldn't happen.

Tagging Kel here to get his opinion as I know he's done a lot of bodybuilding - what are your thoughts on this?

nogutsnoglory

I'm wondering if it makes sense to do a few reps the morning of an infusion. I have tiny veins too and I do hydrate but maybe this would help some.

I have been hospitalized for the better part of the last 2 months. Dehydration and electrolyte loss nearly killed my kidneys.

Due to the potassium burning out my IV's I've begun requesting that a pik line be installed upon hospital admission. Takes all of 15 minutes.

No more hour long poke and prod for usable veins for me!

Cheers,
Miles

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I imagine that would be almost impossible because that would be considered "target exercising" which doe not work like we imagine it would even though fitness gurus like to sell us on the idea. Dumbbells would make you stronger in that area, but to make the veins pop I would imagine you would have to change your entire body composition.

In general, the better hydrated you are, the "plumper" your veins will be.

Fortunately I have one goldmine vein in my inner elbow that bulges as soon as I stretch out my arm. When I go for blood tests I just throw out my arm before they bother to give me the instructions and they look relieved that they don't have to put in extra work to draw blood! LOL

Vegan,

I was losing electrolytes and fluid faster than I could take them in. It started as a stomach virus and ended with 30 bowel movements or more a day.

I have short bowel syndrome, though no ostomy and have always had to watch out for stomach viruses and such. I usually end up taking supplemental fluids when virus hits.

Miles

Vegan,

I was losing electrolytes and fluid faster than I could take them in. It started as a stomach virus and ended with 30 bowel movements or more a day.

I have short bowel syndrome, though no ostomy and have always had to watch out for stomach viruses and such. I usually end up taking supplemental fluids when virus hits.

Miles
I'm sorry to hear that. What kinds of supplemental fluids are you taking?

I'm actually in the process of looking for a good hydration fluid for an upcoming ileoscopy. So far, I've been able to get my hands on this stuff: http://vegasport.com/product/electrolyte-hydrator/

It's zero calorie because they use stevia to sweeten it, but it tastes good and seems to be doing a good job keeping me hydrated during the day. I think it might be expensive to use a product like that for long-term fluid/electrolyte replacement though, so I'm interested to hear how you've been doing it (perhaps you can add your reply to the following thread so this one doesn't go off topic: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=63870) .

This is a theory but you know how those buff guys have veins popping out of their arms. Well what if we do some dumbbell exercises? Would this make our veins bigger and easier for nurses to poke us for blood tests and IV.
Vascularity ( the condition of having many highly visible, prominent and often extensively ramified superficial veins- wikipedia ).
mainly very low subcutaneous fat,
http://www.livestrong.com/article/529283-how-to-get-bicep-vascularity/

Staying hydrated is the best bet. Doing some curls beforehand would probably help. I used to go to the bathroom to do some pushups before my remicade infusions and it seemed to do the trick. Anything that gets blood going into your arms should work.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
While counter intuitive, most body builders stop drinking liquids to dehydrate themselves slightly. This causes the skin to tighten and because of the lack of fat it tightens the skin, the muscles bulge and veins pop. But that only works with the low body fat.

While counter intuitive, most body builders stop drinking liquids to dehydrate themselves slightly. This causes the skin to tighten and because of the lack of fat it tightens the skin, the muscles bulge and veins pop. But that only works with the low body fat.
or take nitric oxide

I have been trying to get my veins more visible cause im tired of nurses missing my veins. Currently im not too active, Im stilll recovering from surgery. But I was extremely active and fit, I wasnt super vascular but i had healthy veins, easy to spot. But the longer i was in the hospital my veins started disappearing and lab people coming in every morning poking me 2-3 times was getting real old real quick. So got my little forearm gripper from my car and i do 10 sets of 10 every morning and afternoon. That made my veins visible enough to poke in the first try.

Also I heard nitric oxide works real good