• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kc's Story

Hey there everyone,
Been a while since I have joined a new forum, so lets see...

Back when I was about 16 I started having the symptoms we all know too well, and I spent the better part of my days in the bathroom. I was a freshman in high school, and lets just say the bathrooms offered no privacy! Every day was hell for me to even go to school. I was sick, and it only got worse. I was losing weight at the rate of a couple pounds a week, I went from a good weight of about 140 or so, down to about 100 over the course of the year. I started to looks so sick and pale that my teachers actually called a meeting for/about me.
This is when my parents decided enough was enough. I had already been through the rounds of doctors locally, none could figure me out. So I was taken to Childrens Hospital in Denver. I was scheduled for a colonsocopy (my second) right away, and did the whole barium, contrast, and other nasty stuff. Within a day or two my doctor their knew without a doubt, what was wrong. I was diagnosed with crohns, from my throat all the way through to the end. I now knew why my throat was always hurting too!

So I spent a little over a week in the hospital. I was anemic, dehydrated, and all that good stuff. I was put on somewhere aroung 70-80 mg of prednisone. And boy was I HUNGRY!

Forgot to mention, after all was said and done..It took well over a year for me to be diagnosed, and to finally know what was wrong with me. It was a relief, while at the same time a concern. I had an incurable disease...now what?

Of course at this time, I had NO idea what crohns was. All I knew was that my biological dad (who is no father at all) had this disease, and had surgery several times from it. SO naturally I was concerned. Luckily I had a fantastic nurse who found a laptop, and snuck it in for me. With this laptop and internet access, I found out everything I wanted to know, and found other people who had the same disease.

Now I am 21, and begining to get back to the same level I was when first diagnosed. I am losing weight constantly, and hurting every single day. No medication seems to work, and I have tried the vast majority of them.
As of lately I have tried various natural type remedies, all with virtually no change.
SO now I am left wondering, if I will EVER feel good. As it stands now, I am not sure I know what that even feels like anymore.

Anyway, here I am. I am glad to be a part of the group!

Last edited:
D

Dominiquemcdean

hello i am new here too hope to speak with you at some point soon

J

jyarmo

Hi Kc!
Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's a shame that you aren't feeling so hot nowadays. We're all routing for you and hope that everything works out. I know that you WILL feel good again! Now that you're apart of this group, good things will happen I just know it! :)

jyarmo said:
Hi Kc!
Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's a shame that you aren't feeling so hot nowadays. We're all routing for you and hope that everything works out. I know that you WILL feel good again! Now that you're apart of this group, good things will happen I just know it! :)
Its positive people like you that keep me going :) Thanks for the replies! :D

R

ReeRee

Sweetie, I hate to hear that you're having such a rough go of it right now. But things will get better! I promise. It may not seem like it now, but they will. Try not to let it get you down. I hope the docs find something to help you soon. We're all here for you whenever you need us! You've found a great group of people here!

Thanks for sharing your story with us and please come back often. We'd love to have you around!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Thank you for sharing your story with us kc0eks. It is so unfortunate to hear that things are not that great right now, but you just need to realize that things WILL get better. I know it is hard but you just need to be patient and things will get better. One day you will look back and will not believe how much things have changed. Just keep fighting and you will get through this.

K

Kate

Thanks for the story Kc

I'm sorry that nothing has worked for you. Have you tried slippery elm bark its ment to sooth you digestive tract and help with inflamation. I have afew other options if you wanna chat at some point.

All the best Kate

J

jyarmo

Slippery Elm Bark...I haven't heard about that before!
Is that taken as a tablet? Could you tell us all about it Kate?