• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Location of fissure

Hi,
I have been suffering from fissures since October of last year...probably 3 out of 5 times i will see bright red blood on the toilet paper. They are relatively painless but i will feel a slight tug sensation which usually signals that I will see blood when i wipe. When I have tried to inspect the fissures I have noticed that they are not at the 12 or 6 o'clock locations that is apparently the norm for a non-complicated fissure. The one I can see is located off the linear line at a 9 o'clock angle which I have read requires investigation as it can particularly signal crohn's.
Has anyone had any experience of a fissure that was in an odd location that wasn't due to their crohn's? I asked my doctor and he said 'it doesn't matter where it is, it's just a fissure don't worry' but the internet strongly contradicts this.

I have noticed that they are not at the 12 or 6 o'clock locations that is apparently the norm for a non-complicated fissure.
I asked my doctor and he said 'it doesn't matter where it is, it's just a fissure don't worry' but the internet strongly contradicts this.
Good Day Meg,
Sorry for your suffering.
I have had multiple fissures for many years.
Sometimes I have more than 10 little ones at once, which feels like a rash.
Usually I have a few larger deeper fissures which linger.

I am not comfortable with the suggestion that location is a significant factor?
Fissure is fissure to me.
I am not comfortable with the idea that fissure location suggests CD either.

I'd rather say fissure is fissure & big ones hurt more than lil ones.
ymmv
peace
w

ps
Caution, the internet is unfiltered and the truth sometimes poorly represented.
:p

Walt-

I agree, the brochure lied.

I want my money back! "They" can either let me return it OR if there are enough of
us, a class action law suit to get our money ( lives) back would be a good idea!!

Lauren
:rof:

Hiya Meg,
okay, so I was up sleepless in the night with ouchies...

found this website:
http://www.ibdclinic.ca/what-is-ibd/clinical-presentation-of-ibd/

from which I dug this quote up:
"What is the difference between simple anal fissure and a fissure associated with Crohn’s disease?

Simple anal fissures are generally located in the posterior (6 o’clock) or anterior (12 o’clock) position. The tear is usually superficial with sharp, clean edges.

Crohn's anal fissures can be at any position and the tear is usually deeper with jagged, irregular edges."

Is this the kind of stuff you read, Meg?
All of my fissures have been CD related, so that means I have no...
non-Crohn's disease fissure experience.

No one has yet responded to Meg's original question...
Has anyone had anal fissures not at 6:00 or 12:00, and not had IBD?

inquiring minds want to know?!?
peace
w

ps
fissures are hard to count - aren't they!?!
: O

Hi All,
That makes good sense to me, Ron.

Who can blame a person with a sore butt for not noticing the gory details?
Fissures can be tricky to spot for someone other than the sufferer.
Fissures can be tricky to spot especially for the sufferer!
How much time should one spend sitting gently upon mirrors??

Not to mention... pulling the skin taught to help make them more visible...
hurts and can totally make the tears worse! : O

I used-to-think my anal fissures were ruining my life.
Then I got thrombosed hemmies & three fistulas.
New troubles made me pay less attention & mind to my fissures.

This is my current 3-pronged-approach to persistent anal fissures.
I currently deal with fissures by letting them hurt, largely ignoring them and keeping the region clean-as-possible.

Meg I see you are trying to gather clues toward solving a mystery.
First question on this forum echoes over & over again.
What medical tests have you had thus far?
and which tests are hoping to have-done in the future?

sorry, wish we had more & better info on this ugly topic???
wishing you only well,
w

ps
I should make a list of all of the many fissure remedies I have tried.
None of them seemed to help me in any meaningful way?
shucks
: P

Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner and for all the useful info. To date I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, small bowel MRI, capsule endoscopy and about a million bloodtests. The colonoscopy was done in 2013, where I had general abdominal symptoms but it wasn't until mid 2015 that I got really ill with stomach pain, constant upset stomachs and lost weight etc etc.

I am having a anoscopy next month to hopefully find some answers for the bleeding from suspected fissures-I have asked my GP for a repeat colonoscopy as the one from 2013 was prior to all these new symptoms but his response was ...'you do not have crohn's'. Obviously I am hoping the results come back with hemmies or fissures but who knows.