• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Degrees of a Flare

I know there is no silver bullet or answer, but does anyone know of degrees of a flare? I know my body and I'm fairly confident I'm no longer in remission. My question is this though, at what level do most of you call your GI? I don't want to run to him for every ache and pain. On a scale of 1-10 I would put myself at a 2. A little mucous, very mild abdominal pain, and mild D. I changed my diet completely and cut out all those bad vices. It certainly helped. At what point do we realize the flare is gone?

Thanks,

Joe

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Don't blame you for not wanting to contact your GI all the time. But, I would say that if you're asking us about contacting your GI it's time to do so. It does sound like you may have a little flare. But, whatever you did is working. However, I am not a doctor. So, this would probably be a better question for your GI. Hope you feel better soon. :)

How long has it been going on? One of the things I hate with this disease is not knowing if it's my Crohns acting up, or a stomach bug. The mucus points to the first though

I would say its been acting up for a few weeks. Keep in mind I am a very anxious person. Anything I feel lately I am wondering about. When I know I am in remission I wouldn't think twice about it. After I modified my diet is simmered down, still some symptoms though. I am going to take the plunge and try some coffee today. I never have an issue with coffee while I am in remission. I haven't had any in a week and a half and we will see how it goes. If my symptoms don't disappear by next week off to the GI I go.

Thanks for everyone's feedback,

Joe

Thanks everyone. I wanted to give you an update. As I said, I completely modified my diet. It simmered down but I wasn't completely satisfied. I said I would give myself until this week before calling my GI. But - I decided to go out and try some probiotics. I bought 30 mill dosage. I took it Saturday and wasn't sure if it was working until I realized I did not have one symptom. I have been taking it for three days. Could this really put it into remission? I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Joe

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I doubt that probiotics will put you into remission. But, do believe they do help you while in a flare or if you have a virus your can't get rid of. They help put the good stuff back into your system.

my little penguin

Staff member
Sorry but 30 million is extremely low for probiotics
Ds was on vsl #3 prescription strength (900 billon)
It takes 30 days of double dose of probiotics (1800 billon)
To start to change the gut at all - the gut has an extremely large numbers so it takes a long time
Probiotics have not been proven to effective at all in crohns only UC
And does not induce remission with just one small dose

Glad your felling a bit better
But crohns waxes and wanes

Hugs