Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and Bladder Problems

01-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
faith76

Crohn's and Bladder Problems

HI!

Has anyone ever had any urinary problems due to the Crohn's? Any feedback would be so helpful. I've been experiencing pressure on my bladder and urinary frequency for years. Urologists have ruled out everything. Some doctors attribute it to the Crohns; others don't. I just learned that Pentasa, which I was taking on and off for several years, could contribute to the frequency but I'm off of it now and it's still happening.
Anyone else experience this??? Thanks
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Becca1991

I had the same problems, doctors thought it was a UTI but test always came back normal, i had frequency, even after going i would feel like i had 2 go again and pressure in my bladder, the doctor said its proberly the bowel pushing on the bladder

Current Meds
Azathioprine 50mg
Allopurinol 100mg

Been on
Azathioprine 50mg x3
Humira April-August 2010
Prednisone October 2009-July 2010
Folic Acid
Multi Vitamins
Calcium 2500g
Vitamin D
Ranitadine 2x 150mg
B12 injection
Ciprofloxacin 500mg
01-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I get this too. The pressure feeling is horrible! I also get pain when going sometimes. After 4 courses of antibiotics, which did nothing, and all my tests coming back clear the doctors decided it was probably crohn's related. I only get it when I have a flare thank goodness, it can be so painful.

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
01-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Rebecca85

I also have something similar- I go very frequently but sometimes (especially at night for some reason) I'll have false alarms where my bladder feels full, so I get up and there's just a trickle. I have always had a small bladder, but it's got worse recently, which I attribute to meds since docs couldn't find a reason.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Cookie

I also have something similar- I go very frequently but sometimes (especially at night for some reason) I'll have false alarms where my bladder feels full, so I get up and there's just a trickle. I have always had a small bladder, but it's got worse recently, which I attribute to meds since docs couldn't find a reason.
I get the same thing a lot. And sometimes I can't go until I pass gas or have a BM. That's why I think it has to do with pressure from my colon on my bladder.
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I've been having all the usual UTI symptoms since Sept, sometimes with infection, sometimes not. After several courses of antibiotics, my GP sent me for an ultrasound as she thought there must be an underlying problem and that showed a loop in my small bowel 'not pulsating'. I have a surgical clinic consult at the end of Feb. Doc says the affected loop is right next to my bladder. Crohns has been mentioned as a possibility.
I have almost constant pain or pressure in my stomach on the right and in the pelvic area. Some foods and caffeine are definite triggers, and when the pain flares, the UTI symptoms do too.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
glum chump

My Support Groups:
Count me in as feeling pressure on my bladder and not being able to go until my bowels are clear. Since my Crohn's diagnosis, I also find it hard to relieve my bladder---I usually have to shift and distribute my body in different ways in order to pass urine. I've had ultrasounds done, but all the tests come back clear. I'm not sure if this is due to the presence of inflammation in my anus and whether there's some connective nerve lapses in communication that happens between the anus and rectum and the bladder/pelvic area. This last bit is just my own personal theory and not based in anything 'scientific' or 'medical'!
01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
biteyshark

My Support Groups:
Same thing here. Although they have found kidney infection in the past, and I've had some kidney stones. But still have the frequency issue pretty much all the time.
tramadol, calcium + vit + probiotics
01-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Kidney stones are Crohns related and sometime can build up, and cause pain the bladder and so uncomfortable, if antibiotics dont work, chances are you could have a stone. An Ultrasound will help. I just had this problem for a month and passed a stone with no pain. Get is checked out.
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
faith76

Thank you all so much for replying! While I feel badly that you have all experienced something somewhat similar, it's good to know that I'm not alone in this. I will definitely look into some of the options that some of you suggested, and will keep you posted. Please do the same! Thanks again to all-it means a lot
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think most of my problems have been UTIs. When I get a flare-up and have diarrhea, not to sound gross, but things can get messy. I've had several very bad UTIs after flare-ups. They were to the point of having blood in my urine. I've had several doctors lecture me on drinking enough and even hygiene. I have always been a clean person and was VERY offended by the hygiene suggestions and comments. I flat out told a doctor, "If you had explosive diarrhea, and you weren't next to a shower, you'd clean up as best as you can, and you probably would suffer the UTI also."
01-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I've had kidney stones in the past, and get yearly follow ups with a urologist.....attributed to my having crohns.....I do also sometimes have the frequent urges to pee with no/little output and no infection.......

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #13
clearwell

I am having the urine infections and have been on three lots of different anti biotics which clear it up for a week or so and then it comes back,my doc at hospital said its crohns related cause your bowel presses on your bladder.It is painful after I try and go feels like my stomach is dropping out.I have never suffered with urine problems in my life until the last year or so.
01-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Wouldn't wish the symptoms on anybody, but it's kinda good to know I'm not alone in this! Clearwell, what's happening to you is exactly what's been happening to me. Although, I did have a lot of problems about 25 years ago, but those turned out to be caused by an ovarian cyst which must have been pressing on my bladder.
I seem to have fought off the infection, although I still have the frequency and feeling of pressure. Getting really tired too as I'm waking up several times in the night to go to the loo, which I didn't have a problem before.
So hanging on for another month to see the surgical consultant to find out what's going on.
01-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #15
clearwell

I am up in the night too and when you get to the bathroom you go about a teaspoonful,get back into bed pull the quilt up and it starts again.I was up twice last night which is good for me but I can actually touch the right side of my body without pain today so I think the combination of pills are kicking in.Long may it last and I agree with you ignorance definitely ain't bliss which I found to my cost.x
01-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a UTI right now. Most antibiotics make me sick, so I have to take an anti-nausea med with it. I know Crohn's has messed up my bladder.
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
Ever since the IBD started I too have an occasional bladder problem, where by I can dribble. I'll sit there, do my business, make sure I am done, wipe, stand up and then occasionally I will dribble a little. I could sit there for 30 mins making sure I am done and it would still happen!
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
01-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
ChaoticKylee

My Support Groups:
I only used to urinate a couple of times a day but ever since I started Prednisone back in September I am constantly looking for a bathroom to go #1. Even in the middle of the night(which I never used to do). Does anyone else find that this is the case when taking Prednisone?
Gave up on Imuran, did not work.
Remicade every 6 weeks.

"God said He will not put more on us than we can bear...I just don't know why He has such faith in me."
~Mother Theresa

"Worrying is like rocking a chair, gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere."

http://chaoticlifeofkylee.blogspot.com/
01-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
claggj

I have the same problems. I go and then stand up and it is like I still need to empty my bladder. I have been to see a Urologist and had a cystoscopy but they saw nothing. GI says it is probably inflammation from my instestines putting pressure on my bladder. It is a horrible feeling but unfortunately it is just one of the many horrible feelings I have these days.

Jordan
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, add me to the list. I went to the gyno last week for a UTI. I had A LOT of blood in my urine, though my culture was negative. I am having a retest this Friday, and I am hoping no blood is found and all is clear. Otherwise, I will have to go to a urologist to check for kidney stones - nice!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Rebecca85

Kylee- just read your post, my dog is on pred at the moment and is suffering with frequent urination. The vet did say that increased thirst and urination were expected side effects. I know you're not a dog, but I guess all mammals' internal workings are similar, pred is used much the same in animals as humans and with the same side effects.
02-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
LadyVik

Pred makes me pee And pressure of my bowels makes me feel like I need to pee. I've had loads of infections, taking anti-biotics etc.. But I actually never thought about bringing this up to my doc?? Good to know I'm not the only one!!

Currently on -

Humira - Fortnightly shot
Codeine Phosphate - 30mg 4 times daily
Pain medication as and when
Omeprazole - 1 capsule daily
Going through ANOTHER flare!!!! :@ ("Remission" lasted the whole of 4 weeks :/

Considering surgery as another route. AGAIN!!
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
krbsmom

I was having a similar problem before I was dxed with Crohns. I kept going in circles from the obgyn, pcp and GI all of them telling me nothing was wrong, this went on for a couple of yrs before I ened up in ER. I kept having UTI like symptoms sometimes i would have a uti sometimes i wouldn't, it also hurt to have relations too though. I guess during surgery stuff got moved around cause it has stopped since my resection.
02-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #24
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
What do you know, I too have pressure and frequency. Everything has checked out so I've concluded it's Crohn's related and this thread has just helped me confirm my suspicions. I'm also on Pentasa.

It's really annoying. I hate to drink anything. I drink one glass and feel FULL in my bladder all day it seems. Did I mention how annoying it is??
02-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #25
bangarang

Never had this feeling till the 2 past weeks, thought it was kidney stones since Ive had 3 kidney stone attacks the past 2months, but every test I take everything is perfect according to the urologist. Relief to know so many people have this was starting to think something was seriously wrong.
02-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #26
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was having a similar problem before I was dxed with Crohns. I kept going in circles from the obgyn, pcp and GI all of them telling me nothing was wrong, this went on for a couple of yrs before I ened up in ER. I kept having UTI like symptoms sometimes i would have a uti sometimes i wouldn't, it also hurt to have relations too though. I guess during surgery stuff got moved around cause it has stopped since my resection.
Yes, me too! After my hysterectomy it stopped hurting for a while, but now I can't hear running water without tinkling. I can't sleep through the night w/o getting up to go, either, and it's worse when I'm flaring.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #27
faith76

Thank you all again for your replies. I recently visited a high-risk OB to discuss getting pregnant on azathioprine. I began discussing my bladder problems with him and after doing some research, he called me to tell me that 2-3% of people on PENTASA experience urinary frequency. I've been off the pentasa for a few weeks now so we'll see what happens. I've been on pentasa for years yet NONE of my doctors bothered to do the research. Figures. Thanks again, everyone!
03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
joshw2011

I don't have so much trouble anymore... But when I was young, I used to wet the bed all the time. Not sure exactly when it went away, but I think it went away about the time of diagnosis... Always wondered if they were related, but never think to ask!
03-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #29
Awbrey

Count me in to. Especially at night I have the urge to go at least 6-7 times glad there are others out there.
03-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #30
DanaDeadPetals

So glad I found this thread! I too have the same thing. I used to get UTI's often but over the course of a year those have subsided. I was thinking it had to be a flare putting pressure on my bladder. Great thread

Remicade every 6 weeks
6MP 50MG daily started 3/8/11

No sugar, limit dairy, no fast food, fried food, or processed food and lots of water.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and Bladder Problems