• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can we get vaccinations while on Remicade?

I need to get some vaccinations, but I'm on Remicade. I think Remicade and other Biologicals affect the immune system, so would it be fine taking vaccinations? Has anyone else had to?

cmack

Staff member
I'm not sure admiral but I have heard people say in the past that live vaccines may be dangerous if you are on immune system compromising meds. I would definitely be sure and ask the doc.

I need to get some vaccinations, but I'm on Remicade. I think Remicade and other Biologicals affect the immune system, so would it be fine taking vaccinations? Has anyone else had to?
Hi admiral

Here's a little something I found on the Crohn's and Colitis website, it looks like it depends what the vaccination is....

CAN I HAVE IMMUNISATIONS WHILE ON INFLIXIMAB?

It may be unsafe to be immunised with certain vaccinations while on infliximab.

You should not have any ‘live’ vaccines such as those for polio, yellow fever, rubella

(German measles) MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and BCG (tuberculosis).

However, you may be able to have the inactivated polio vaccine. Flu jabs are

currently safe as they are not live vaccines and the Department of Health

recommends that everyone on drugs such as infliximab should have an annual

flu vaccination. However, the children’s nasal flu vaccine is live and should not be

used.

If anyone in your family or household is due to have a live vaccine, check with

your IBD team whether you need to take any special precautions. You should

also check with your IBD team if you are in contact with a baby or young child

undergoing a vaccination programme

I'm not sure admiral but I have heard people say in the past that live vaccines may be dangerous if you are on immune system compromising meds. I would definitely be sure and ask the doc.
Yup, I went to my gastro today and he said that live vaccines should be avoided at all costs. He suggested that a few I needed could be taken

Hi admiral

Here's a little something I found on the Crohn's and Colitis website, it looks like it depends what the vaccination is....

CAN I HAVE IMMUNISATIONS WHILE ON INFLIXIMAB?

It may be unsafe to be immunised with certain vaccinations while on infliximab.

You should not have any ‘live’ vaccines such as those for polio, yellow fever, rubella

(German measles) MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and BCG (tuberculosis).

However, you may be able to have the inactivated polio vaccine. Flu jabs are

currently safe as they are not live vaccines and the Department of Health

recommends that everyone on drugs such as infliximab should have an annual

flu vaccination. However, the children’s nasal flu vaccine is live and should not be

used.

If anyone in your family or household is due to have a live vaccine, check with

your IBD team whether you need to take any special precautions. You should

also check with your IBD team if you are in contact with a baby or young child

undergoing a vaccination programme
Wow, thank you for the detailed information :) even my doctor could not provide all these details!