• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dairy milk substitute

Milk sub

Does anyone have any ideas on a milk substitute for smoothies and what not? I am lactose intolerant and have been using soy for years. Lately I have been getting bloated with soy and I have read some things lately that make me not want soy anymore as well. I can't drink almond milk because I am allergic to almonds. Rice and coconut milk have too much sugar. Since I have sugar issues I can't have a lot of fruit either. I usually have a protein drink, made with protein powder, in the morning and I am at a loss on what to blend with it besides my banana. :dance:

Have you tried any of the lactose free products, such as "lactaid"?

My husband is totally allergic to milk. It doesn't just upset his stomach, he breaks out in hives all over his body, but he has no problem drinking the lactose free products. He can also eat yogurt and kefir, both of which are normally 99% lactose free.

You can also mix protein drinks with water, and to use oil to add calories and fat.

KWalker

Those of us on the scd diet make our own milk, and there's sugar or dairy added! I'm currently finishing off some hazelnut milk but you can make milk from any nut, or even coconut! It's super easy

I am not a big Lactaid fan. I am not 100% good with yogurt either, although the soy ones were okay. I have never tired Kefir. I have seen the name pop up everywhere, especially with the Paleo and SCD diets. I have seen the homeade nut-milk recipes, and they do look pretty easy to make. I have seen hazlenut milk at Whole Foods, maybe I will get a small container of that and Kefir and see how it goes. I guess if all of those irritate my tummy, then it will be just water and oil. =( The tummy keeps getting pickier and picker. Thanks for your responses. =)

KWalker

I don't use Kefir. My hazelnut milk is just nuts and water. You blend it all together and then strain it through a cheesecloth so you don't get all the extra "pulp"

If you end up going the water/oil route, you might also try using coconut oil, or 'ghee', which is a clarified butter in which all the milk solids and proteins are removed, leaving only the fat-- totally lactose free, while also more flavorful and richer tasting than most other oils.

You might also try adding some vanilla extract or other flavored extracts to add some taste, without adding extra sugar.

If you are just looking to buy something, we love original almond milk in the refrigerated section of the grocery. For my son on SCD we avoid prepackaged nut milks and make homemade coconut or almond milk instead.

So I tried kefir, but they all contain tons of milk products in them. They did have a lactose free kefir which contained lactaid. It actually was pretty good and didn't cause too much bloating, but I think because of the milk in it I won't use this so much. I can't drink almond milk because I am allergic to almonds. I am going to try and make hazelnut milk. I have everything to make it, just need to find a recipe for the proportions of water and nuts. I just looked up hemp milk and it sounds great and quite healthy too. I am going to see where I can purchase that. No THC is in it, so it should be in health food stores I think. Again, thanks for all the responses! =)

Kefir should be naturally mostly lactose free since the bacteria feed on the lactose and that's how you get kefir.
Kefir is normally 99% lactose free. The lactose in milk is consumed by the little kefir probiotic cultures--it's what they feed on so they can multiply and grow.

There are other substances in milk though that some people are allergic or sensitive to, such as casein.

I would urge you to try to make your own coconut milk. I just made it for the first time. It's easy if you have a food processor and a nut milk bag (for straining). It's soooo much better tasting than that stuff from the carton which I don't like at all and I did NOT sweeten mine.

Plus I got tons more than you get from the 14 oz. canned kind. I got 40 oz. (5 cups) from one coconut, which cost me $1.50 US. And I have a few cups of shredded coconut left over that I'm now toasting in the oven for recipes.

there is a water kefir called tibicos, so it's dairy free.
s'posed to be like soda and can be flavoured with fruit.

Anything from a shop is gonna be loaded with sugar and crap (well almost anything).

make your own and flavour to suit
http://iskra.tripod.com/nomilk/altmilk.htm
http://simpleurbanliving.com/tag/homemade-milk-alternatives/
I bought some milk kefir to use in my coconut milk. I didn't know about water kefir when I placed the order. Do you think the water kefir would work better in coconut milk?

Jer

Use pasturized egg whites. Yea, may sound unnapealing, but it will add protien and help thicken up your shake.

I literally drink a cup of it plain, in addition to my 5-6 whole eggs every morning.

I bought some milk kefir to use in my coconut milk. I didn't know about water kefir when I placed the order. Do you think the water kefir would work better in coconut milk?
never tried it (yet)
My water kefir is just starting out, my milk kefir just looks weird and my kombucha has gone mouldy

coconut milk kefir is made with milk kefir grains, but the first one or two may not work.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/coconut-milk-kefir-recipe
"Sometimes kefir grains will require an adjustment period so the first batch of coconut milk kefir may not culture as desired."

coconut water kefir? i've seen recipes using milk or water kefir grains
http://ediblegoddess.com/2011/04/coconut-water-kefir/

suck it and see:thumright:

coconut milk uses milk kefir grains. But for the first few batches, you might want to add a little powdered dairy milk powdered milk, to help it along.