• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone and Weight Gain

Hi everyone :)
Yesterday I went to see a new gastroenterologist, and she decided to put me on a course of Prednisolone. I've been on this medication before, however the side effects have only become a big concern to me this time around - especially the weight gain.

I have horrible body image issues, and the idea of gaining weight makes me want to cry. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent weight gain on this medication? Is it even possible?

Also, has anyone here taken the same course as me? (30 mg for 3 weeks, then reducing by 5mg a week for 5 weeks). If so, how much weight did you gain during that time?

I know it's kind of a shallow thing to worry about, but I've even considered just not taking it because of the weight thing, so any advice on how to prevent it would be really appreciated. I googled it but people just kept saying "just eat less and workout more!", but it was my understanding that a lot of the weight gain comes from hormonal changes (well, according to the medication leaflet) and I already eat quite a low amount of calories...

Hiya,

I know what you mean with the weight gain on pred.
The first time I took it I was so happy I could eat again that I gained 20 kg in a year!

The last time I used it I was on 60mg a day for a few weeks and then stared a taper by 5mg 's a week. Like you I was very fearful of the weight gain but because I was aware of it it didn't happen, not a gram!
I did get all the other side effects, like moon face, insomnia and crazy mood swings but by being very careful with eating and exercising I managed to control the weight, so to answer your question; Yes it's possible not to gain weight.

Keep in mind that 30mg isn't a terribly high dose so it won't take long to taper off and you won't necessarily have all the nasty side effects as they take a while to build up, especially the moonface, that might not happen at all.

Good luck with it and I hope you manage it!

Hiya,

I know what you mean with the weight gain on pred.
The first time I took it I was so happy I could eat again that I gained 20 kg in a year!

The last time I used it I was on 60mg a day for a few weeks and then stared a taper by 5mg 's a week. Like you I was very fearful of the weight gain but because I was aware of it it didn't happen, not a gram!
I did get all the other side effects, like moon face, insomnia and crazy mood swings but by being very careful with eating and exercising I managed to control the weight, so to answer your question; Yes it's possible not to gain weight.

Keep in mind that 30mg isn't a terribly high dose so it won't take long to taper off and you won't necessarily have all the nasty side effects as they take a while to build up, especially the moonface, that might not happen at all.

Good luck with it and I hope you manage it!
Thank you so much! You really helped to put my mind at ease, I feel a lot better about things now :ybiggrin:

my little penguin

Staff member
Same here when ds was formula only
No weight gain
So just like everything else calories in =calories out and no weight gain
Pred just makes you want to eat
Good luck

Hey there,
I felt the same I gained so much weight the first time I was given a course of pred that I dreaded when I needed it for a second and third time.
But I did manage to avoid gaining so much weight, (you cannot avoid moon face unfortunately)

You need to be very careful or your salt and sugar intake.

I wanted to eat everything in sight, but was careful about what I chose to snack on.

It helps trust me :) good luck