• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's the average length of time on Infliximab

I've had 2 infusions & the results are quite startling tbh. I feel very much better & now I'm wondering how long people can stay on Infliximab before the effectiveness starts to wane. Humira was about 4 yrs 7mths for me so I'm hoping that I'll be able to have effectiveness on Infliximab for @ least that length of time.
Rgds
Grant

It really depends. I had many good years on it - though it was my first biologic so that may make a difference. I was on for around 9 years, on and off due to insurance reasons. I stopped to get pregnant and could not go back on.

Glad it is working for you.

I was on it for 6 years and did great. Only switched bc it was too hard to make it to my infusions (it was a 70 mile drive and I have a baby)

Thanks for all the replies, I never felt this good this early on Humira. Infliximab feels like a whole different ball game so far.
Rgds
Grant

Good luck!! Enjoy the infusions!. I always used it as my lazy day. So it was nap day all day. I actually really miss it sometimes haha

Wow. Nice to see people that have been on these types for do long. I was o remicade but severe reaction I could not use it and was on humira back in 08 but lost coverage. Looking to start humira again to get a abdominal fistula under control. Hope it works

10 years and counting here Grant!!!!
Thats brilliant, I really hope it'll be 10yrs for me if things continue as they are. I had such a miserable xmas but within 4-5 days after my 1st infusion on 30thDec I really noticed an improvement & its been continual improvement since then.
Long may it continue.
Rgds
Grant

fuzzy butterfly

So glad it is working for you Grant.long may it do so...☺ did not help me but there you go, not for everyone i guess. When it works tho it is usualy pretty darn good stuff☺. Keep well 💕

How long did it take to start the infusions after gastro recommended it Grant?
Hi Mattie, about 6 weeks. And it was hell waiting for it, I was so unwell over xmas new year. Barring side effects or bad infections I get the feeling this could be a bit of a life changer for me if the early signs carry on.
Best Wishes
Grant

Hey Grant. I've been on it for just over 3 years and it's fab. After about a year I noticed that the last week of the 8 week cycle was too tiring for me so I get it every 7 weeks now which makes a difference. I know someone who was on it for a few years, then he experimented with coming off for 4 months but sadly that didn't work so he went back on & it was just as successful. My consultant says that even when we are in remission, the condition is still working there in the background and the trough levels of Infliximab (Remicade / Remsima) gradually drop over the weeks so that explains any fatigue that may set in for some of us. It's a miracle med, worked straight away for me. Hope you continue to have good experiences with it : )

Thanks for the info Grant. I hope it continues to work well for you. You must be mightily relieved to have your life back. I've just started the process of waiting - been told it will take approx 10 weeks to get into the system, which will seem forever!

Mattie, I hope they can hurry it along for you.There really is nothing worse than waiting for something that may well work whilst feeling terrible. Fingers crossed for you.
Grant