• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade #2 reaction?

I have a question...is there someone that had allergic reaction to Remicade after or during the second (or third or so forth) infusion? Or is it the case that if you didn't have it the first time, you are fine?

Thanks a lot,

Ania

If you are going to have an allergic reaction, most people will have one on the second or third infusion because your body has built up histamines (or antibodies?) from the first injection and fights against it.

you can also get a reaction if you have taken Remicade then stop for a while and starts back on it. same reason as above.

I had my reaction after reintroducing Remi a second time, but not until infusion 7 or 8 (maybe even longer) when I was on a double dose every 5 weeks. I got flush, raised heart rate, increased breathing, and raised body temp/ blood pressure. I was on remi for one or two infusions and then my GI switched me to Humira cause it was "new" in his office. After I failed Humira alone I went back to Remi and was on it for almost a year before my reaction. Then Humira again with Imuran added! :) Round and round we go.

Anywho they said it could've been an anxiety attack but I don't think those cause a body temp raise.

I like Katie, had a reaction to remicade a while after starting. I had been on it for around a year went in for my usual infusion and went into anaphylactic shock passed out as I couldn't breath and when I can round my arms and legs where shaking uncontrollably. I also felt boiling hot and sweat was pouring out of me and had excruciating back pain. That was one of the most dramatic reactions I have had to a medication but remicade was also the best medication I have been on and if I could go back I would do it again.

I had my reaction after reintroducing Remi a second time, but not until infusion 7 or 8 (maybe even longer) when I was on a double dose every 5 weeks. I got flush, raised heart rate, increased breathing, and raised body temp/ blood pressure. I was on remi for one or two infusions and then my GI switched me to Humira cause it was "new" in his office. After I failed Humira alone I went back to Remi and was on it for almost a year before my reaction. Then Humira again with Imuran added! :) Round and round we go.

Anywho they said it could've been an anxiety attack but I don't think those cause a body temp raise.
I had the exact same reaction... I was on it for many yrs then stopped due to insurance changes and then started back up again, I was ok but then my dose was increased and one day I reacted just like you. My face was so red, chest heavy, pulse 160, bp through the roof. I went back a couple times where they infused over 5 hours, I was there all day... it helped a bit but I didn't like taking the chance and my nurse hated that I was still on it because she worried my whole infusion. So, I don't think it was anxiety either. Just thought I would share :)