• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My journey with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

KWalker

INTRO

As promised, I've created a "blog" so I can track my results and experiences with the SCD diet. This is a learning experience for myself because I am new to the diet and I'm certain there is still so much more for me to learn about the diet.

With this thread, I will report the things I eat, and how I'm feeling each day. I will try to make this as detailed as possible so I can be most effective with helping others as well.

For my personal choice I have decided to skip the intro diet and jump right to eating a normal SCD legal diet and cut out all the other things we should not have (on the diet). I've decided to do this for a few reasons, including the limited food choices on the intro diet, and also wanting to see just how important it is to do the intro diet or not. I will give my method some time but if I do not notice any improvements, I will go right to the intro diet and do it as recommended.

Because it is the holidays still for my school, when I go back on Monday, January 7th I am going to make an appointment to have a blood test so I can get base numbers so I can "officially" track my improvements (if any).

IMPORTANT: I have created this thread so others can follow my journey with the SCD diet and while I will try to answer any questions to the best of my ability, I strongly ask that you do not post in here if you have criticisms or don't believe the diet is effective.

KWalker

Day 1: January 2, 2012.
No medication
Starting Weight- 166.4 lbs
Current symptoms- Diarrhea, two perianal abscesses that continually drain, but appear to be slowly healing.

This morning I went grocery shopping for the diet. It took me a lot longer than usual because I had to spend so much extra time reading labels and finding legal foods I can eat for snacks. For me, I don't think meals will be too bad but I need to find snacks that I can have in between meals to I can maintain healthy calorie intake levels. Because it is still early I have only had breakfast so far but I will edit this post when I have ate my lunch and dinner.

I also have a bunch of different nuts so I can start making nut milk sometime this week.

Breakfast: Omelette made with mushrooms, ham, and cheese. Also had a glass of orange juice mixed with Perrier water to give a soft drink taste, but completely legal!

Lunch/Snack: 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 1 decent sized cucumber and some celery with peanut butter. Also had another glass of orange juice

Dinner: Honey garlic chicken breasts (boneless/skinless), steamed carrots, green beans and wax beans, and also mashed cauliflower with some shredded cheese on top.

I made banana chips today which were basically bananas dipped in lemon juice (to prevent sticking) and then they bake on low temp for like 3 hours. They have a bitter-sweet taste to them but I personally think the combo is pretty good together.

I also made hazelnut milk which was super easy and I can use it in my morning coffee with some honey as a great alternative to milk and sugar. I haven't tried it yet because I boiled the water to filter it before hand so it was still hot when I finished so it's in the fridge cooling off. It smells delicious though!

I'm going to need to find ways to pack in some calories. I've ate really healthy today but I don't think I'll be anywhere near normal calorie levels by the end of the day eating like this. Of course I didn't eat much of a lunch regardless I definitely need more.

I'm not going to say I feel a difference already but I do already notice that I don't get the urge to go to the bathroom right after eating like I did when I ate things like chicken nuggets and fries, pizza, etc.

Last edited:

KWalker

I decided I'll probably update this at night so I don't have to update this every time I eat something but I just wanted to quickly say that I had my morning coffee this morning made with the hazelnut milk I made yesterday as well as some honey. It's a different taste than the milk and sugar I was used too and the hazelnut milk is a little stronger but it's actually good! The nutty aftertaste does somewhat take away from the coffee flavor but I think if I used less, it would be the perfect balance.

Also, I woke up with a bit of a headache this morning. I'm not sure if it's from the diet or just from sleeping. Other than that, I don't feel hungry and already I notice that my stomach isn't making as much noise.

KWalker

Day 2: January 3rd

Breakfast: Coffee with hazelnut milk and honey, Celery with peanut butter and cantelope.

Lunch: Had my ham, mushroom and cheese omelette. Also made a smoothie with hazelnut milk, blackberries, and banana. Delicious!

I'm also making candied pecans. It's super easy, and they taste exactly like pecan pie without the crust. I could eat these all day!
Baking

Done

Dinner: Chicken fingers with almond flour breading, fried squash, bacon and carrots. Also had a drink of 100% pure pineapple mango juice. I've never had squash before so I was a bit scared but fried up it and mixed with the carrots and bacon it was actually delicious!

[/IMG]

Overall today, I'm feeling pretty well. I woke up and have had a headache all day, but my urgency to go to the bathroom has gone from 6-8 a day down to the 2 BM's I had today. I think it's too early to say that it's working but I can definitely see how the foods I'm eating would cause you to go less.

Last edited:

KWalker

This is the recipe I used.

Candied Pecans
Ingredients:
1 lb raw shelled pecan halves
3 large egg whites, preferably at room temperature
1 cup honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp additional unsalted butter, melted
salt

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Roast pecans in a large pan in a single layer for 10 minutes.
3. Cool pecans completely before continuing recipe.

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 300° F.
2. Beat egg whites and a pinch of salt until it reaches the stiff peak stage.
3. Add ginger, cinnamon and vanilla extract, mixing just to combine.
4. Slowly add honey.
5. Continue mixing just until combined.
6. Fold in cooled pecans.
7. Pour 1/4 cup melted butter on large, lipped sheet pan and cover entire bottom.
8. Pour pecan mixture onto sheet pan and spread out evenly.
9. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned
10. Stir and return to oven for 15 minutes.
11. Stir again and return to oven for 10 minutes, making sure nuts do not burn.
12. Place wax paper on a cooling rack and coat wax paper with 2 Tbsps melted butter.
13. Pour pecans onto buttered waxed paper and spread into one layer.
14. Lightly salt the pecans while they are still warm.
15. Let the pecans cool for about 10 minutes then transfer to storage.
16. When they are completely cool, cover and store.

Astra

Hiya K

I'll keep reading your blog, looks like a good diet! Are we ok to eat nuts, I love all nuts but afraid to eat them cos I read that we need to avoid them?
Confused.com, as always!
xxx

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
This will be interesting. I am often confused about the SCD diet and what can be eaten. I look forward to seeing your food choices and hearing about your results.

Best of luck! :)

KWalker

Are you following the SCD? If so, nuts are allowed, and even encouraged as a source of protein. It says if you are doing the diet in the steps it says to not to include nuts for a few weeks-months (I believe) but I skipped the intro diet to see if its really necessary for me. I made super easy hazelnut milk and it is packed full of calories and makes delicious milk/smoothies.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
No I am not following SCD or any other specific diet at the moment. Just trying to be mindful overall of what I eat. I am mostly curious as to how SCD is done and how restrictive and expensive it can be should I choose to try it in the future (I need flavor and variety in my meals). For some reason it just seems a bit overwhelming to me. Maybe I am just thinking too hard about it (which I am sometimes guilty of doing lol). Sometimes it's just easier to understand if you are following someone who is actually doing it. So I thank you for sharing your experience. :)

I will definitely look for the hazelnut milk recipie. I already drink almond milk and soy milk and use either in my smoothies as well...I LOVE hazelnuts.:)

KWalker

I was actually asking Astra if she followed it because I must have been typing when you replied. As far as it being restrictive and expensive, put it this way. I'm a 22 year old student. For me, if its fast, cheap and delicious its going in my mouth lol. With the SCD, things like bread become more expensive because you have to make it yourself from nuts (which can be expensive depending on which nut) but other than that, I'm basically just substituting things like oreos, chips, and ice cream (which are all expensive) with things like carrots and other fruits or vegetables.

Being a student, I am able to spend about 300-350 a month on groceries for my fiancee and I so there's not a whole lot of room for expensive food. Also, I don't physically have time to prepare fancy foods but most of my meals consist of meat, fruits and vegetables anyways. I will just have to find alternatives for side dishes, salad dressings, and spices. 95% of spices and seasonings are "legal" on their own can can be illegal when pre-mixed because of potential additives.

As far as the milk, I would guess the almond milk you are currently drinking is illegal and the soy milk definitely is. The almond milk from the store contains cargeenan (sp?) Which is illegal. While I haven't tried to make almond milk yet, the hazelnut milk is super easy and the almond milk is as well, just takes a little longer because the skins need to be peeled.

For the hazelnut milk, I will find the exact recipe for you but its simply hazelnuts and water. It was 2.5 cups of hazelnuts and 6 cups of water. Put it all in the blender until the nuts are pretty well gone and then you strain the liquid through a cheese cloth so you only get the liquid. With the leftover nut "pulp" (you will have some) you can use it for flour!

KWalker

Oh, okay. I bought the Breaking the Viscous Cycle book and after reading the science behind the diet it made me want to do it even more.

All the types of squash are legal and very easy to digest. My favourite is zucchini/courgette, which I use a lot. If you grate them, they need just a few moments of cooking - add at the last minute to retain most of the goodness. They are also very easy to grow.

KWalker

I've never had zucchini. What does it taste like? We want to do the spaghetti squash as well so we can do a "mock-pasta"

They should taste fresh and almost sweet if they are young. They can get bitter if you leave them hanging around for too long. To buy they should be bright green (or yellow), shiny and firm at both ends (as well as in the midle :) ) If you can only get big ones, you can stuff and bake them.

You can also slice and fry or steam

They really are very easy to grow - but you need to watch them like a hawk and go fossicking under the large leaves every day once they are ripe (when the flowers start to die off). I swear that they can go from about 5ins to the size of your lower leg OVERNIGHT! :ywow:

Well, it seems like that, anyway. :ylol2:

KWalker

LOL! Unfortunately I live in an apartment so I can't grow my own but I've got 4 grocery stores within a 2-3 minute walk from me.

You are doing great! I am very proud of you and your fiancee. Ten or eleven years from now I hope that my son will be able to have a handle on his health the way you do and that he has such a supportive person in his life :)

Hi KWalker!

I am impressed with your enthusiasm towards the SCD. I bought the book and thought, hmmm should I? I'm also a 22year old student with CD, but I live at home with mum and sis. They are great, and they encourage me to do the SCD but studying and working leaves very little time to cook, let alone cook the yummy things you do. I have eliminated a lot of foods and have very little dairy even though I used to be THEE biggest chocolate lover!

How often to you cook meals? Daily, every other day and have left overs etc? Do you find you feel better by sticking to the SCD? I really want to try it so your feedback will be invaluable.

Sam x

I'm going to need to find ways to pack in some calories. I've ate really healthy today but I don't think I'll be anywhere near normal calorie levels by the end of the day eating like this. Of course I didn't eat much of a lunch regardless I definitely need more.
leaving the skin on the chicken and dressing a salad with olive oil will add calories,
avocados and nuts, vegetables, fat(meat)

I don't know if you eat cocoa or not but almond meal, apple-sauce and raw unsweetened cocoa powder is a great desert/breakfast/snack

KWalker

You are doing great! I am very proud of you and your fiancee. Ten or eleven years from now I hope that my son will be able to have a handle on his health the way you do and that he has such a supportive person in his life
Thanks Charleigh! You've given me so much help yourself that it's made things much easier for me!

Hi KWalker!

I am impressed with your enthusiasm towards the SCD. I bought the book and thought, hmmm should I? I'm also a 22year old student with CD, but I live at home with mum and sis. They are great, and they encourage me to do the SCD but studying and working leaves very little time to cook, let alone cook the yummy things you do. I have eliminated a lot of foods and have very little dairy even though I used to be THEE biggest chocolate lover!

How often to you cook meals? Daily, every other day and have left overs etc? Do you find you feel better by sticking to the SCD? I really want to try it so your feedback will be invaluable.

Sam x
Miss Sammy- Thanks for the support! I would say that if your family is supportive than to take advantage of it and try the diet. You could be like me and skip the steps and go right to just eating the legal foods. My fiancee is doing the diet as well, although not as strict and she loves the meals we have had so far! With us both being students it's so easy to go to McDonalds or grab junk food in between classes but she's all for eating healthier as well so we both do it together. For her though, she still eats things like bagels, cereal, etc but she is also cutting out the fast food.

We are on Christmas break (until Monday actually :( ) so we have time to cook our meals everyday but like I said above I think, we really only cook meals that are relatively fast and easy. The fried squash hashbrowns we made actually take less time that potatoes, and for the chicken all we had to do was bread it with almond flour and throw it in the oven. We will probably continue to cook every day because we do it together (mostly her while I watch lol) so it's a way for us to kind of wind down from school stress and spend time together. That, and because it's just the two of us, we try to cook only for the meal so we don't end up with a bunch of wasted food. It's easy to cook too much pasta but when it comes to things like meats, for us it's best to waste as little as we need too.

Today is the 3rd day on my diet and I'm feeling it both ways. On one side I feel like I have more energy, I haven't woke up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and my stomach doesn't make nearly as much noise as it used too. Although it's only my 3rd day, I feel more healthy by not eating some of the foods I used too. On the other hand, I have had a constant headache for the last two days, and I almost feel weak. Not to the point where it would affect me, but I guess it would feel as anyone would from not eating. I took the dog for a walk this morning and it was normal as usual and I feel full of energy, but it's like I feel like if I were to get hurt, it would hurt even more. Does that make sense? From what I've read, these feelings are to be expected and will go away as time goes on.

leaving the skin on the chicken and dressing a salad with olive oil will add calories,
avocados and nuts, vegetables, fat(meat)

I don't know if you eat cocoa or not but almond meal, apple-sauce and raw unsweetened cocoa powder is a great desert/breakfast/snack
Thanks hugh, I don't think I can have cocoa powder though. I do have the almond flour/meal that I can put on the pure apple sauce I just found.

KWalker, sounds like you are doing really well. I had headaches too, and D which I don't normally suffer from much, for about two weeks after starting the diet. It's likely a symptom of toxins leaving your body.
Good, huh? :)

Hi KWalker,

Yea I think I will try it. My sister mainly eats chicken and fish, and other times we eat quorn too and we love trial different vegetables and alternative foods just for the fun of it. I'm pretty sure she will love whatever recipes are in the book, she is practically in LOVE with Nigella Lawson and our dinners tend to reflect that. This will be a fun venture for the new year :) whoever thought Crohn's could have delicious benefits!
Uni starts week after next for me but will be going in as of Monday as there is never enough days to study. Will you make your own snacks for days when you are at school?

Keep it up. I'm sure your energy levels will return when your body fully adjusts.

KWalker

That's good! I use to deny it but as I got older I really started to believe that if good goes in, good comes out. And it's true. I haven't even gone to the bathroom yet today and its almost 4 in the afternoon! I would have gone 3-4 times by now before the diet. At the moment it still is diarrhea, but the frequency has definitely gone down. I'm not sure what I'll do for school yet, but I have a feeling it will include a lot of peanut butter for calories lol. I'll probably do snacks like celery and peanut butter, fruits (all kinds), cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Simple stuff. I also have a TON of candy pecans made that I could just throw in a bag and snack on them. They're delicious and have nutritional value as well! I do plan to pre-make smoothies though so I can use my nut milk with vegetables or fruit and those will really help, I can drink them whenever, and they're very healthy.

The cravings hit like a bus today as I was out. We had planned to grab a coffee and than go to Costco (the king of grocery stores lol). First, when we went to get coffee I was going to get peppermint tea (legal) with honey but the place we went to doesn't give honey for drinks, so I couldn't have anything :( Then for anybody who's familiar with the store, it is just lined full of samples for you to try for free. Stuff like donuts, mozzerella sticks, chocolate, etc. The good stuff! Lucky me, couldn't have any of it. They also have a HUGE baked goods section with the most delicious pies, cakes, and any other gooey treat you could imagine. I started to feel sorry for myself for not being able to have any of it but I'm so proud of myself for being able to fight the urge and Mariah let me smell the foods as she sampled them lol. I felt fulfilled knowing she enjoyed them.

I also had a lady laugh at me when I asked if they sell cocoa butter because "you could never eat that! That's for putting on your skin!". You can actually get edible cocoa butter and its a legal way to make chocolate substitutes

KWalker

For the chicken fingers we used boneless skinless chicken breasts, egg, and almond flour. First you beat the egg and then dip the chicken in the egg so the almond flour will stick. We broiled the chicken (ours is 500 degrees) for 10 minutes on one side and then you flip them and broil them for 6-8 minutes. They're very good, but next time I want to have a sauce so I can give a little extra flavor. How long have you been Paleo/SCD?

KWalker

Day 3: January 4th
I haven't gone to the bathroom all day today and I feel great!

Pre- Breakfast: Coffee with honey and hazelnut milk. I'm still getting used to how much I need to add to get a desired taste but it's still pretty good. On the first day I did too much hazelnut milk and not enough honey, and this morning I did too much honey and not enough hazelnut milk lol. I'll figure it out though

Breakfast: 100% pure apple juice, 100% pure apple sauce, Cookies using Carleigh's recipe with natural peanut butter on top.
[/IMG]

Lunch: 4 eggs, ham, cheese, mushrooms. Blackberries, and candied pecans. Also had a glass of 100% orange juice.
[/IMG]

Dinner: Coconut Shrimp with fried squash, carrots, mushrooms, and bacon.
[/IMG]

Thanks! I have been some version of paleo/GAPs/SCD for about 4 months. Doing well! No meds, 1-2 BM a day. Belly pains only if I overeat.

KWalker

Oh that's awesome! Did you do the steps for the diet or just start eating the legal foods?

For the shrimp, you just dip the shrimp in a beaten egg, and then dip them in shredded, unsweetened coconut. We used medium sized coconut. Fill the frying pan with enough olive oil (we use extra virgin) to cover the bottom and once it gets hot, you can set the shrimp in and it takes about 5 minutes to cook!

You should join us in our SCD support threads each month as well and I've put in a request for a SCD/Paleo subsection so we can share info/ideas and recipes!

I didn't do the intro diet exactly, but for about 3 weeks, all I ate was pureed organic food, smoothies, yogurt, and soup. All soft, digestable foods. I had just had a bowel obstruction so I was very careful not to eat anything that wasn't smooth and liquidy.

KWalker

ohh okay that makes sense. As I mentioned in a post at the beginning I'm currently doing well with my crohns without medicine so I figured I would skip the steps and go right to all legal foods and see how I do but if a few weeks go by with no changes I'm going to do the intro diet I think

SarahBear

Thank you so much for including pictures, KWalker. It makes the whole idea seem less intimidating for some reason!

I hope this goes well for you!!

KWalker

Thanks SarahBear, I appreciate that :) I figured the pictures would help you guys because it shows how easy these recipes really are, but it also helps me because I can remember the steps/ingredients (usually) if I look at the picture and then I'll be like "oh yeah!"

I just made a smoothie and it includes hazelnut milk, a banana, cantelope, and blackberries. It's SO good! I could drink these all day, and with the hazelnut milk there's lots of calories!

KWalker

Thanks Judith :)

Day 4: January 5th
I only went to the bathroom once yesterday and once in the middle of the night! Huge improvements! I notice the drainage from my abscess has really gone down. It could be related to not going as much but there is a significant decrease in drainage.

I've also gone through 95% of a pretty decent size container of pure honey already lol. When you can't have sugar anymore, the diet really calls for honey for a lot of the recipes. Aside from yesterday in the grocery store surrounded by all that food I really haven't had any major urges for "junk" food. Living so close to 3 grocery stores I could easily get any food I want within minutes and so far I've been doing really well without cheating.

This morning I had my morning coffee with hazelnut milk and honey. I think I've got the hang of it and so far I'm doing well with keeping coffee in my diet. I had to go out this morning so I did kind of a brunch type of meal.

Brunch: Banana Pancakes, which by the way are much better than regular pancakes, topped with honey and strawberries. Also had some apple sauce and a pure fruit juice which consisted of mango, orange, pineapple, and many other fruits.

I currently have banana bread baking in the oven and am in the process of making ketchup :)

Dinner: I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night than TACO NIGHT! :dance: To keep it legal we used lettuce for the "shell" and then we made our own seasoning which tastes way better/more authentic than the stuff you get in the package! It's perfect because you don't finish eating by hating yourself because you just ate too many tacos but when they're made like this it's guilt free!

Then I made a taco salad as well :)

Last edited:
Good idea few things I personally stay away from is eggs and orange juice because eggs help a ton to make you feel better because of the omega 3 but it tends to clog up the intestines and delay the stool possibly leading to more immflamation over time. A lot of gas and flear ups come in time for me 3 to 4 months.

Make sure to have your partner put pressure on your sides near the large intestine and feel for tender or pain. Put pressure below your belly button and look for tender or pain.

Good Luck all the best

KWalker

Thanks, I'll look into the eggs and orange juice. I've been eating/drinking them because they're "legal" so I didn't look into it any further.

As far as the pain, we've done that and couldn't feel any pain. I remembered that because my old doctor always used to push on those areas and when I was younger there was definitely pain there. Mariah (my partner)'s aunt is a chiropractor so she tried to adjust me over the holidays and my muscles wouldn't allow her too so she said if I got adjustments and massages it would help loosen me up and could potentially even help with crohns. (Why a lot of crohns people do yoga)

KWalker

Day 5: January 6th

I feel like complete crap today. My joints hurt, I still have this stupid headache and I feel weak and without energy. I also have a fever. I've only eaten apple sauce so far today and I'll probably spend the day in bed relaxing if it stays like this. Are these common side effects of starting the diet?

For lunch I ended up eating some banana bread (made with almond flour), some fruits and some candied pecans. Nothing more than just finger food that I could slowly snack on.

For dinner, we had Quiche made with bacon, ham, cheese, mushroom, and broccoli.

Last edited:

I feel like complete crap today. My joints hurt, I still have this stupid headache and I feel weak and without energy. I also have a fever. I've only eaten apple sauce so far today and I'll probably spend the day in bed relaxing if it stays like this. Are these common side effects of starting the diet?
Those are common initial side effects of almost any diet involving a change in carbohydrate consumption. Are you drinking lots and lots of Water? Because dietary changes in carbs and fatty acids can dehydrate-which then results in headaches.

If you can take OTC pain meds. Then I recommend "Goodies Headache powders", which are actually just a combination of aspirin, IBuprofin, and caffeine, however, it's all pulverized into an extremely fine powder, so it's absorbed almost directly into the bloodstream, without going through normal digestive process--eliminating stomach upset often caused by taking aspirin. Plus, it works much, much faster.

I discovered "Goodies" first time I tried the Adkins diet, and found it resolved the headaches within 20 minutes! Same headaches and results with the South Beach Diet, which is also a carb. restricted diet.

Negative side effects usually start to lessen in about 10-14 days. I never did fully regain my energy levels while on carb. restricted diets though, and I've tried quite a few. Never stayed on any of them for more then a few months at a time though.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, this is normal. When I said E got worse before he got better, this is what I meant. He began having fevers of 103 with no other symptoms. He had two fever episodes in one week. He was very weak and tired and he lost a few pounds that week :( Then, it was like someone flipped a switch and he hasn't had that problem since. At least you know what it is, it will help you to push through.

KWalker

Okay good, thanks Charleigh. Knowing this is normal makes me feel a lot better. I started really craving a nice big chunk of chocolate today but even if I wanted to cheat, I had absolutely no energy to get up and get any. I am finally starting to feel a little bit better after taking ibuprofen thankfully. I've only went to the bathroom once so far today which is also good and keeps my hopes up for future success. I went to the bathroom last night and it was actually quite sore because I had to push to make it come out so it was quite solid at first but then went back to D throughout the BM.

Also, you can disregard the last part of my PM because you answered it here lol.

Ya Noy- I'm drinking quite a bit of water. I cut out pop and Monster energy drinks "cold turkey" so I've been keeping a cold bottle of water with me at all times so I can take a drink whenever I think about getting up to get a sugary drink. I will look into "goodies" and see if it's allowed. I need to start doing my research on the legal pain meds and supplements/multivitamins I can take so I can make sure I get all my nutrients. There's a brand called Freeda and it's an SCD specific brand with different vitamins available.

I know it's not the right time of year for you, but I'm eating them right now and might forget when your stone fruit season comes around...I find that stewed plums (skin on, but zapped into a puree) are really easy to tolerate. I've loked at a few sources and they seem to have quite considerable anti-inflammatory properties. I prefer the red-fleshed types, like satsuma. They do, of course, contain fruit sugars.

Because I love them, and their season is fairly short, I freeze in relatively small quantities so that I can defrost and have a taste of summer during the depths of winter.

I also eat raspberries and blueberries - zapped and strained to deseed - at this time of year. They both contain considerable quantities of flavonoid and other anti-oxidants .

Last edited:

KWalker

We have plums at the grocery store right now but I'm not sure which kind. The natural sugars found in fruit are allowed as well. I've been wanting to make a peach-plum smoothie actually.

I'm starting to feel better also. Mariah made a Quiche for dinner with bacon, ham, mushroom and broccoli. I'll upload a picture when I go on a computer. I also made myself a smoothie with hazelnut milk, banana, blackberries, strawberries and spinach. It tastes a lot better than it looks lol

It doesn't matter what sort of plums they are, they all contain the same qualities - I just like the dense red ones better. But don't peel any of the plums.

I need to peel peaches and, even then, can only tolerate small quantities.

I love summer here when all the stone fruit is in season, but I can give myself diarrhoea very easily! :)

KWalker

Well I hope I don't get diarrhea from all the smoothies I've been drinking! I just saw your edit and also really enjoy raspberries and blueberries. Is the high amounts of flavonoid a good thing? I've never heard of that before.

Oh, yes, flavinoids are certainly good things! There is a lot of research going on at the moment into their effects, but there seems to be general concensus that they have anti-oxident properties, helping the body to get rid of free radicals, and promising research into their positive effects on protecting the body against cancer and heart disease.

There are a number of different flavinoids, but the ones in red fruit and vegetables (and red wine) are anthocyanidins. They seem to be particularly strong in their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and other qualities.

And don't worry about the diarrhoea - I have a shortened small intestine and nothing below that, so am more susceptible than most. If you get it, just back off a bit and experiment until you find what is doing it to you.

I forgot to say this but I tend to boost my body up with good foods that raises my immune system which in turns starts get my immune system in the attack mode for some never ending cause on my intestines aka crohns in a nutshell. Look out for that when the immune system peaks higher with all the antioxidants.

I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this, but what about the expense of being on the SCD? Does it cost more than eating the way people who aren't on a restricted diet eat? if so by how much? Alot? :sign0085:

KWalker

Thanks Susan, I did not know that! I have seen studies that some of the oldest people in the world drink a glass of red wine everyday and it's supposed to be very beneficial.

Beatit- How would I ever know if my immune system is too high? Are there ways to tell? I didn't know there could be "too much of a good thing" when it comes to diet.

halfstep44- I don't think anybody could ever give an accurate estimate on the cost of the diet because it could basically be as cheap or expensive as the individual wants it to be. Like Charleigh said earlier, if you try to duplicate bread recipes it can become expensive but I made my own bread from almond flour and I found it very dense and it will probably be my last time making it because it wasn't as good as I was expecting and almond flour isn't cheap.

We usually spend about $300-$350 a month for groceries for two people. Sometimes there are better sales than others and some times we splurge and buy certain meats that are more expensive. Just think though, you could go to a fast food place and easily spend 15-20 dollars for two people to eat a meal that is made out of the lowest quality food and isn't good for anybody, or that 15-20 dollars could get you a decent amount of fruits and vegetables that will last you a week or two.

I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this, but what about the expense of being on the SCD? Does it cost more than eating the way people who aren't on a restricted diet eat? if so by how much? Alot? :sign0085:

There are too many variables to truly give a dollar or percentage amount. Some people who aren't on restricted diets spend a ton more than we do on groceries. We try our best to keep it reasonable.

Some tips that help:

Buy all natural or organic meats but wait for good sales, buy in bulk, and don't be stuck on premium cuts of meat. With a diet like this you should no longer fear fat. Without as many carbs, fat is your friend :)

Use all the meat ! a whole chicken can be roasted for one meal, leftover meat makes great chicken salad, and then you can place everything leftover in a crockpot and cover with water and let is stew for a few days. That can be a great stock to throw in some ingredients and create a soup :)

I don't try to replace carbs with like ones for every meal. We aren't eating almond bread sandwiches everyday for lunch and almond bread muffins for breakfast. Almond flour is expensive. We use it as a treat and in moderation.

Buy almond flour in bulk and freeze it. Blanched Almond flour is $11 a pound at my local grocer, but I got it for less than $5 a pound (shipping included) from www.honeyville.com I have heard that nuts.com is similar. Honeyville sends out coupon codes for 15% off. Go to their website and sign up for their email list and they will email you coupons occasionally. This helps.

Do you have a local warehouse store like Sam's or Costco? Consider pricing out the fruits and veggies you eat alot of and buying them there. You will be eating alot more fruits and veggies so you will no longer need to fear buying a large bag of bell peppers or apples.

Homemade Olive oil mayo is awesome. We flavor it many different ways to create all kinds of sauces. Buy a larger container of light tasting olive oil at Sam's or Costco and you will save $$ on it.

I really think that most families who eat out alot or buy prepackaged foods can eat this way for no more $$$.

KWalker

You guys have Costco in the US? We just went to our Costco here and found that while certain things like honey. But I found almonds cheaper at the bulk barn and between grocery stores, one of them is likely to have sales on meat that compare to Costco. One thing I noticed is that if you buy California almonds, they are signifcantly cheaper than other almonds. The key is to shop around instead of buying the first thing you see.

Also, like Charleigh said you can get used to buying fruits in vegetables in bulk and you WILL save money and you WILL use all of them before they go bad. You can even freeze some and they taste great in smoothies. We used to buy small bunches of fruits but learned that you can almost always find signifcantly larger sized bunches of fruits for 1 or 2 dollars more than a small amount.

I'm feeling much better today and will upload some pics from my meals when I go on the computer.

KWalker

Day 6, January 7th.
As I said above, I woke up feeling much better today. I weighed myself today and was down to 154.4 lbs however but right now I'm placing that on the fact that I didn't very much yesterday and felt like crap. I've got my coffee all down pat now with how much nut milk and honey to use.

I slept in today because I went to bed feeling crappy last night so I had more of a brunch again.
Brunch: Big piece of fried ham, two sliced of almond bread with peanut butter, strawberries, candied pecans. I didn't take a picture basically because I have pics of everything I ate already so I didn't think it would be necessary to have two of the same pictures.

Dinner: We found an awesome recipe for cheesy garlic bread (made with cauliflower) and WOW! it was delicious! We had that with lemon dill chicken breasts. Unfortunately the "bread" ended up taking longer than expected so we had to eat the chicken first so I didn't take a picture of it because we all know what a chicken looks like lol.

I'm just going to go ahead and post the recipe now for the garlic bread because I have a feeling others will be asking for it. You can't even taste the cauliflower this way and I thought it was actually comparable to a cheesy bread you would find in a fancy Italian restaurant.

Here's the recipe. http://whatsfordinner-momwhatsfordi...6/cheesy-garlic-cauliflower-bread-sticks.html

That looks so yum! We haven't tried cheese on E yet, but he has been asking and I think we might try soon. I will definitely try this if cheese checks out okay.

Charleigh, perhaps you might like to try some goats milk cheese. Some people find it easier to cope with than cows milk cheese. Unfortunately it is more expensive.

KWalker

Day 7, January 6th.
Today marks one week on the diet!

I woke up today feeling great! Today was my first day back to school for the winter term so I haven't had a complete meal yet. I've brought a TON of snacks to school like fruits/veggies, nuts, 2 smoothies, and some new macaroons Mariah made me. I'll probably have some dinner when I get home tonight.

I still have loose bowel movements, but the frequency is down to 1-3 times a day and it's been a few days since I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom!

The cravings/withdrawals have really start to hit me. I would walk miles barefoot in the snow right now for even the lowest quality chocolate available. Pastas and rice, and also pop I haven't really missed yet. Being my first day back for the semester, I'll have to get used to seeing people walking around with their bag of chips and other snacks.

My headache has gone but my ears still have the ringing in them. Regardless, I'm feeling much better!

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread :)
Its really good to be able to read about it from the beginning and know your symptoms and improvements. It gives a clear realistic idea of what it is like to do the diet.

KWalker

Thanks Holly! This is a learning experience for me so I really wanted to experience the importance of the diet to know whether I could keep doing what I'm doing or if I couldn't do it without doing the intro diet. I also wanted to show others how easy it is to make some of the foods because if I have time to make them, anybody does.

Yesterday I just ended up snacking when I got home. We were too tired to actually make anything. We did however make more candied pecans although this time we had almonds as well to give some variety.

Day 8, January 9.
Feeling great today. All diet-related problems have subsided for now. Still have the diarrhea and frequency is still the same.

Breakfast: Had my coffee with some apple sauce and fruits.

Lunch: Large chicken breast, strawberries. Also made a smoothie with strawberries, lime, hazelnut milk, blackberries, mint leaves I just bought and some ginger root. My list is growing of ingredients for the smoothies! lol. I'm making sure they're packed with ingredients haha.

Dinner: Tonight we're having spaghetti squash with grilled shrimp. We're doing a garlic and olive oil type of sauce. Like trying any new recipe we're nervous but if it tastes anything like the butternut squash it should be delicious.

I know it seems like I stopped posting pictures but it's just because I haven't tried anything new. I will edit this post with a picture of the spaghetti squash when we're done! :)

Last edited:

KWalker

Gahh I've been slacking. I've been so focused on school again that I haven't had time to come on here. Quick update- I went to the doctor and got the form so I can get the blood work. She had no problem giving it to me and said she thinks I'm crazy for going on a strict diet like that but if it works than she supports it. They're all very nice at my school.

I was at school last night from 10-9 so it was mostly snacks, chicken, etc. I got home and just whipped up some chicken, squash and carrots quickly. Mariah also made me banana muffins!

I'm off to school again in a minute but I promise over the weekend I will post and update

KWalker

Day 11, January 12

Thanks Charleigh :) Yes I am very busy! I already have a paper due on cloning and tissue engineering so I've been trying to find my own sources for it so I could start the paper. Being the weekend though, Mariah made a delicious dinner tonight. She made lemon-garlic chicken breasts, sweetened carrots in honey and butter, and spinach salad with an olive oil, lemon, and herb dressing. (See below)

As you can see in the picture, I only stopped doing textbook notes to eat and make my post

In other news, my BM's have been starting to form and I can "pass gas" now without worrying about anything else lol. The BM's are similar to what you would expect from a small dog (formed but small, and a bunch of pieces) but it is still getting better everyday!

I've lost 2lbs but I'm putting that on starting school and being new to the diet still I was somewhat unprepared for long days without access to a stove to cook meals so I'm not too worried about that. I'll just keep an eye on it.

The sheet for the blood work includes:
1.TSH (not sure what this is)
2.Vitamin B-12
3.Ferritin (not sure)
4.CBC
5.CRP
6.Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
7.Vitamin D- 25 Hydroxy
8.ESR
9.Calcium

Now I just have to find to go get the bloodwork lol. I'm hoping for sometime either Monday or Tuesday

Last edited:
Day 11, January 12

I've lost 2lbs but I'm putting that on starting school and being new to the diet still I was somewhat unprepared for long days without access to a stove to cook meals so I'm not too worried about that. I'll just keep an eye on it.

The sheet for the blood work includes:
1.TSH (not sure what this is)
2.Vitamin B-12
3.Ferritin (not sure)
4.CBC
5.CRP
6.Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
7.Vitamin D- 25 Hydroxy
8.ESR
9.Calcium

Now I just have to find to go get the bloodwork lol. I'm hoping for sometime either Monday or Tuesday

Looks like a great meal, yay for Mariah! Yay for the BM's too!

E lost before he gained so try not to worry too much at first. It took him a while to figure out the right amount to eat. Also, he learned to lean on the good fats (peanut butter and almond flour).

As far labs, TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (very standard) and I am pretty sure Ferritin is for iron levels. Everything looks pretty standard.

How did the spaghetti squash go? I've looked at it a couple of times in the green grocers, but have never tried it.

KWalker

Oh yes you're right about the Ferritin. I'm actually glad that's being checked because I used to have to get iron infusions while having my Remicade because my iron was so low.

I actually haven't had peanut butter in a few days because I didn't have any little tupperware containers to bring it to school so I had to get some. It makes a great snack with celery or the little cookies I made using your recipe.

We just made almond milk as well. We let them soak overnight the night before and they got huge! We made so much more milk using the same amounts of nuts as well did with the hazelnuts but because of the size, we got much more out of it.

KWalker

How did the spaghetti squash go? I've looked at it a couple of times in the green grocers, but have never tried it.
Susan, the spaghetti was good taste wise, but it's more crunchy than pasta. It was really easy to make and then once it's hot you just take a fork to it and then it turns all stringy. The taste is pretty bland so it could definitely be a pasta substitute I just think I might cook it for longer next time to see if I could make it softer.

Susan, the spaghetti was good taste wise, but it's more crunchy than pasta. It was really easy to make and then once it's hot you just take a fork to it and then it turns all stringy. The taste is pretty bland so it could definitely be a pasta substitute I just think I might cook it for longer next time to see if I could make it softer.
Yeah, spaghetti squash isn't normally crunchy. You probably didn't cook it long enough.

It's also easy to grow. Takes up quite a bit of garden space, but is also a good producer and freezes well. Not a good veggie for canning though.

KWalker

Oh really? Okay awesome. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or if that's just for how I cooked it. I think I link I found online said to cook it in the oven for about an hour.

I don't grow my own veggies because I live in an apartment but I think the spaghetti squash was only like two bucks at the grocery store. It makes A LOT too! We had heaping plates and still have a lot left.

Oh really? Okay awesome. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or if that's just for how I cooked it. I think I link I found online said to cook it in the oven for about an hour.

I don't grow my own veggies because I live in an apartment but I think the spaghetti squash was only like two bucks at the grocery store. It makes A LOT too! We had heaping plates and still have a lot left.
You know, bush tomatoes, most peppers and herbs grow well indoors, and make great house plants. Grow them the same as any other potted plants and keep them near windows that get the most morning sun. If you can snag a few full spectrum lights or bulbs, you can even grow them in the winter.

We're also sprouting some beans and chia seeds, right now, as well as various varieties of lettuce, using "Aerogardens" which are kind of a hydroponic device--normally rather pricy, but we found a few at liquidation sales for 80% off.

Spaghetti squash goes well with pasta (tomato) sauce too :)

KWalker

We've actually looked into growing indoors, and still do once and awhile we've just never followed through with it lol. That's why we used the spaghetti squash was to try it so we can eventually make our own pasta sauce.

We also made our own salad dressing. Its like a red wine vinegrette dressing and its pretty tasty. When I say we, its really just for me because Mariah can really use any dressing she wants. I've found some almost legal salad dressings that only had 1 illegal ingredient but I figured its still better to make it ourselves.

We've actually looked into growing indoors, and still do once and awhile we've just never followed through with it lol. That's why we used the spaghetti squash was to try it so we can eventually make our own pasta sauce.

We also made our own salad dressing. Its like a red wine vinegrette dressing and its pretty tasty. When I say we, its really just for me because Mariah can really use any dressing she wants. I've found some almost legal salad dressings that only had 1 illegal ingredient but I figured its still better to make it ourselves.
Moving away from processed foods is the reason we started growing our own veggies, and make as much as possible from scratch organically. We've planted fruit trees too, but it will be a few years yet before they start producing.

You can also boil spaghetti squash to soften it up to more of a pasta like consistency. Reduces cooking time as well, but also loses some of the nutrients in the water. (But you can then save the water for use as additional flavoring in soups.)

KWalker

Once we get our own house we want to grow fruits and vegetables. My grandpa had a garden and always had fresh vegetables so I want to do the same.

We wondered about boiling the squash. Would you boil it whole and then "string" it or do that first and the boil it?

Also, I got my blood taken today so they said I should have the results by Wednesday morning. I couldn't get Vitamin D or CMP (?) because they wanted an extra $120 because those two aren't covered. Unless those are really important than I'll get those later.

Susan2, can you tolerate raw foods and nuts? I also had a total colectomy and have Crohns. I have an internal J pouch and have had blockages. I chew everything up completely and it takes me forever to eat. Seeds, even sauted spinach can come through me undigested. I can eat soft nuts like pecans. Some things just give me D. Like blueberries. What can you eat?

KWalker

Wow, KWalker are you controlled by diet?
I am! So is Charleigh's son, and also Gianni and both doing well! For me personally it wasn't easy at first and I had many instances where I wanted to cave and eat the crap food again but I stuck through it and now my withdrawals are gone.

Before I used to avoid being around people eating normal food and now it doesn't even bother me when I see them because I've found foods that I can eat and can enjoy

Keep going with the SCD man, I felt amazing on it, I was only diagnosed on sept last year, and pretty much started on SCD straight away, took a whole but felt way better, pretty much just lived on chicken, fish, eggs, avo, soup etc, I'm now on a week of total liquid diet, and honestly I felt way better on the SCD I was doing, I just still had some blood even though I was feeling good... Still do have blood tho so I'm gonna give this thing another week then go back to SCD if no improvements

KWalker

Thanks man. If you don't mind me asking, why are you on the liquid diet if you were doing well on SCD? Thanks for the comment about the pics too lol.

So as you guys can see, my available time has gone significantly down and it makes me sad that I can't update this thread as much as I'd like. I've been doing a lot of my posts from my phone lately but I do have some pics to upload when I do go on.

I think I'll shift and post mostly pictures of dinner. My breakfasts haven't changed from the pics I've already posted and now with school I've been making breakfast foods I can snack on with my fingers while on the go.

Well basically because I was still passing blood, even though I was feeling good just sorta felt like I was on a constant straight line as opposed to professing to the point of not bleeding, the liquid diet I'm on sort of goes against my belief system w all the maltodextrin etc in it but I tried SCD for a solid few months and gave it a good shot, if the liquid diet doesn't stop the blood within another week I'll likely go back to SCD and maybe start on imuran. I'm stil Tryna taper off these preds, I don't know if it's a good thing or not that pred hasn't been helping, guess it could go either way.

Once we get our own house we want to grow fruits and vegetables. My grandpa had a garden and always had fresh vegetables so I want to do the same.

We wondered about boiling the squash. Would you boil it whole and then "string" it or do that first and the boil it?
You can do it either way, but if you boil raw it's advisable to first slice at least into halves or quarters, and remove seeds. Boil skin side up for about 15-20 minutes.

We've found that the easiest veggies to grow and biggest producers are tomatoes and zucchini squash. One or two plants of each supplies tons of veggies. (Of course to be accurate, tomatoes are a fruit.).

Before I used to avoid being around people eating normal food and now it doesn't even bother me when I see them because I've found foods that I can eat and can enjoy
My son is only eleven and he has found the same thing. The cravings leave and food just doesn't bother you anymore. I have been on a diet very similar to SCD for about a year and I found the same thing too. You adjust and move on with life. Even at his age, he sees it is worth it because he feels better.:)

Susan2, can you tolerate raw foods and nuts? I also had a total colectomy and have Crohns. I have an internal J pouch and have had blockages. I chew everything up completely and it takes me forever to eat. Seeds, even sauted spinach can come through me undigested. I can eat soft nuts like pecans. Some things just give me D. Like blueberries. What can you eat?
It's unusual to have a J-pouch when you have Crohn's, isn't it Marge?

I can only eat skinless walnuts and macadamia nuts - their flesh is much softer than most of the other nuts. I try to avoid seeds; as you say, they come through exactly as they went in. I also eat almost no raw vegetables, except cucumber. Lettuce comes out as lettuce! I eat a lot of cooked vegetables - not Swiss chard (what we call silverbeet), cabbage, onions, but I can eat English spinach and the softer Chinese greens if cooked and I can tolerate well-cooked leeks. And lots of other vegetables, too, including potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I can eat raw apples, if I grate them or chew them very thoroughly, and cooked plums, a few cherries at a time, and one piece of raw stone fruit a day. We are in the middle of stone fruit season here and the temptation is very great, but I have to remember the diarrhoea I get if I eat more than one apricot or nectarine or peach. Watermelon, but not the other melons, and watermelon makes delicious juice.

Sorry, I have rattled on for a bit long. Feel free to ask anything. :hug:

Susan,
Yes, I think we are a rarity. Our diets are very similar. I cook all my veggies & juice raw fruit. I can't tolerate raw blueberries, but i can eat peeled apples in small amounts....No raw citrus friuts! Even juiced they can be a challenge. I too can eat raw peeled cucumbers without big seeds. I usually
juice watermelon because the long read fibers come through whole, the first time I thought it was blood. What are English greens?

My fear is a blockage so I am very careful. I also love peaches, our season was in June-July. I can tolerate one peeled.

I would love to keep in touch!

Last edited:
I have difficulty with citrus other than lemon juice in very small quantities or in cooking. It's too acid for me. I think you just call it spinach - there is some confusion here between what we call silver beet (and you call Swiss chard) and spinach, so it tends to get called English spinach. I chop it finely and am still not sure whether I digest much of it. I find the long thin cucumbers, which we call telegraph cucumbers (but I think you call English cucumbers) are best, although I still peel them.

I gave myself a quite severe blockage once by eating a largish piece of cake, which I found out later was made from ground almonds and semolina!

I have sent you a message and yes, I would like to keep in touch, too.

KWalker

Susan and Marge, how are you guys with sesame seeds? My brother has an illeostomy and when eating hamburgers he has to order it on 2 bottom buns because the top usually has sesame seeds and he seems to have a lot of problems with them. Are you guys the same?

Also, I think I'll have time to update the thread today with some pics/info.

Hello
Your thread is really interesting and the photos are great (I see a cookbook in the future!). I look forward to seeing what happens over the next few weeks.
Thanks for doing this.
Carol 😋

KWalker

Thank you Carol, I appreciate that! No cook book, from me at least lol. Mariah (my better half) does most of the cooking because my skills are at the point where I could burn things in the microwave! haha.

Susan and Marge, how are you guys with sesame seeds? My brother has an illeostomy and when eating hamburgers he has to order it on 2 bottom buns because the top usually has sesame seeds and he seems to have a lot of problems with them. Are you guys the same?

Also, I think I'll have time to update the thread today with some pics/info.
The dreaded sesame seeds! I've been seen to sit there and pick them off one by one!! I had some pasta in a restaurant the other day - asked whether it could be done without the sesame seeds - waitress went off to check with the chef - came back to say it could. She put it on the docket, but when it came back, there were the sesame seeds! So I sent it back...

Yes, I order buns with 2 bottoms! My sister had UC but was cured with surgery many years ago. She has an outside appliance. I need to check this forum and see how many people have direct relatives! She eats everything but in moderation. When she gets a blockage it is at her stoma and can be corrected immediately at the ER. Twice she has had one from raw broccoli salad, but she still eats it being careful to chew, chew, chew!

KWalker

So I guess it's pretty common than. I just figured he was being too cautious because they were so small I couldn't see them doing any harm.

KWalker

Day 14, January 15
TODAY IS TWO WEEKS!!

Okay so I haven't updated this with symptoms and that lately so here it is. I had a bouts of diarrhea yesterday for no apparent reason but when I went today it seemed to be fairly solid again. I dropped down to 153lbs but have gained two pounds back so I'm now sitting at 155lbs.

My food cravings are pretty well gone, and I haven't had a headache in quite a while. It doesn't bother me when I see other people eating around me because I think I'm at that point where this new seems to be working for me so I don't want to ruin anything by cheating.

These are the meals I've had over the last three days.

Ribs with honey glazed carrots. For the ribs we used honey and some spices/seasonings to add flavor.

Pretty much a cheeseburger without the bun. Also had the mixed veggies as you can see. The burgers are home made so without additives it was a bit harder trying to get them to stick together.

Tonight we had a chicken salad with bacon, mushrooms, squash, cheese and spinach with a olive oil type dressing.

I got my blood taken yesterday and the results are in but they want me to talk to the doctor about them and the earliest she is available is Friday morning so unfortunately I won't know the results are until then.

You are doing so great! Your meals look lovely :) I am so glad you started this thread to track your progress. I wish I would have thought to do that with E. I haven't even kept a diary and I should have because sometimes I remember things but I can't tell you at which week it happened.

Wow! Your fiance is awesome!! It looks like some great food. I think it is great that your significant other is being so supportive, I hope my son finds some one when he is older that is willing to walk the journey with him as your fiance has!! Three cheers for Mariah!

KWalker

Jam300: We saw that after making them lol. Will definitely do that next time.

Carleigh: As always, thanks :) I'm glad I decided to do it as well. In a way it helps me stick to the diet because when I do have cravings or feel like I can't eat anything I just look on here at all the pictures I've posted and realize I can still have lots of great foods. I don't know if you guys have made the candy nuts yet, but I could live off them. They're addicting! lol

Clash: She really is! She actually really likes the diet too and follows it herself so she can eat healthier and feel better as well. It would be so much harder if she didn't because we would both have to cook seperate meals. Her birthday is coming up on Sunday so I'm going to spoil her.

Key is to keep full and have snacks on hand. Almond bread with peanut butter and homemade jelly. (pb&j)
Bananna
Smoothie my son loves. (dry curd cheese, yogurt, 4 banana, honey, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter) complete with some ice and mix away. Keeps him full!

If you don't mind me saying. Maybe the juice you might want to reduce. Really do not want to drink OJ in the morning as long as you still have the D. "Breaking The Vicious Cycle" I will only allow my son the have 2 glasses of juice per day. This is half/half and mostly the Welch grape juice.