• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa, Cipro, & Flagyl (Help Please)

I know Pentasa is similar to asacol with a bit more delayed release, but as far as I know it's safe.... I'm worried about the Cipro/Flagyl the doctor has prescribed to me for the next 14 days. Both are 500 MG and he wants me to take Cipro twice a day and Flagyl three times a day (every 8 hours). I have googled these regimens and everyone seems to have bad things to say about them. It destroys both good and bad bacteria, will it come back? Anyone have any experience with these and what do you suggest I do before I start these medications?

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am a pro at Flagyl, I am rarely off it but only in low doses or major flares like I did last week. You can vomit but I don't never have, you can feel a bit nauseated at times but make sure you eat food with it. Cipro is hard because you can't dairy or Nexium products 6 hours before or 2 hours after. Also Cipro is best on an empty stomach. You can get a furry tongue or whitish tongue, but brushing your tongue helps and with Cipro you must drink a good amount of water. All these symptoms will subside, and they do work. Tired I dont get from them either. A metalic taste is common. BTW NO alcohol at all with flagyl not even cough syprup with alcohol... you wanna puke your guts out that will do it. Let me know what else. Long term sides you dont have to worry but you can get a buzzing feeling in your muscles and Cipro can make your back ankles hurt, if that happens let the doc know.

I take them while using any kind of antibiotic, or any other treatment method in which a large variety of bacteria are going to be killed off.

I have had problems with Garden of Life probiotics, so I stopped using them. Just gave me the big D.

I am now using Jarrow Formula Ideal Bowel Support. I do not notice any difference using it, but it is a preventative measure.

Dan

I am a pro at Flagyl, I am rarely off it but only in low doses or major flares like I did last week. You can vomit but I don't never have, you can feel a bit nauseated at times but make sure you eat food with it. Cipro is hard because you can't dairy or Nexium products 6 hours before or 2 hours after. Also Cipro is best on an empty stomach. You can get a furry tongue or whitish tongue, but brushing your tongue helps and with Cipro you must drink a good amount of water. All these symptoms will subside, and they do work. Tired I dont get from them either. A metalic taste is common. BTW NO alcohol at all with flagyl not even cough syprup with alcohol... you wanna puke your guts out that will do it. Let me know what else. Long term sides you dont have to worry but you can get a buzzing feeling in your muscles and Cipro can make your back ankles hurt, if that happens let the doc know.
Last question I promise! I was planning on taking the Flagyl at 12AM, 8AM, and 4PM. I was going to take the Cipro at 8AM and 4PM. Do you think that would be a good schedule? Or should I try and take the cipro at a different time?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You can take Cipro/Flagyl together.

My son was on Augmentin/Flagyl combo with the same regime as you and we did it this way....

Augmentin and Flagyl before breakfast.

Flagyl at about 2pm.

Augmentin and Flagyl at bedtime...about 10pm.

He was on that regime for 3 months, he didn't suffer with any side effects from either antibiotic.

Good luck!
Dusty. xxx

Thank you, Dusty! I was in a wee bit of doubt but the current pain overwhelming even a powerful painkiller drove me to go ahead and take the Cipro. I will take it before breakfast tomorrow morning, then take the Flagyl with breakfast.

kiny

The gut flora always comes back if that's what you're worried about, there is no antibiotic that can wipe out the gut flora, your gut flora is incredibly powerful. Specific kinds of commensals can disappear though, people with crohn have dysbiosis, and AIEC bacteria are exploiting this. What you should do like others have said is add probiotics, to avoid things like toxic megacolon and c-difficile.

As with any medication, it is important to understand what is possible. If there are any questions, contact your pharmacist and always ask for thorough counseling. If you ten experience anything covered by your pharmacist or found in patient leaflet, then let your dr. Know ASAP.
The important thing to remember about probiotics, is do not take within 2 hours of your antibiotics, it makes them ineffective. Yes, do remember to NO alcohol with fagyl- hand sanitzers, mouthwashes, some lotions, etc.... can not stress the importance of this. I've seen not only vomiting b/c of this, but hospitalization. Good luck. They are a great combo. Flagyl® specifically targets the gut which is great.
Keep us posted on how it goes. Muah- hugs-

KWalker

As far as side effects, I've taken those same doses of cipro/flagyl together with absolutely no side effects. Don't get too worked up about what you see on the internet. You'll always hear about the bad things and never the good. You can look on the crohnsforum for examples although we're a little smarter than the posts you can find on yahoo answers and stuff like that.

You can look for 5 minutes in any section and see "I got these side effects" or "this medication gave me this" but you never read "I took this medication with no side effects!" Because really, there's no reason to make a thread that you never got side effects with that medicine. Do you know what I mean?

I know Pentasa is similar to asacol with a bit more delayed release, but as far as I know it's safe.... I'm worried about the Cipro/Flagyl the doctor has prescribed to me for the next 14 days. Both are 500 MG and he wants me to take Cipro twice a day and Flagyl three times a day (every 8 hours). I have googled these regimens and everyone seems to have bad things to say about them. It destroys both good and bad bacteria, will it come back? Anyone have any experience with these and what do you suggest I do before I start these medications?
I have just started all the same meds together and are experiencing nausea, dizzyness, dry mouth and now (the 3rd day upper stomach and back pain like a crushing and twisting feeling. Hurts all the time but seems to hurt more when I'm up walking. To be honest not sure if the pain is from by stomach or chest) . O...AND brown urine.

Have any of you experienced any if this being on all three???

I was on Cipro/Flagyl for years when I was first diagnosed, and on Pentasa too for a while. I think it far more likely that it is the antibiotics that are causing the side effects (prob Flagyl) rather than the Pentasa.

I didn't any trouble, but that sounds serious enough to warrant a call to your doctor.

I've taken them together, you need to take a probiotic afterwards, it does make everything taste bad. You may also need prebiotic foods as well, look that up on Internet. You may also need yeast treatment.