• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tired of abscesses and pain of having them drained!

I get repeat abscesses on the left side only of my bum, near my rectum. The first one many years ago turned into a fistula and I had to have a fistulectomy. It still occasionally fills back up but does drain on it's own. Since then I have had many abscesses around that area that have to be lanced and drained. The last few the doctor only uses a local and it hurts like heck!!! I currently have another abscess and have been hoping it would open and drain on it's own but no such luck. My mother in law suggested I try a drawing salve. Has anyone tried this? I am terrified to call the doctor because I don't want to go through that again so I used the salve tonight. Hoping it helps!!! If anyone has tried this stuff I would love to hear how it worked for you!

I get repeat abscesses on the left side only of my bum, near my rectum. The first one many years ago turned into a fistula and I had to have a fistulectomy. It still occasionally fills back up but does drain on it's own. Since then I have had many abscesses around that area that have to be lanced and drained. The last few the doctor only uses a local and it hurts like heck!!! I currently have another abscess and have been hoping it would open and drain on it's own but no such luck. My mother in law suggested I try a drawing salve. Has anyone tried this? I am terrified to call the doctor because I don't want to go through that again so I used the salve tonight. Hoping it helps!!! If anyone has tried this stuff I would love to hear how it worked for you!
My abscesses have all been treated with an I & D at Emergency. My first experience the Emergency Physician used a local & it hurt a hell of a lot. Certainly enough not to want a repeat experience....The most recent visit,however, the I & D was much more bearable with twilight propofol : )

So far no change. I have used the salve for the last 3 nights and no draining yet. The only thing I notice so far is that the skin has started to feel like it is getting thinner so maybe it will work. Keeping my fingers crossed!