• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Running/Exercise helps me treat Crohns Disease

Hi there,

It's been really great reading everyone's stories and how you all have different coping mechanisms.

I'm 28 and I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 17. I had symptoms since I was 12 years old.

I had a very bad attack when I was 17/18 which lasted for months. I nearly lost my life during that attack - it was particularly bad and really took a lot out of my body. It took YEARS for me to recover.

One of the things I am convinced that helped me was exercise. I used to fall asleep ALL THE TIME. I used to need a nap like a baby every few hours. After a year or two recovering from the bad attack, I decided I needed to try everything in my power (i.e aside from medication) to try and control/treat this.

I started going to the gym and eventually moved into running. I ran casually for years. Only doing one 5mile race about 5/6 years ago.

Last year I mustered up the motivation to do a 10k.... then I did a 10 mile, then a half marathon and yep... I still can't believe it myself but I completed my first marathon last October.

I am fully convinced eating cleaner and running has transformed me. Exercising has made me so strong and running has been a huge part of that.

If anyone wants any help or wants any tips, I'd love to help :rosette2: I hope some of you will consider exercising as a means of treating Crohns. :dusty:

I document my journey on instagram. Please follow me at @crohns_runner
If anyone else with Crohns has an instagram I'd love to follow you too!

I've definitely believe that exercising and clean eating has helped me stay in remission. I've been medication free for three years now, and finally feel really good.

It's positive to read that there's someone else out there who feels the same!

I've definitely believe that exercising and clean eating has helped me stay in remission. I've been medication free for three years now, and finally feel really good.

It's positive to read that there's someone else out there who feels the same!

Isn't it just incredible? I really believe that once we allow ourselves recover from an attack, and give our body's a chance, we can help it along and make it stronger through exercising.

I found it very tough at the beginning. Going from falling asleep every second to being able to run for 5 minutes without stopping was mind blowing!

Isn't it just incredible? I really believe that once we allow ourselves recover from an attack, and give our body's a chance, we can help it along and make it stronger through exercising.

I found it very tough at the beginning. Going from falling asleep every second to being able to run for 5 minutes without stopping was mind blowing!

I really enjoy running too! I'm absolutely terrible at it, very slow and find it really hard work but I love getting the fresh air and feeling that I've done something positive for my health.

I did the NHS Couch to 5K podcasts to begin with and couldn't even run for a minute to begin with, but I've now completed two half marathons (very very slowly I hasten to add!!) and I feel so proud. I cried when I crossed the finish line of the first half that I did!

Congratulations on completing your first marathon and taking control of your health! I've been a distance runner for years, less so in the last few due to feet issues. Too many miles on these poor size 6's! Literally thousands of miles.

Today I do more strenuous hikes and walks. Twice I've walked 500 miles across Spain on the Camino de Santiago after starting in France.

I am slowly getting back to running as it is my favorite thing. The feet aren't happy, but they'll come around.