• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Branded anorexic for having Crohn's??

Does anyone else have a lot of trouble keeping their weight up with Crohn's?
It's ridiculous how easily I lose weight; I'm slim anyway and when I'm sick I have weighed as little as five, six stone..
Some obnoxious and ignorant people have actually called me anorexic before; not often thank God, but, even so, just once is one time too many! I find it really insulting when people gush, 'Oh you're so thin, I'm jealous,' etc, as I struggle daily to maintain a healthy weight and I hate being so thin...
I pass an NG tube at night in a desperate attempt to get as many calories as possible into me; I've a really poor appetite and find it hard to eat enough during the day to keep me healthy. My doctors say I've a psychological aversion to food cos I'm conditioned into associating food with pain and diarrhoea. Luckily, the NG has been a life-saver and my weight hasn't dropped below seven stone in a year, and at one stage I weighed nearly eight, which is quite healthy for being 5 ft 1! But just wondering if other people find it a daily struggle?

I get the same crap from people not that I'm anorexic just that I'm so thin and that they want to give me some of their fat. My response is always " If I could I would take some" but the truth is I'm starving everyday and all I want to do is eat but my body just cant handle it. In general I just shrug it off because I'm doing just about everything I can to keep on the weight and their just jealous.:tongue:

I am anorexic, I have been for 6 years now, started way before the Crohn's did but I think because of that fact a lot of people are actually more weary of passing comment on my weight. I'm 5ft 9 and I've been down to almost 6 stone before however at the moment I maintain at around 7 and a half. I have been on an NG tube full time in the past, dietician I saw in January thought it was a good idea to go down that route again but I ended up not going with it. I don't get any of the jealousy issues, I realise to most I am sometimes unattractively thin as opposed to just petite and small. Myself though I'd always be happier being that tiny bit thinner.

I think the biggest problem I have encountered with weight and Crohn's is the fact it's just yet another excuse not to eat now because I also know I'll get a worsening in symptoms. I've done the Elemental diet twice now and although I knew that wouldn't upset me I couldn't get past each carton being 215 calories. I just don't think I'm going to win anymore. I've made efforts to get back into counselling but with the NHS the way it is I might aswell not bother because it's always more frustration than it's worth.

Last edited:
I've had a hard time with my weight on and off over the years. Before I was diagnosed I was in Jr. High and had a couple of people come up and ask me if I was anorexic. I was always on the chubby side before Crohn's. I dropped a lot of weight and it didn't matter what I ate I couldn't keep it on. When I look back at the sickly, emaciated teen in the few photos that I have of that period I can't believe that was me.

After I was diagnosed I was put on the NG tube as well, and it helped a lot. If I recall correctly I was on it for 20 hours a day. I didn't like needing to lug the machine around all day but I managed to gain a lot of weight back while I was on it.

CK- I have problems with this now. No one would come up to a stranger and say, “you are too fat,” but people seem to have no trouble telling you that you are too skinny. It makes me really uncomfortable because I would much rather look like I did a few years ago when I had boobs and a butt and looked like a grown up woman. It’s hard for me to feel sexy being so thin. Eating is a struggle for me right now because food makes me hurt. Sometimes it is just easier to just skip it.

As a teenager, I did have problems with Anorexia, partially because it was so easy to hide with this disease (Crohns). I dealt with it for many years, but I got healthy about five years ago and now it is hard for me to be this thin again because it just reminds me of that time.

I think that I developed Anorexia for many reasons, but one of them was the fact that I liked having something that I could control in my life, especially because I felt like I had no control over the Crohns, and it sort of felt like weight was one thing I could control. Of course, it ended up controlling me.

NatalieMT- it must be very hard for you right now because these diseases feed off of each other so much. My heart goes out to you because I have been where you are. There was a time when I thought that I would have rather been thin than happy. All I can say is that nothing really good ever happened for me in my life until I let go of those negative thoughts. Please don’t give up.

I'm a similar situation. I've always been on the thin side but ever since having Crohn's I just can't seem to gain weight no matter how much I eat. Before I was diagnosed my doctor said I was anorexic. He told me all my problems were in my head. After my first hospital stay I weighed only 96 pounds at 5'6''.

Still today I get comments about my weight. Some people have told me they wished they had what I had so they could lose some weight. Others have told me, "You need to gain some weight, here's some bread". That makes me pretty mad.