• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy diet?

I'm having one done in 2 weeks and my doctor ordered me to consume nothing solid - clear liquids only. The day before the procedure is "prep day" and is the day that you do the bowel prep with a powder laxative (Miralax is used quite a bit).

I would move to a soft diet 3 or 4 days prior, makes the prep easier. I had a scope on Monday and prep was the easiest yet, but I was flaring and hadn't had much solid food for about a week. Edited to add...no nuts & seeds, strawberries kill me. Nothing red or purple.

I would move to a soft diet 3 or 4 days prior, makes the prep easier. I had a scope on Monday and prep was the easiest yet, but I was flaring and hadn't had much solid food for about a week. Edited to add...no nuts & seeds, strawberries kill me. Nothing red or purple.
What did you eat for those 3 days? Did you do a low-residue diet? I've been reading about those since they are recommended for IBD or scope procedures.

http://gicare.com/diets/low-fiberlow-residue-diet/

Because everyone is different in what Crohn's allows them to eat, what I can tolerate may be different than you- however I had pasta with just sauce, jello, rice, chicken, toast, scrambled eggs- anything that would pass easily. Bland, but filled the hole :ytongue:. The day before the scope I had blue jello, chicken broth, lime pop-sickles, lots and lots of water. Morning of scope (mine was at 11:30am) I had 1/2 cup black coffee, Gatorade & water. Nothing but sips 2 hours prior. Probably the easiest prep I had (3 in 6 mos). I went to the bathroom more in the hours after than I did before. ....and stayed awake for this one. Didn't bother me.

Because everyone is different in what Crohn's allows them to eat, what I can tolerate may be different than you- however I had pasta with just sauce, jello, rice, chicken, toast, scrambled eggs- anything that would pass easily. Bland, but filled the hole :ytongue:. The day before the scope I had blue jello, chicken broth, lime pop-sickles, lots and lots of water. Morning of scope (mine was at 11:30am) I had 1/2 cup black coffee, Gatorade & water. Nothing but sips 2 hours prior. Probably the easiest prep I had (3 in 6 mos). I went to the bathroom more in the hours after than I did before. ....and stayed awake for this one. Didn't bother me.
That's good to know. I read on a lot of websites about prep that a low-residue/low-fiber diet is preferable, which is the exact opposite of my thinking (I thought fiber would be better, not the worst). It makes sense, though, because, when I eat starches like white potatoes, my symptoms aren't nearly as bad as they usually are. I do struggle with constipation, though, when I eat low fiber since I have IBS. I know I don't have to worry about that when I do the colon prep the day before the procedure. :)

I have had 3 colonoscopies, and I tried 2 different methods of preparation. The first didn't go really well, so I'll mention the second one.

I ate whatever I want the day before the colonoscopy, but I started fasting 9 hours before I started taking the medication to clear my intestines. The med I was prescribed was Moviprep, and it really is the best as it doesn't make you feel dizzy and doesn't give you this type of explosive diarrhea that makes you regret taking it.

I have had 3 colonoscopies, and I tried 2 different methods of preparation. The first didn't go really well, so I'll mention the second one.

I ate whatever I want the day before the colonoscopy, but I started fasting 9 hours before I started taking the medication to clear my intestines. The med I was prescribed was Moviprep, and it really is the best as it doesn't make you feel dizzy and doesn't give you this type of explosive diarrhea that makes you regret taking it.
I'm glad to hear that MoviPrep worked well for you as I have to use it for my scope later this month. I was reluctant to dish out $60 but I read online that it is MUCH better than the Miralax/Gatorade mixture.

I'm glad to hear that MoviPrep worked well for you as I have to use it for my scope later this month. I was reluctant to dish out $60 but I read online that it is MUCH better than the Miralax/Gatorade mixture.
I've used Pico Salix and this last one Purg-odan Both around $15- 2- 5oz glasses per dose. (My spelling may be off) No dizziness, and just a continual release of liquid for about 2 hours per dose.

I didn't even know that typical colonoscopy prep required Dulcolax before the Miralax/Gatorade mixture. I'm so glad I bought the MoviPrep as, the last time I took Dulcolax several years ago, I nearly passed out from the severe cramping. I don't take it anymore. I usually stick with stool softeners like Phillips or Colace.

Believe me, it's totally worth it.

I hope that things go well for you!

For me it works best to just have boiled carrots, some potatoes probably and some dairy, so no grains or much fiber apart from cooked vegetables. That's kind of what I have for breakfast and then that's it, otherwise I get into trouble if I have lunch or more than this small breakfast.
Once I made the mistake and had lots of bread, bread rolls etc. and it was SUPER painful. So bread is a no-go for me, and I'm glad to know that I'm fine with vegetables for prep day.