• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psoriasis?

Hi guys,

I just started the maintenance dose of Humira this week. I'm a bit worried though - have started seeing red scaly patches of skin. It started off as a circle on the top of my chest, then that flaked off and now it's spreading more there as well as my ears. Possibly also my scalp. I'm worried it's psoriasis. I'm also worried I'm a hypochondriac!!!

To my knowledge, I've never had psoriasis. Is it possible this is from Humira? I know it says in the side effects to see your doctor for new or worsening psoriasis, but assumed this meant for ppl who already had it. Has anyone else had this?

Humira cleared up my psoriasis. I'll get a little on my nose & behind my left ear at the end of my cycle, just before my next dose, if it decides to rear it's ugly head. This is only occasionally.

Very possible it is psoriasis.
Check with your GI and get a referral to a dermatologist!

I've been on Humira for 13 mos and about 5 mos ago developed a rash similar to psoriasis which then over the few months turned clearly in to psoriasis. I saw my dermatologist yesterday. And yes I have developed psoriasis from Humira. Yippee right!? It is possible and aparently becoming more common. Which is weird in itself since yes humira is also used to treat psoriasis.
I also have no family history of psoriasis and none of my own until this event. Drs are also unclear whether going off humira will get rid of the psoriasis as well. It's still too new to know the answers. My derm said he's had patients try going off humira and 6 mos later psoriasis still active..
You kind of have to weigh the options.. is the humira helping, is there anything else to try? Consider treating the psoriasis and going from there?

PsychoJane

Get it checked,
I also had psoriasis-like side effects from humira at the beginning of my treatment. Side effects got worse with time then got better after. My doctor (rheumy and GI) don't know what it was exactly. Some anomalies were present in my blood test in response to the medication probably and they are still there but the side effects are way less present (Humira is almost not working anymore though...). Keep in mind that people that gets treated for psoriasis with humira may get arthritis side effects, and people with arthritis that are treated with humira may get psoriasis out of it. I assume that inhibiting the tumor necrosis factor may have a different effect on healthy organ (It seems this aspect is not well documented yet since they can't really tell us why some have the side effects and others don't). Anyway sorry for this babeling, all I can say by experience is that my side effects got better with time but that the treatment itself became less effective as the side effects were getting better...

I have also recently developed what I thought was psoriasis on my right wrist, right lower arm and right lower leg. Scaly, red patches basically. My GI was adamant that it is not psoriasis since psoriasis attacks the elbows, scalp, ears etc. He has referred me to a dermatologist so I will make an appointment and see what's going on. One step forward, two steps back.

I developed Psoriasis at about the same time my Crohn's was diagnosed. My understanding is both are somewhat related in that they share the "auto immune" triggers. My Imuran has seemed to make my psoriasis abate somewhat. Also, even though psoriasis typically is found on knees, elbows, etc., it is not limited to those areas. The back, neck, legs, just about anywhere can be locations for outbreaks. Nasty stuff...

Thanks for the responses guys. My doc reckons it's photosensitivity, but I honestly don't think I believe him. Going to see the GI soon tho so I'll ask him what he thinks. Plus I'm moving soon so will have to change GPs - will get a third opinion that way.

But it sounds like getting it doesn't necessarily mean I have to stop Humira. I will see if it gets any worse.

PsychoJane

But it sounds like getting it doesn't necessarily mean I have to stop Humira. I will see if it gets any worse.
Actually they usually will let you continue the treatment and try to get the psoriasis fixed with cortisone cream and other needed treatment if it is working properly for your Crohn and that the psoriasis is not outweighting the benefits! It just worth being mentioned and to keep an eye on the evolution of the situation.
Hopefully you will get this figured out soon :)

Hey all, I suffer from Psoriasis and other skin ailements as well but I don't take any of my prescribed Crohn's medications which leads me to believe it is our auto-immune deficiency rather that the drugs causing the skin issues. Could be a vitamin deficiency as well which is where I'm targeting my focus right now. Diet and exercise. Seems to be worse at different times of the year too. Winter for example seems to be worse. Long dark winters here, lack of vitamin D hmmmmm.

PsychoJane

Actually there are people that do have more than a pathology like you having a mix of crohn and psoriasis. Crohn + (insert appropriate autoimmune disease: psoriasis - rheumatoid arthritis - Ankylosing spondylitis) are observe in quite a few patient and yes the hypothesis of having auto-immune deficiency might be correct and affecting more than one sphere of the body may be correct. The only thing is that many many patients (like way tooo many) suddenly present symptoms of other AI disease ( the skin manifestations being the more frequents and these symptoms) and upon discontinuation of the anti-TNF, for the majority, they go away.

I had some red scaly patches appear on my sides during my time on Humira. I didn't find them to be painful, just weird. I scratched them during the night, and they would become slightly raised and more red. My GI doctor didn't seem too worried about them. On seeing a dermatologist, I was prescribed a cortisone cream to deal with the itchy aspect. No one seemed to think they were that abnormal. I made sure to file my nails as not to scratch them in my sleep.

Jessi

Jumping in to your club to say...

I am on Remicade, have had psoriasis for half my life. The Remicade seems to be working still for my UC, but I was shocked to start a psoriasis flare in the oddest places, even while on the biologic drug that supposedly treats both diseases. I have it inside my ears, one nostril, on the eyelid, back of neck in hairline, and the elbows. I've only ever had it on my hands and elbows in the past.

I saw my dermatologist, and he prescribed betamethasone dipropionate lotion for everything except the eyelid and nostril. Desonide cream was prescribed for the eyelid, but the nostril has to heal on its own. I've been using the cream and lotion for a couple weeks and have almost cleared up.

So it's definitely possible to stay on the biologic. I hope this gives insight even in the smallest amount. Good luck to the rest of you. :hug:

Psoriasis as side effect

Hi everyone....can someone please help me. I need to know from someone first hand if my psoriasis (that I clearly developed after starting Humira) will go away AFTER I STOPPED THE DRUG?

I quit Humira 3 months ago and still have psoriasis patches, mostly on my lower legs. Will they go away????? Thanks for reading.