• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Strep

Hello All,

My 11 year old son was diagnosed about a year ago and takes Remicade and Methotrexate. He has hit a nice remission the last 3-4 months and has been rapidly gaining weight. This week he started complaining of a headache and sore throat, and had visible white patches when I looked at his throat. He was diagnosed with Strep and given amoxicillin to treat it. His GI said to skip his Methotrexate for the week. We are taking a probiotic with the antibiotic, but are still experiencing diarrhea. I would love to hear from some of you how it has gone with antibiotic since this is our first real illness since diagnosis. Thank you!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds had strep a lot even before Crohns dx
While on remicade and later on humira
What probiotics is he taking ?
Our GI uses vsl#3 double strength (prescription only )
It has 900 billon per packet
Is used to prevent c diff

Also when does he take probiotics vs abx
We do last dose of abx with dinner and then take probiotics at bed (at least two hours later )
Normal otc probiotics only have 30 million so not doing much ....

Good luck

Maya142

Staff member
We have had lots of "regular kid" infections on biologics + MTX. Generally, my daughter tolerates antibiotics fine. Usually she feels better in 48 hours or so.

The one thing to watch for is severe diarrhea with antibiotics. That can be a sign of CDiff, which is a nasty gut infection that can be caused by antibiotics. My daughter has had it twice but not with amoxicillin. Certain antibiotics are more likely to cause it - she got it while on Cipro and Ceftin.

Just watch for watery diarrhea, many times a day and belly pain etc.

Diarrhea is very common with antibiotics and usually it's not big deal, but if it's REALLY bad, call your GI. They may want to switch his antibiotic and/or test for CDiff.

Good luck!! Hope he feels better soon.

Ds had strep a lot even before Crohns dx
While on remicade and later on humira
What probiotics is he taking ?
Our GI uses vsl#3 double strength (prescription only )
It has 900 billon per packet
Is used to prevent c diff

Also when does he take probiotics vs abx
We do last dose of abx with dinner and then take probiotics at bed (at least two hours later )
Normal otc probiotics only have 30 million so not doing much ....

Good luck
Thanks for the info.! He is taking Florajen4kids with 6 billion live cultures. His diarrhea has improved. I am a worry wart, so here is another question about something I am struggling with. We just left the doctor's for our well child visit and they gave my son vaccinations for Meningitis, DTap, and HPV. He was adamant that he was fine getting these despite fighting step. Have you vaccinated for these things while on biologics? I was not sold on the HPV one, but ultimately did what he suggested. Should I be looking out for anything or concerned about anything? Thank you for all of your help this last year!

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds had two out of the three (no hpv)
No issues while on biologics at all
Just wait till he had been off pred for at least 6-8 weeks I think they said.