• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Simponi vs Stelera

Didn't try any of them, but I if had to choose, and had failed an anti-tnf, i'd try Stelara as it work differently (on interleukins and not tnf)...
Otherwise if you had good responses from an anti tnf (remicade or humira) but had to stop it for other reasons (like built anti bodies or allergy etc...) then Simponi could be a good choice.

Maya142

Staff member
With Simponi, make sure you get the IBD (or technically UC) dose. That is 100 mg every 4 weeks. The dose for SpA/JIA is 50 mg every 4 weeks - did NOT work for either of my girls.

M was on 200 mg per month eventually (we started with 100 mg per month and then had to up it). S did 50 mg every 3 weeks (Simponi had just come out and they could not play with the dose as much).

M's arthritis did improve, just not enough. Crohn's did GREAT on Simponi.

S's arthritis did improve a little - she would get about 2 weeks of relief and then it would wear off. I think hers was honestly a dosing issue and we may go back to Simponi in the future for her. She was not on it very long.

The UC dose also comes with a loading dose (200 mg) which is helpful - makes it kick in faster.

The shots are nice and painless. Even the autoinjector doesn't really hurt according to my girls. The syringes hurt even less. Both girls did their own Simponi shots. Said it was "wonderful" compared to Humira ;).

For Stelara, also make sure you get the IBD dose (90 mg every 8 weeks, after an IV loading dose). For psoriatic arthritis, it is 45 mg every 12 weeks, which most rheumatologists say is too low.

According to the people we have talked to, the Stelara shots sting, but not as bad as Humira. And it is only every 8 weeks. I have seen people on the forum taking them up to every 4 weeks.

Good luck!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Our insurance will approve ivig for primary immunodeficiency
Ds doesn't have immunodeficiency so the docs have to discuss it in more detail ;)

Our insurance will approve ivig for primary immunodeficiency
Ds doesn't have immunodeficiency so the docs have to discuss it in more detail ;)
I'm aware that he doesn't have an immune deficiency. Some insurances give hassle regardless of diagnosis due to cost. I simply meant that I hope you can get it approved soon because it has helped my child immensely. I will stop commenting on your posts because you always try to make what I say sound irrelevant.