• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back pain- 4 weeks after ileostomy

Hi guys,

I'm not new to this site, but forgot my logins! Doh

After suffering with Crohns for 10 years I had to have emergency surgery nearly 4weeks ago and now I have a permanant ileostomy and had my entire colon removed.
The operation was keyhole but lasted 7 1/2 hours. I developed a kidney, urine, chest and wound infection so was in hospital 1 week before op, 2 weeks after. I have an open wound in my belly button as this opened up and a district nurse comes out twice a day to tend to it(packed with aquacell) this seems to be a very slow healing process and wound goes 6cm down.

Anyways, the problem I'm having is major back pain! I've never had back pain before and now walking for 30 mins will result in needing to lie down for hours, but this too is agony.
Is this normal after ileostomy? I wasn't sure if it's down to your kidneys being more exposed now too?
Any advice is appreciated. I'm starting to think I'm maybe expecting a bit much this soon after surgery, but I expected wound pain not back,

Have you talked with your doctor about it?
All I keep being told is I've had major surgery and it's going to take a long time to recover. My wound that's opened goes 6cm deep, so they're packing it every day with aquacell. I just wondered if back pain is normal. It gets a lot worse if I walk for any length of time or lie in the same position