• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Uc and colds

my little penguin

Staff member
We have found with Ds crohns that his body works very hard to keep things stable
So when an "extra " thing is added the body has too many things on its "to do list" so the Ibd tends to get worse briefly

I can't prove anything, but I've noticed sometimes that my UC is worse when I have a cold. One of my big triggers is stress, so I wonder if that is part of it. I also wonder if my immune system ramping up to fight the cold also is part of it.

I've also noticed that when my allergies are bad, and I have a lot of post-nasal drip, that I think all that stuff going down my throat upsets my GI tract (like right at the moment - the ragweed is bad today).

Thank you so much for your replies. It's confusing at the moment because I've just started my medication, have a cold and my flare started about a week before the cold so I'm not sure what is happening. Think I might call my doctor.

It's confusing at the moment because I've just started my medication, have a cold and my flare started about a week before the cold so I'm not sure what is happening. Think I might call my doctor.
Always best to call your doctor.

Sometimes medication can trigger cold or flu like symptoms, as a side effect of the medication.

Sometimes you are just unlucky and these things all happen at the same time.

I was getting a lot of colds. Until it was discovered that medications had interfered with my absorption of iron and zinc, and I was seriously deficient in both. Before that, I had just blamed a low immune system due to UC. I supplemented and stopped getting colds.