• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

remission for six Months today!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Today marks six months of being in remission!Six months ago today I had an emergency resection due to blockage.I was dx four days later with CD once the tests from the resected piece came back.I consider the day of my resection as the 'official' start of this journey for me,not the day I was diagnosed.

I found the Forum soon after coming home from the hospital.I can't thank everyone enough for the support! It has,and does,help me so much.All you Crohnies have been very patient and sharing..it really helps us newbies cope and get a grip on our new normal.

I may get knocked on my ass tomorrow...but I will be happy today.

My surgery was three days before Thanksgiving.I was diagnosed the day after Thanksgiving.I can still remember the aroma of turkey dinners being delivered to the other patients.M,M,M,M...I had a package of crackers.I admit,I was quite thankful for those crackers.

At the age of 50,my resection was my first ever surgery.I never stayed in the hospital before either.Neither was on my bucket list.

Thanks again to everyone for all the support! Six months in remission and counting...and I am having my turkey dinner today! WooHoo!!

Dave

scottsma

It's great to hear positive stories on here.It gives others hope.Thankyou for sharing.

And long may your remission last,Dave

Very best wishes.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing. It gives us all hope that there are better days ahead. Enjoy your dinner!
:ghug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
:dusty::dusty::dusty: Congratulations Dave, so happy for you!

My kids, post resection, have been in remission for 8 and 3 years respectively, may you too enjoy the same success. :)

Onwards and Upwards!

Dusty. xxx

dave13

Forum Monitor
Thanks everyone!!

Crohnies are awesome :mademyday: Here we go...six months,one day and counting...and the journey continues.:poo:

Dave

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi krishna,thanks for inquiring!

I recently had a small bowel follow through and the sections of jejunum that were re-joined look healthy and show no signs of stricturing.The test showed the rest of my upper GI was free of inflammation as well.I am very pleased about that,to say the least.

However...I have been rediagnosed with severe perianal crohns.I have had a fistulotomy three weeks ago and three draining setons placed.The fistulas are around my rectum.I was misdiagnosed by a previous GI and have had these for several years and they have progressed to a serious point.

My current GI and colorectal surgeon feel we caught the fistulas in time and I should be able to stear clear of a colostomy.I have started Remicade infusions and I'm hoping they will help.I did not want to start Remicade,but both my GI and Surgeon said I needed to be aggressive in order to save my rectum from further damage and hopefully close the fistulas.

I have been very busy and my new normal seems to keep changing.Thanks again for asking how I am doing.

How are you doing? What is it like dealing with IBD in India?

Hi krishna,thanks for inquiring!

I recently had a small bowel follow through and the sections of jejunum that were re-joined look healthy and show no signs of stricturing.The test showed the rest of my upper GI was free of inflammation as well.I am very pleased about that,to say the least.

However...I have been rediagnosed with severe perianal crohns.I have had a fistulotomy three weeks ago and three draining setons placed.The fistulas are around my rectum.I was misdiagnosed by a previous GI and have had these for several years and they have progressed to a serious point.

My current GI and colorectal surgeon feel we caught the fistulas in time and I should be able to stear clear of a colostomy.I have started Remicade infusions and I'm hoping they will help.I did not want to start Remicade,but both my GI and Surgeon said I needed to be aggressive in order to save my rectum from further damage and hopefully close the fistulas.

I have been very busy and my new normal seems to keep changing.Thanks again for asking how I am doing.

How are you doing? What is it like dealing with IBD in India?
I also have Perianal Crohn's. I am currently treating two double tract fistulas with draining setons. I now have another fistula that requires another seton. What does it mean when the fistulas have progressed to a serious point?

dave13

Forum Monitor
I also have Perianal Crohn's. I am currently treating two double tract fistulas with draining setons. I now have another fistula that requires another seton. What does it mean when the fistulas have progressed to a serious point?
H,m,m,m...not sure how to answer.I think he meant since I had multiple fistulas,that were never treated,the chance of even more occurring was/is quite high.

I see him in September and have been writing down questions to ask.I'm new to having setons and properly dealing with fistulas.I wish I could provide you with a better answer.

Good luck with the new seton.