• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The relationship between CRP and symptom?

Is CRP directly relative to the symptom?

According to the latest blood test, my CRP is 6.36 and ESR is normal, much lower than those before using pred and pentasa, but my half-obstruction symptom is still there. when i drink EN, my intestine is still grumbling and gurgling. Should i be more patient with this?

Thanks very much.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not always and my children are a classic example of this of being at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to inflammatory markers (ESR & CRP).

My daughter had a ruptured bowel and peritonitis and her CRP and ESR were normal. My son on the other hand can display no outward symptoms and yet his CRP and ESR will reflect the slightest amount of inflammation in his body.

Perhaps in your case inflammation may still be present and it is not being reflected in the bloods or the medication has in fact done what it is supposed to do and resolved the inflammation but you have narrowing from scar tissue and that is why symptoms remain??

Dusty. xxx

Not always and my children are a classic example of this of being at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to inflammatory markers (ESR & CRP).

My daughter had a ruptured bowel and peritonitis and her CRP and ESR were normal. My son on the other hand can display no outward symptoms and yet his CRP and ESR will reflect the slightest amount of inflammation in his body.

Perhaps in your case inflammation may still be present and it is not being reflected in the bloods or the medication has in fact done what it is supposed to do and resolved the inflammation but you have narrowing from scar tissue and that is why symptoms remain??

Dusty. xxx
Thanks, I have considered about scarring things, however, I was just diagnosed a month ago, and had symptom since this year, totally a newbie of crohns, scarring would be too soon?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not necessarily. It is possible to have inflammation present for quite some time and show no symptoms of it. This may have happened to you and by the time the symptoms appeared some scarring may already have been present. The Prednisone will take away the acute inflammation and the Penatasa will hopefully help keep things at bay but that still leaves the chronic damage that may have been done and this may well be a stricture (scarring/narrowing).

Dusty. xxx

Not necessarily. It is possible to have inflammation present for quite some time and show no symptoms of it. This may have happened to you and by the time the symptoms appeared some scarring may already have been present. The Prednisone will take away the acute inflammation and the Penatasa will hopefully help keep things at bay but that still leaves the chronic damage that may have been done and this may well be a stricture (scarring/narrowing).

Dusty. xxx
That means a surgery may wait for me?

When I drink pure water, the symptom is litter, but when I drink some kind of EN, the symptom is back. Maybe it's just sth about oral toleration?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If the pain is always in the same place its likely scar tissue (scaring most likely started happening well before your diagnosis). Your GI can go over some options for you. There's a Strictureplasty which may or may not help or there's stretching that can be done but isn't a permanent fix or you could have the section surgically removed. Really it depends on how bad it is inside and how bad its affecting you on a daily basis. If I were you I'd contact your GI so you can weigh your options.