• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dairy free banana ice cream

nogutsnoglory

Just made this tonight. So delicious!

-cut two bananas into slices
-place in freezer
-once frozen place in blender or food processor

There you go you got banana ice cream. If you need a little more cream to help your blender just add almond milk or mash it up a bit first.

Throw in some other types of frozen fruit (strawberries, mango, peaches, etc) or some dates for a refreshing, sweet ice cream. For a real treat, throw in some raw cacao powder and peanut (or other nut) butter! YUMMM. My Vitamix didn't do well with this, but it works great in the food processor! Tastes exactly like ice cream with the same consistency!

Make sure the bananas you use are ripe so you can digest this easily! :)

Yum! I eat bananas every day. I need to try this. Cacao and peanut butter added to it sounds even better :smile:

You can still use the Vitamix, just go slow and don't fill your blender to the brim. Pre-chop the bananas before you freeze them (or just chop them before you put them in). If you smell something, let it rest for a few minutes; that's a built in safety feature. I've made it in there a bunch, but I didn't know how many times it would let me, so caved and got a food processor (only $25 though!)..

Lately I've been using frozen (ripe!!) bananas, cinnamon, chai spice, and sometimes a little real vanilla extract, plus a little bit of water. So simple, and probably the absolute best food during a flare - full of nutrients, calories, and absolutely delicious. :)

Banana is one of my favourite fruit..And ice cream with banana is yummy...I like this recipes..But,having daily is to concern a little about the health..

nogutsnoglory

Banana is one of my favourite fruit..And ice cream with banana is yummy...I like this recipes..But,having daily is to concern a little about the health..
What about it is bad for health? It's natural sugar and bananas have many health benefits and help with binding stool.

Yes..But,don't we put on weight if we have daily...??
I eat bananas all the time now as they're one of the few fruits I can tolerate with my ileostomy. I'm eating at least one banana a day and it's definitely not causing me to gain weight.

Why would a banana make you gain weight, specifically? You gain weight if the overall calorie content of your diet is more than your energy expenditure, it doesn't matter which foods those calories comes from. And as foods go, a banana is pretty low calorie, so if you're filling up on bananas you won't be getting as many calories as the same amount of many other foods would provide, and bananas are very healthy in terms of providing nutrients as well.

Plus some of us need to gain weight.

Happy to have come upon this since I'm avoiding sugar for now after a ton of antibiotics! Love it with PB or PB2 powder!

I do this now, but I use a ninja and add almond milk so it's more like a milkshake! SO YUMMY, and more than a little addictive!