• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tight dry skin

I've had four doses of remicade so far and over the last six weeks I've developed dry, flaky skin on my face. This improves with moisturiser for a short while but stings when applying it. I also have dry, sensitive skin on my neck, top of chest and top of back.

I've had dry skin before but not this bad and not with a feeling of tight/tautness.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have also noticed some dry skin issues after only two infusions. Doesn't sound quite as bad your issues--it's also winter where I am so that may have a little something to do with it.

Thanks for your reply.

It's gotten worse now. It's like little patches of exzema/dermatitis pretty much all over my arms and back with a few patches on my legs too.
It's itchy and feels almost like it's burning quite often.
At this stage my GI says it's helping my crohns so I have a cortisone cream for the rash but I can't help but wonder if this is the beginning of the end for me with Remicade.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have had skin issues in the past while on Remicade, but stuck them out until they (thankfully went away/died down) and have stayed on the remicade as it is working well for my Crohns.

My personal opinion, if you can deal with it, especially if remicade is working or your crohns, I'd do it......at one point after a bout of strep literally my entire body was one big scaly rash...took a few years for it to totally go away, but it finally did!

What kind of cream do you have? I found that too much use caused a rebound effect, so I used my cream sparingly.....that is clobetasol.....I also have protopic, but I can only use that in very small spots as it BURNS.....found that out the hard way when I used it on my back and I ended up almost going to the ER due to the burning/pain!

I have had skin issues in the past while on Remicade, but stuck them out until they (thankfully went away/died down) and have stayed on the remicade as it is working well for my Crohns.

My personal opinion, if you can deal with it, especially if remicade is working or your crohns, I'd do it......at one point after a bout of strep literally my entire body was one big scaly rash...took a few years for it to totally go away, but it finally did!

What kind of cream do you have? I found that too much use caused a rebound effect, so I used my cream sparingly.....that is clobetasol.....I also have protopic, but I can only use that in very small spots as it BURNS.....found that out the hard way when I used it on my back and I ended up almost going to the ER due to the burning/pain!
Thanks Lisa. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I didn't end up having a choice. My GI took one look at the rash on the day of my scheduled infusion and said it's not happening. It was quite itchy and felt awful so I'm not disappointed at all.