• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal pain?

What do you do about abdominal pain? It seems like I have it quite a bit, on and off. The past week, it has been really bad, though. I called and talked to the nurse at my GI's office this morning. She basically just told me that's normal. She said she would talk to the doctor and get back to me.

You can take Tylenol if the pain is getting difficult to tolerate, but you cannot take Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) as they are counter-indicated for people with our condition.

Otherwise, you can adopt a soft diet and abstain from eating fiber, uncooked veggies or fruits and whole grain products. It will give your bowel a short break, which could help reduce inflammation and the associated pain.

The last and best option in my opinion is cannabis, either inhaled via vaporization or eaten. Cannabis eliminates epigastric pain almost instantly via inhalation, but Indiana is not a MMJ friendly state as far as I know, but maybe you know people who use it (either medicinally or recreationally).

Your nurse was correct to say the pain is normal, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated at least slightly.

The nurse called back and said the doctor wants to see me. The first appointment they have available is next Tuesday. I really hope I am feeling better before then.

The nurse called back and said the doctor wants to see me. The first appointment they have available is next Tuesday. I really hope I am feeling better before then.
As a temporary relief, you might try a hot water bottle or heating pad; I find the warmth helps me a lot.

A lot of my discomfort when I have a flare is from gas. I find over-the-counter drugs for gas help a little.

Well, I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Definitely not excited about this. He thinks I am starting to flare, and wants to see for sure what is going on. He talked about he possibility of starting uceris, or maybe some sort of suppositories depending on how things look. This is NOT the way I wanted to spend my Thanksgiving week.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Good luck with your colonoscopy tomorrow! Know your worries about wanting them to find something so they can fix it, but at the same time hoping that they find nothing. Been there. Please keep us updated. Sending hugs your way.

So, all went well. Doc said I am looking better than I did in May when I was diagnosed, which is good news. There is still some inflammation, though. So, I am going to be starting an 8-week course of uceris. Any words of wisdom about uceris from anyone who has taken it?