• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thoughts on Flu shots

We had our routine GI visit yesterday. She suggested we do a flu shot. I've never done one myself, or ever had any of my kids get one. (None have had the flu for years and years). How do you all weigh in on this? I know when our kiddos are immuno compromised the doc wants to take this extra precaution. I hate to enter, yet another, man made thing into his little body!

Thoughts? Experiences?...

We do flu shots for our entire family. My daughter and I are both immunocompromised and we have a small toddler to worry about. Sarah brings home a cold per week as it is.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about vaccinations unless you have an allergy to something in the vaccination. Don't put any stock at all into the pop culture fad of blaming vaccinations for various mystery ailments like Autism. There's no science behind it at all.

My opinion is that Crohnnies cannot mount a proper immune response. Obviously, Crohn's patients already have an autoimmune dysfunction of sorts, and in my view shots are intentional autoimmune modulations. Much controversy surrounds the findings that MMR antigens are found in the gut mucosa, oftentimes in Autistic kids--who often have Crohn's like disorders simultaneously. I, personally, think that vaccines could overtax the already fragile immune system of Crohn's patients in unpredictable ways. Ask/research whether a Crohn's patient has ever died/became seriously ill from the common flu.

I, personally, don't think that getting the flu shot would protect anyone against the constantly mutating/recombining nature of flu viruses. By the time a vaccine is made, the virus has mutated. Then there is the fact that companies still put Thimerasol in seasonal vaccines--in addition to other "preservatives" (formeldehyde compounds, aluminum salts, even MSG in nasally delivered attenuated/live flu vaccines).

Foreign DNA from eggs/fetal cells/larvae cultures/dog kidneys etc. are often not clarified out as supposed by pharma companies. This foreign DNA can contain cancer viruses, as was the case with Jonas Salk's praised polio vaccine (google SV40 in polio vaccine). The actual product inserts with all the fine print concerning the complete ingredients lists and side effects, often only seen by doctors, reveal the full extent of problems inherent in modern vaccines.

Intravenous exposure to anything is not a natural, nor understood, way to illicit immunization--think newborns subjected to hepatitus vaccines (unless the baby is exposed to dirty needles or unprotected sex, this makes no sense). How and why some injections may gravitate to the bowel followed by neuro-immuno cascading responses along the way, remains a mystery to me. Most doctors, pediatricians especially, are not thoroughly trained in neuro-immunology or environmental toxicity etc. in my opinion.

As with every other institution in society, currently being centralized under unaccountable corporatist global "authorities" following each "emergency" that crosses borders, corruption precludes any beneficent social function offered under the auspices of healthcare, as well.

Again, I better quit now. TMI, I'm sure. I'm very opinionated on the subject, as well as factual. I hope this gives you something to think about, people are very polarized on this subject and some people don't want to know too much.

I suppose it boils down to, how well would your body cope with the flu? And especially Swine flu which has killed healthy people as well as those with pre existing problems.

If anyone would like to tell me how small the odds are of me getting it, well I am pretty sure I had it the first year around and it was the worst illness I have ever suffered through.

I would rather vaccinate against 3 or 4 types of flu than none. And as flu would wipe me out for months right now I got vaccinated this year.

Have the flu jab. It may just save his life. You, and the rest of your immediate family should also. Flu, as opposed to an ordinary cold, is no trivial matter.

Jessi

Kathy, I say experience can speak louder than anything else. I have done the flu jab every year of my life, and have NEVER gotten the flu. But for the last 3 years, I didn't get the shot (for whatever reason), and all 3 years got VERY sick! So this year, convinced that it does the trick, I got jabbed again.

Good luck. :hug:

rygon

Ive had mine done after a workmate who was a good friend just died after contacting a virus. His immune system was low due to having his spleen removed (think he might have been on immnusupressents as well due to that) He was totally fine, 2wks ill in bed, 4days in hospital and then gone.

There is no live virus so you cannot catch the flu from it, but you may get symptoms due to your body fighting the foreign particles. A lot of people die every year from the flu, so to me its not worth the risk.

BTW I had it done last week with no side effects at all

I dont do them, for me or my child. I dont believe health comes from a needle. I make sure we are getting adequete amounts of vitamin D, and we take things like sambucol and cold fx when sick because its clinically proven to fight cold and flu viruses. I also dont like the idea of injecting an autoimmune person with adjuvents, chemicals that are designed to invoke a hyper immune response. There is no research in the safety of vaccines in autoimmune populations.

I also felt the same as we have never done the flu jabs but we were urged by our ibd nurse to have my son done as he on immunosuppresant too. He had his 1st shot a month ago and tomorrow he has his booster flu jab. Didnt put him up nor down, id rather have him protected than to become very poorly due to flu. xx good luck. xx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I receive the fluvax each year due to working with vulnerable populations. My husband receives it due having a chronic lung condition, Asthma. I encourage my children to have it due to being exposed to large numbers of other students in confined areas, lecture theatres etc.

People are indeed very polarised on the issue of immunisation, it is a very personal decision and both sides can find evidence to support the reasons as to why they do or don't support it. I guess I base my views not so much on what I read but on what I have seen through my 32 years of nursing.

We are at the end of flu season here and both of my children had a shot this year with no ill effects.

Dusty. xxx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I get my flu shot every year. It seems that about half the time I'll get the flu anyway. I have heard that if you get the flu shot and get the flu anyway, the flu tends to be not as severe and you recover quicker than if you hadn't gotten the flu shot. So, I always get my flu shot. I've never had any ill effects from it.

For those considering the flu shot - make sure you get the shot (contains dead/inactivated virus) rather than the nasal mist version of the vaccination (contains live weakened flu virus and can potentially make you ill). Healthy people can get the nasal mist but for those of us with chronic illnesses & messed up immune systems, we should opt for the shot.

My whole family get the flu vaccine each year as my youngest is high risk due to age and I work with a vulnerable population. I agree with most posts on here. There is no science backing getting autism from vaccines.

In Canada, 8000 people die from influenza and their related complications (pneumonia for example) each year. It is sad because it can be, for the most part, preventable.

The flu does mutate and change. The vaccine contains two type As and a type B influenza virus and the WHO uses a predication method to try and figure out which are going to be the big virus that flu season. With that being said, there is more then just 3 types of flu virus each season but you do get cross coverage. You may get a virus that you aren't vaccinated against (developed antibiodies) but it wil be much milder (thus being sick 2 days rather then 5).

Great point Cat-a-tonic - for sure get the vaccine from the needle. The nasal spray is live vaccine and I believe that you have be 9 or older to get it (in Canada). In Alberta, the vaccine (flu shot) is covered for people 6 months or older.

I've never had a flu vaccination and I have never had the flu. Of course, now that I type this, I'll probably get it this year.

I'm very careful about what I put into my body and I don't tend to take advantage everything that is available to me just because it's available. I realize some people are way more compromised than myself and those people probably need it.

Astra

I get the flu jab every year because I work with vulnerable people. I had mine in October.

I've been off this week with a heavy cold and flu like symptoms, couldn't get my head off the pillow for 3 days!

I'll still get the flu jab every year tho, I think it certainly reduced my symptoms, it could've been worse.

I had a flu jab done via my workplace last week and felt fine after it was done. The previous year, it led to me feeling really run down and needing an early night - so I was glad it was very uneventful this year.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Haven't had it yet but planning on it for the whole family next week (we have it every year).

Crohn's Mom

I wish I could get the Flu vaccine...or any :/
I've been allergic to every vaccine I've ever had...live or not. :(

We won't take the chance on Gab getting it due to her being on Cimzia ~ Just too risky as far as we are concerned.
So, I guess between Gab and I not having them...it has made me rather lazy in pursuing my boys getting them this year. They have had them once in the past, but not since.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
The whole familyb gets the flu shot here, they know around me they have to. Crohns is enough to deal with why risk the flu. WE just heard of one influenza case here the other day and it wasnt travel related. Also if you are vey overweight the flu shot may not work as well. It is all good..Get it done.

It depends, the year of the swine flu outbreak, I had the normal flu shot and another shot which protects the lungs but not the actual swine flu shot. Then last year I asked my doc and he advised me against the shot. We had a VERY mild winter last year in Greece and we didnt have any flu outbreaks. So I didnt do the shot. This year we have a VERY heavy winter and both flu and gastritis outbreaks since October, so I had my shot with no side effects. The nasal mist is not available in Greece, we all have jabs. My kids on the other hand dont get flu shots so far. They are vaccined right on schedule for all the other diseases, but the peds advise against the flu shot for kids under 15y.o.

Thanks for all the input. Its very helpful!
The thing I think about tho, is that every year the 'flu shot makers' try to 'guess' which flu strain is going to be the most prevalent. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. I know you don't get flu from the shot...it just may not be useful. I actually fear Strep Throat more. My son got that last winter...and it was bad...had to do an antibiotic, etc. Strep throat goes around every year at his school. Where's the shot for that?!

Last edited:

rygon

The flu shot may work or may not as you said, but not getting the flu shot will mean it definately wont work ;)

Never heard of strep throat before, but reading up it sounds like making sure everyone washes their hands, put dirty tissues in the bin and stay away from people if they have it will stop most cases

The flu shot may work or may not as you said, but not getting the flu shot will mean it definately wont work ;)

Never heard of strep throat before, but reading up it sounds like making sure everyone washes their hands, put dirty tissues in the bin and stay away from people if they have it will stop most cases
I disagree. I dont get the shot and I never get the flu. None of us do, and its not for lack of exposure.

I disagree. I dont get the shot and I never get the flu. None of us do, and its not for lack of exposure.
He's not saying that not getting the flu shot will guarantee the flu. He's saying that if you don't get it, it can't protect you. Let's not change this from a discussion to an argument by responding hastily.

He's not saying that not getting the flu shot will guarantee the flu. He's saying that if you don't get it, it can't protect you. Let's not change this from a discussion to an argument by responding hastily.
Its totally ok to disagree. I am not trying to argue. I am saying that just because you dont get the flu, it doesnt mean you can attribute it to getting the flu shot either. Its almost specious reasoning.

I still think you're interpretting rygon's comment in a way other than the way he intended. Vaccination is well supported by peer reviewed research. Obviously it sometimes fails, and obviously the fact that you do or do not get the flu is subject to variables other than vaccination or no vaccination.

The research around the flu shot is highly debatable and studies have shown that it doesnt really work for immunocompromised populations like small children and the elderly.

From a CBS article library, so its from mainstream media.
Flu vaccines provide virtually no benefit to children. That's the conclusion of a new review of all relevant studies. Interestingly, the news comes at a time when some health officials have begun to recommend the vaccination of all children in order to prevent them from passing on the flu to their elderly relatives. The review follows on the heels of a study that looked at three decades' worth of data and found that vaccines for the elderly are not as effective as previously thought. And contrary to conventional medical wisdom, vaccines do not seem to reduce flu-related deaths in elderly people.
Here is the entire article.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0815/is_3_30/ai_n13246433/?tag=content;col1

Thats all I will say about it, because unless you are pro-vaccine, comments are not really appreciated.

I don't have a problem with anti-vaccine arguments as long as they're not ridiculous. I don't know that I'd credit CBS quite as highly as say, the American Academy of Pediatrics. Unfortunately not all studies are created equally.

I'm no great fan of the pharmaceutical industry myself, but every gastroenterologist I've ever had has suggested vaccinating immunocompromised kids and the practice has been borne out by my own experience. I think that not doing so is irresponsible. It's not a judgment of individuals.

I'm the only one in the family who got the jab. It was done at work. I'm not big on unnecessary vaccines, but being immunocompromised, I decided I'd get it done this year.

rygon

I agree with Muppet here, you can find any study to help with whatever you think, doesnt mean its a good study

Heres a good reason why its so hard to say whether it works or not http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/flu-vaccine-efficacy/

and another forum debate on how good/safe it is.

But i do think that if the governments around the world are spending millions if not billions on this vaccine, they have at least done a bit of research on how effective it is. And im sure the people in charge there know a little bit more than us.

I think we have gone as far as possible with whether research shows if it works or not. Shall we keep this thread on personal experiences from now on?

To be fair, the article Lydia referred to was only 'reported' by CBS. The research was done by the Cochrane Collaboration, a reputable organization who promote evidence based health care, and who were awarded a seat at the World Health Assembly for their work.

I second the notion that getting people to wash their hands is very important! Even people who don't get the flu can carry it and then pass it around. Over reliance on the vaccine alone (not washing hands or bothering to support your general health) is also a less than desirable outcome.

Since I am on Humira I am making sure I get a flu shot each year. I think I need the extra protection. I would suggest that you make sure you get the injection and not the nasal method. The nasal method involves a live virus while the injection involves a inert virus. With Humira (or Remicade or Cimzia) you are immunosuppressed. I would think the inert virus is a bit safer for us.

Max(11) gets the flushot.His younger brother (who has asthma)also gets it. His sister gets the nasal mist. They have never gotten the flu.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Flu shots don't cover all strains of the flu so you can still get sick. Does it drastically change your chances of getting sick? No. I've been on immunosuppressants most of my life (since I was 9 years old) and haven't noticed a huge difference with or without it.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Does anyone have any thoughts on the the vaccine with or without the preservative, Thimerosal? I've read that it can cause mild allergic reactions in some people and I'm just a bit worried that this might trigger some sort of immune reaction??? As far as I know, in Canada, most clinics have been given supplies of vaccines with and without the preservative. Stephen's going to get his shot later at a local clinic but I've told him (and his dad) to only give him the vaccine without the preservative and, if necessary, we'll check at another clinic.

Any thoughts? Do you think my concern re the preservative is unwarranted?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the the vaccine with or without the preservative, Thimerosal? I've read that it can cause mild allergic reactions in some people and I'm just a bit worried that this might trigger some sort of immune reaction??? As far as I know, in Canada, most clinics have been given supplies of vaccines with and without the preservative. Stephen's going to get his shot later at a local clinic but I've told him (and his dad) to only give him the vaccine without the preservative and, if necessary, we'll check at another clinic.

Any thoughts? Do you think my concern re the preservative is unwarranted?
The preservative is a concern but the quantities are tiny. Many (most?) vaccinations no longer use this preservative.

As for Crabby - you are giving out your anecdotal experience as if it were scientific data, which is terribly irresponsible of you. God forbid some uninformed read this thread and use your post as medical advice.

Research data and medical outcomes overwhelmingly support vaccination generally (flu or otherwise). Any parent who in this day and age and in the face of all the evidence does not vaccinate their child has been led astray and is endangering not only their own child but everyone that child interacts with.

This is not a political issue. This is not a personal issue. This is a medical and safety issue.

Muppet, while I agree with you in general as far as immunizations go and I do immunize my children, the OP asked for thoughts and experiences, which is what I thought Crabby was giving.

rygon

I agree, Crabbie didnt say it was a waste of time, just that hes never had a shot, and has never had the flu.

Im bound to get it as I have a work collegue who will come to work no matter how bad he feels. Ive told him (who is my boss) that having to stay in the same room with him for 12hrs will most prob make me pretty ill seeing that im on aza (and now remicade) but he still thinks its better to brave it out so he can say hes a "proper man"

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I never said it was a waste of time of course and gave my experience from childhood to adulthood both with and without a flu shot. Sometimes I would get it and sometimes I didn't. I got the flu just as often with the flu shot than without it because there are multiple strains of the flu out there. The main point of my post was that you can still get the flu with a flu shot. And that's not made up medical science.

"There are several reasons why someone might get flu-like symptoms even after they have been vaccinated against the flu.

1. People may be exposed to an influenza virus shortly before getting vaccinated or during the two-week period that it takes the body to gain protection after getting vaccinated. This exposure may result in a person becoming ill with flu before the vaccine begins to protect them.

2. People may become ill from other (non-flu) viruses that circulate during the flu season, which can also cause flu-like symptoms (such as rhinovirus).

3. A person may be exposed to an influenza virus that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccine. There are many different influenza viruses that circulate every year. The flu shot protects against the 3 viruses that research suggests will be most common. Unfortunately, some people can remain unprotected from flu despite getting the vaccine. This is more likely to occur among people that have weakened immune systems. However, even among people with weakened immune systems, the flu vaccine can still help prevent influenza complications. For more information about the effectiveness of the flu vaccine, see How Well Does the Seasonal Flu Vaccine Work?"
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm

The forum isn't meant to attacking others Muppet and everyone who joins the site are made aware that we are not medical doctors and do not give out medical advice.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't think any concern you have about Stephen is unwarranted Tess.

The vaccines that are produced here don't contain Thimerosal. Since you do have a choice and are concerned about the preservative I would stick with what you have already decided. It seems a very sound decision to me.

Dusty. xxx

It is debated because of the way most studies measure immunuzation effectiveness. It is usually measured by the production of antibodies, and not by the actual rate of Flu infection after innoculation. Antibodies are not equal to immunity, but it is a better selling tool.

As mentioned already, the vaccine reflects a guess on which strain will spread around for any particular year, and it is often guessed wrong. Even if it is right, it is ever mutating making it a moving target.

That is compounded by the fact that many cases reported as the Flu are actually other viruses or infections. They are not normally confirmed by testing.

The better studies go by decreased mortality rate, which is not often measured. When it is measuered the ineffectiveness is quite clear. After all, if you do not have any less deaths in the population that is vaccinated, what is the point of getting it? You are essentially exposing yourself to the possible side effects of the vaccination with no potential benefit.

The best realistic estimate I have seen of the effectiveness rate is it may protect 1 to 2% of those who are vaccinated. Given the difficulty of vaccinating against a mutating virus, I can understand why it is as low as it is. Bacterial infections are much more stable, and at least you have a decent chance of immunity with a bacterial vaccination.

Dan

Once the flu season is over...we can all compare notes! Who got the shot...who didn't...and who got the flu! :) Just kidding:) It sure has been interesting reading all of this. A lot of you have really done some extensive research.