Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Diagnosed at age 50 & over Support Group

01-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Diagnosed at age 50 & over Support Group

About this Support Group

I would like to talk with others who were diagnosed after age 50. I have been very healthy for most of my life and this has really been hard to wrap my head around. I thought I had IBS for the last few years as my stress level was accelerated due to being the caregiver for my mother who had dementia. The diarrhea worsened in June of 2013 and a colonoscopy showed that I had a narrowing in my terminal ileum. Further testing CT Enterography showed narrowing and active inflammation in the terminal ileum. I have so much anxiety of this diagnosis and wonder if my life will ever be the same. This disease is so unpredictable and variable and I have to admit I am a bit of a control freak. Not to mention that for most of my life I have not been on any medication.

Members

aa9zz, Annlewis, Audie, becls, beginners mind's Avatar beginners mind, BostonWolf, BrennieJoyce's Avatar BrennieJoyce, bstrong's Avatar bstrong, Cape Cod Girl's Avatar Cape Cod Girl, carbuncle's Avatar carbuncle, carrollco's Avatar carrollco, CeeCeeGo's Avatar CeeCeeGo, chuckmya's Avatar chuckmya, crone kh's Avatar crone kh, curlywurly, dave13's Avatar dave13, Dirool, Diver jude's Avatar Diver jude, doglover1, DougUte's Avatar DougUte, Doyourdream's Avatar Doyourdream, Droopy Drawers's Avatar Droopy Drawers, dulouzz's Avatar dulouzz, Eagle Dave, EastCoast902's Avatar EastCoast902, ellie, EmbraceJoy's Avatar EmbraceJoy, erwinrosen, Flatblackdog's Avatar Flatblackdog, FloridaJ's Avatar FloridaJ, Fox50, Freddie's Avatar Freddie, Gail Jothen, GregH65, Grumbletum's Avatar Grumbletum, Grumpy1's Avatar Grumpy1, gtc45, heartsnstars4e's Avatar heartsnstars4e, Jabee's Avatar Jabee, JackG's Avatar JackG, Jay Woodman, Jeffer, JLL from SC, jnette's Avatar jnette, johnsmclean, joie de vivre, Laughngirl, lccmorris, Lightblb, lizzie67, lulu88, maggiesfour, Marlena's Avatar Marlena, MicheleM, Mike58's Avatar Mike58, Mlits, Molly-Baby, orangesunflower's Avatar orangesunflower, PC TX, pcflausa, peluchde's Avatar peluchde, PennyCFO, Phartologist's Avatar Phartologist, polgara59's Avatar polgara59, Princess Mom's Avatar Princess Mom, rahul0929's Avatar rahul0929, Rich Pell's Avatar Rich Pell, rickm37, RIZ, RNGirl, Romey, rorho19, rrhood1's Avatar rrhood1, sammiedabird's Avatar sammiedabird, SB7, Scipio's Avatar Scipio, scottsma's Avatar scottsma, socmommy13, suggi, Sunshine333's Avatar Sunshine333, susiedeanysmom's Avatar susiedeanysmom, swimbikerun, tdadpete, Terri311's Avatar Terri311, TheLongWalk, TonyWilliams's Avatar TonyWilliams, Tootsie, Tracey1788's Avatar Tracey1788, trashoken's Avatar trashoken, WAdesert, Welshman, Whit, wnorm's Avatar wnorm, Write2bheard, Zzz's Avatar Zzz
01-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
Hello there! I am 13 years over 50. I was diagnosed with UC in my late 20's, went through the medical interventions and ultimately had my colon removed at age 31. I was 'cured' of colitis. Now at this ripe age I have been diagnosed with Crohn's and, like you, have narrowing of my terminal ileum. The diagnosis really threw me. Because of my history, I learned a lot about IBD and always was thankful that I had colitis and not Crohn's. I was a bit devastated by my diagnosis, which is quite recent (Oct 2013).

I had bad reactions to the 2 medications my GI doc gave me. I have had a scope of the terminal ileum and the doctor said the small amount of inflammation he saw didn't warrant trying another medication. I am not taking any medication at this time.

I understand your feeling of not being in control, as the disease is unpredictable. I am trying to be proactive by making sure I have a healthy diet and trying to keep up my exercising. I have done a lot of research on Crohn's and have found this forum very helpful, especially the info on medications and diet. I also listen to my doctors' and dietitian's advice. Although they have all said to eat anything and try not to be 'food-avoidant', I have been trying the Paleo diet (no grains or dairy, lots of vegetables) for the past 2 months and have been symptom free. It has been only a short time frame on the diet, so I'm not saying it is the answer. I'm just saying that I feel well and don't have any symptoms.

Are you having active symptoms now? Are you taking medication? Do you have people who can provide emotional support?

I like your forum name. It's very positive. Keep in touch!
01-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
Just saw your question about entocort. I have not tried it, but my GI doc and I have decided that it will be the med we will try if my symptoms return, as it is more directed to the intestinal area and not as 'global' as the other meds we tried (azathioprine and 6mp).
01-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Hi Michelle: Thanks for responding. I have d symptoms but not excessive....once a day. I have no pain and never have. My blood work does not show active inflammation markers ( but I know that is not always a reliable symptom) My doc started me on Lialda for a month but it increased stomach activity and d. So I am off of it for another week and if d is not gone he wants to try Entocort. I bet that diagnosis did throw you for a loop....I have heard that people can have both UC and Crohns....Glad the Paleo diet is working for you. I have considered looking into that. Keep me posted. Thanks! Best of Luck to You.
01-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Hello there
And thanks for setting up the group :-) I was diagnosed at the age of 51. Having been lucky enough to be robustly healthy up til then, like you say it was a shock to the system. It's interesting what you say about stress. I'd moved back to the UK after 20 years working abroad about 2 years before I got all. We partly moved to be a bit closer to my Mum who was showing the early signs of dementia, and who quickly began to go downhill after we got back.
Two years of meds didn't manage to heal the bladder fistula that was a complication of my disease, but happily I have been very good since the surgery to remove it.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
01-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Hi Grumbletum and thanks for your reply. I like your name.....it's so appropriate isn't it? It helps to connect with others who have this disease....I don't know about you, but I have had a hard time finding others who have this and it's a lonely feeling. I was the sole caregiver for my Mom for the last few years until her death in November of 2013. It was extremely stressful for me and I had on and off intestinal issues for most of those years. I would not be surprised if stress brought it on. So glad you are off meds and doing fine....Thanks again.
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Mlits

My Support Groups:
New here.
58 year old Caucasian female, not formally diagnosed, but well on my way to that lovely circumstance.

Although I (probably) began my journey at age 28, at which time I had a major "gut surgery" about which I was told practically nothing-- I have been dealing with the consequences of that surgery now for 30 years and they have been getting worse.

(How does a trip to France sound to you--where you are fearful of EATING??? Anxious about visiting "old castles" due to lack of facilities, etc, etc. I'm sure all of us have similar stories.)

I am very grateful, however for the most excellent job that the surgeon must have done in an emergency situation-- because it has held well for these thirty years. It's not the surgical site that I am having problems with. It's the plain old consequences of missing a significant part of the intestinal tract!

Sigh.

Thanks for reading
02-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Dear Mlits: What a trip to France that must have been! It is very frustrating to say the least....I thought I had IBS for about 3 years and never had too much urgency... My diagnosis was suspicious for crohns and I have very mild symptoms. I tried Lialda and it made my symptoms worse and now my GI wants me to try Entocort...I'll keep you posted.. Right now I'm trying the SCD diet and hoping that helps. Hang in There. Glad that you are on this site.
02-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Mlits

My Support Groups:
Doyoudream: the little part of your story seems parallel to mine. My symptoms are erratic, I haven't been able (maybe willing...) to track triggers...

At this point, I am arming myself with information... Not willing to take long-term mess if I can manage symptoms less chemically.

Have md appt next week ( he'll probably throw me out)

Currently trying liquid d3 (got it at Walgreens) and papaya tablets with lactaid as needed. So new to this idea, I can't tell BUT-- first time I've felt "normal" in my gut for so long, I didn't recognize it as normal!!

Hope you are doing well
02-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed 2 months after I turned 50 this past November.Long story kinda short:I would wake up at 2:30a.m. feeling awful.This went on for a couple of months.It wasn't every night and I would feel o.k. the next day.It became more frequent and I started to throw up and have diarrhea.It went from just feeling bad to being violently ill and intense pain within two days.I went to the ER,had tests.I was told I had a close to complete blockage in my small intestine and needed surgery asap.I had a resection,about 8 inches,in my duodenum.I was told the day after thanksgiving I had crohn's,kinda ironic timing.I had saltines for a thanksgiving meal.They were awesome because I hadn't eaten in 5 days!!! I see my GI for the first time next week.I am currently in remission.I talked with my family and no one can recall anyone,alive or deceased,who had crohn's.I hope this helps.Feel free to ask me any questions.
02-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dave. Good luck with your appt and please keep us posted about your progress. I bet those saltines were heavenly ! Sounds like you had an abrupt introduction to crohns. My symptoms were mostly a week of severe diarrhea in June and a colonoscopy that showed stricture in terminal ileum but no blockage. So far I have had no pain or vomiting I tried Lialda but it made diarrhea more frequent. In fact before I went on it it had really gone away. The next step would be Entocort but I'm kind if afraid if the side effects. My GI referred me to another doc who specializes in IBD. But I can't get in until May. I am currently trying the SCD diet It's such a mind boggling thing to get used to isn't it? Really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've been so healthy my whole life. I have no one in my family that has had this either. I have had extreme stress and took 8 aspirin a day for 35 years. My family grew up eating them and it perpetuated me tsking them due to rebound headaches from the aspirin.
02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Axelfl3333

i was diagnosed at 50 and i,m now 51 was medically paid off from work but got my full pension.the company was decent with mobile engineer with no toilet facilities wasn,t practical
02-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
carbuncle

I was in a similar situation, not having been ill until late 2004 when all that changed. I went through a series of Cdiff infections and hospital stays where the hospitals had difficulty identifying the Cdiff. This eventually triggered Crohns with severe constricting in descending colon. The inflammation is not limited to that area and will probably need to be removed at some point.

Thanks for setting up the over 50 group as there are not many of us and fewer still with large intestine issues!

http://www.crohnsforum.com/images/smilies/crohnpoo.gif
02-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dave. Good luck with your appt and please keep us posted about your progress. I bet those saltines were heavenly ! Sounds like you had an abrupt introduction to crohns. My symptoms were mostly a week of severe diarrhea in June and a colonoscopy that showed stricture in terminal ileum but no blockage. So far I have had no pain or vomiting I tried Lialda but it made diarrhea more frequent. In fact before I went on it it had really gone away. The next step would be Entocort but I'm kind if afraid if the side effects. My GI referred me to another doc who specializes in IBD. But I can't get in until May. I am currently trying the SCD diet It's such a mind boggling thing to get used to isn't it? Really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've been so healthy my whole life. I have no one in my family that has had this either. I have had extreme stress and took 8 aspirin a day for 35 years. My family grew up eating them and it perpetuated me tsking them due to rebound headaches from the aspirin.
It was abrupt to say the least.I thought I had food poisoning at first,13 hours later I'm in a hospital bed post-op with a stapled stomach and a head full of questions.I was relieved when I found this forum during recovery.I'll let you know what my GI says.
02-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Mike58

Good to be here. I was dx with Crohn's in October 2012. I was 57. Just starting a new job after a career in self employed sales. Felt great until the day the company called me to advise I had been accepted for the job. I felt like I was coming down with the stomach flu earlier that day. The next day I felt much worse, called my GP and was told to go to a clinic as he was booked all day. I went to a clinic and the Doc there told me she didn't think it was the flu but something intestinal. I was told to drive to the hospital immediately for a CT scan. I did. The ER docs did find a slight blockage. I then spent the next 10 days in the hospital, not being fed, no liquids, test after test, ending up with a Colonoscopy. That doc told my wife he was 99% sure it is Crohn's. In July 2013, I was rushed by ambulance to the ER and was told I had 3 strictures in my Ileum. My GI doc wanted to try Remicade. In August 2013, 20 inches of my TI was removed. I have been unable to work since then. Used up my STD. Have applied for SSDI.
I am grateful that a diagnosis was made. Grateful for a very supportive wife. And glad I found this forum.
02-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Mlits

My Support Groups:
Good to be here. I was dx with Crohn's in October 2012. I was 57. Just starting a new job after a career in self employed sales.

I am grateful that a diagnosis was made. Grateful for a very supportive wife. And glad I found this forum.
Hi Mike-- Sales rep, huh? I was one for eleven years-- during my "It must just be scar tissue. Just don't eat" days...Pain? Yeah. According to the last colonoscopy I had, it was the "ileum" that I lost, and I am just now figuring out what exactly that means to someone...even 30 years later...

I know EVERY decent restroom that is instantly accessible in my entire sales region. So sorry that you've had this horrible experience. Mine obviously did not come on me the same way-- I had had surgery 30 years ago, and knew absolutely nothing.
02-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
Mike58

Hi Mlits,
I was in insurance sales for over 20 years. I got tired of the companies attitude of what did you do for me today? They never cared what I did to build a successful and profitable agency. Oh well. I do think stress is a big factor in Crohn's. My surgeon told me that I would need to make a decision one day between working or not. My new job was working in a mortgage service call center. My job was to try and qualify people who were 90 days or more behind on their mortgage, into a different loan. Some were ok but many people would never qualify. Next step...repossession. It was a difficult job to say the least.
My next step is the PillCam. Probably by end of month. Doc is not sure what is causing my D 6 to 10 times each day. He also is talking about an exploratory surgery to see what is causing the constant pain in my left abdomen. Should be an interesting month.
02-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
carrollco

My Support Groups:
Hello! Diagnosed at 32 with extreme IBS, diagnosed with Crohn's at 56. I am sure I would have been diagnosed sooner but I refused to see a doctor or to even tell anyone about it because they convinced me it was all in my head. Oh. I just turned 59 AND started Remicade which has turned my life around.

Previous Meds:

Methotrexate--had kidney/liver damage
Lialda--allergic to aspirin--but didn't know until my Crohn's got much worse.
Prednisone--only when I have to!
02-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
Wow. It's do frustrating when someone tells you it's all in your head. Do you have any narrowing in the bowel? Any side effects from remicade ?
02-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
carbuncle

What I love is when asked a question the well educated doctor immediately leaves the room to look up an answer or they are so desperate for clinic funds they extort a prescription of prednisone in exchange for the promise of a colonoscopy or with hold prednisone prescriptions ($4) all together to try to force you into Remicade or other $10000 prescription because they get kick backs.
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This may sound odd,but...I see my GI next week for the first time.I was wondering what to expect from our first meeting.Since I am 50 will there be questions or suggested tests because of my age.My resection was from my duodenum,should I prepare for a esophogastroduodenoscopy?(is that one heck of a word or what!?)Or a enteroscopy.My last colonoscopy was a year ago.The colonoscopy is the only 'oscopy' I have had.You can read from my previous posts that my introduction to crohn's was abrupt.My surgery and diagnosis was November 2013 and my first GI visit is Feb 2014.The soonest I could get an appointment.I am in remission and generally feel pretty good.I was very sick twice:I cut out all fried foods and gave in to temptation about a month after not eating anything fried.I ate three crab rangoons at supper.I was so sick later that night!The second time was my wifes birthday dinner last week.We went out and I was careful about ordering.We got home and after a hour or so I was still feeling good.So I had a small piece of cheesecake,my wifes favorite.Violently throwing up not long after.My only food disasters so far.I tolerate roughage and I do o.k. with yogurts and low fat cheese.I've lost 23 pounds and seem to stay around the 169-170 area at 5'9".I seem to have lost a lot of muscle,which I hope to regain once I get more active.I do feel quite tired from time to time and just have no energy.I'll stop rambling now.I'm just nervous about that first visit.
02-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
fozheart

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone!
I just turned 52 last month. Very similar stories here! I was 49 when I suddenly felt very sick- terrible pain and and vomiting for over 24 hours. A CT in the ER showed diverticulitis that had caused a complete blockage. After a week in the hospital, I had a perforation in my sigmoid colon, and had an emergency resection. 3 months later my colostomy was reversed, and 2 months after that, I had an incisional hernia. So, 3 surgeries within 6 months. This past year I have lost weight mostly due to the fact that the more full I am, the more I hurt, mostly in the area where the stoma was. It feels like everything stops at that point, in my descending colon, and when it finally comes out, it is diarrhea. I have had 2 flexsigmoidoscopies in which they have dilated a stricture. I just feel like I am passed off to one doctor after another now though. The excitement and challenge of having a complex patient is over for them... I feel like a hot potato being passed. (Wow..remember that game?) Anyhow, thanks for starting this thread!

Carol
02-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #23
crone kh

My Support Groups:
New here.
58 year old Caucasian female, not formally diagnosed, but well on my way to that lovely circumstance.

Although I (probably) began my journey at age 28, at which time I had a major "gut surgery" about which I was told practically nothing-- I have been dealing with the consequences of that surgery now for 30 years and they have been getting worse.

(How does a trip to France sound to you--where you are fearful of EATING??? Anxious about visiting "old castles" due to lack of facilities, etc, etc. I'm sure all of us have similar stories.)

I am very grateful, however for the most excellent job that the surgeon must have done in an emergency situation-- because it has held well for these thirty years. It's not the surgical site that I am having problems with. It's the plain old consequences of missing a significant part of the intestinal tract!

Sigh.

Thanks for reading
When I was first diagnosed, I visited one of my children who lives in Paris.
You are right about the toilet facilities. I managed the diet problem for the few days I was there by ordering a big baked potato in restaurants. Fills you up and, hopefully, the baking process decontaminates the potato. The cafes make excellent coffee and, again, the boiling water....et cetera. This is NOT to accuse the French of poor hygiene habits, but when you're already sick and 8 thousand miles from home you want to avoid new, local microbes. Made it back in one piece. <g>
02-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #24
crone kh

My Support Groups:
Does anyone here have a phobia related to colonoscopy? I was trapped in the hospital for my last one. Am afraid my gastro will fire me as a patient soon.
02-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #25
carbuncle

Major, major phobia. During initial onset, I was left on a gurney for over 4 hours till my turn while morphine wore off.

A few years later and in the middle of an untreated flare, I regurgitated stomach contents causing me to pass out from lack of oxygen. Idiots did not know enough to clear my air way and put me on O2. My wife told them to do so!!!

Most recent one was much better as there was very little discomfort and was not during a flare.
02-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
LodgeLady

Hi, I'm 54 yrs. old and was diagnosed Crohn's at the terminal ileum in July 2013. Diagnosis was by colonoscopy and biopsy. Problem is I also had a bad gallbladder for which I just had surgery to remove it. So, going to see specialists at U of MD Baltimore to re-confirm this diagnosis.

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

02-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
pcflausa

My Support Groups:
I just had a fistulectomy at my anus 5 months ago. I was wondering if anyone with crohns had ever been prescribed pancreatic enzymes to digest their food. They tell me I have crohns but my daughter died at 22 of cystic fibrosis. If a person doesn't digest their food then why do doctors not prescribe enzymes to digest it for them. She had to take them to digest her food and they kept her alive for 22 years. It seems to me that doctors only treat the disease with pills and never just get right down to the right thing. I don't digest my food so why not give me enzymes that do it for me? Just wondering if anybody else sees this or if they have actually been treated with prescription enzymes (like Creon).
02-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
Doyourdream

My Support Groups:
LodgeLady I would want to make sure of the right diagnosis as well. Did you have symptoms of crohns. If so what were they?
02-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
LodgeLady

Every symptom I had ( except for the biopsy results) could point to either Crohn's disease or Gallbladder disease. Severe nausea, cramping, vomiting which sent me to the ER twice in 3 mos. Weight loss, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, especially after eating. Biopsy showed inflammation at terminal ileum with increased CRP level. So my GI focused on Crohn's ( never even checked on my gallbladder ). So for a whole year tried different meds for Crohn's: antibiotics, 4 mos. Prednisone, Pentasa, Humira. Still had the pain and after 9 mos. finally decided to look at the gallbladder. Hida scan showed a totally non functioning GB!!!

So I am almost 2 weeks post op cholycytectomy. It's too early to say this was my whole problem. I feel 75% better!! But still have some cramping and abdominal pain after eating with occasional nausea. This could be surgery related or Crohn's rearing it's head. Still don't know for sure...
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
carbuncle

Hi LodgeLady,

I trust your GI mentioned gallbladder removal may or can/may trigger Crohn's flare?

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Diagnosed at age 50 & over Support Group