• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Paranoid going out with noisy stoma

nogutsnoglory

I'm really avoiding a lot of situations over the fact that my stoma is noisy. There are lots of reasons I don't go out much but I don't want this to be one of them.

If it was just stomach noise I could live because everyone has that but this is loud farting from my front and people hear it. I don't want people thinking I'm gross or imagining smells. I'm so embarrassed and nervous about it.

I avoid the gas producing foods and put pads to reduce noise but nothing works. Any tips?

PsychoJane

There are several noise cancelling device... I don't know if they work or not... It apparently isolate the noise. They seem a bit bulky though. Google stoma noise control and a few options are popping up.

nogutsnoglory

They are expensive though so I wouldn't want to buy unless I hear firsthand accounts of them
working. I was googling construction stuff to help muffle noise maybe I can make something.

PsychoJane

You rang a bell, I saw this at some point I think... I'll try to find the one I have in mind and link it (but maybe it is the same)

PsychoJane

If mine was still being noisy I could try making something but I can't verify if it works.... Look at sound proofing material for audio chamber maybe?

Last edited:

Kev

I can't help with your issue. I don't have a stoma, I don't know whether or not those noise abatement products work.

However, I have extremely noisy 'guts'. It wasn't always this way... I was at normal noise levels pre disease. I'm not sure of the cause in my case... whether the resections made it shorter (turned it from a soprano to a bass).. or the surgeons re-routed my guts with their operations... or my collection of scar tissue has given me internal echo chambers... or perhaps a combination of those. Who knows? I certainly don't.

I was in a quasi relationship (any port in the storm sort of thing... it can be a cold/cruel world out there)... with someone who had insomnia... and drank to compensate for it. Me? I slept like a baby... very deep, sound sleeper... which I'm guessing can be a very aggravating partner for a non sleeper... especially if the 'sound' sleeper (me) has a very noisy gut... noisy enough for the non sleeper to have an even more difficult time getting to sleep... so they drink even more... AND when that doesn't help, they become violent..

I was getting these inexplicable bruises... Anyway, I digress. The thing is.. I allowed this person to 'condition' me into thinking I was a 'freak'... that my noisy gut was monstrous.
It became a thing, an 'issue'... although I'd never heard it, (asleep that is).. I believed in.

I ended the quasi thing back in 2012. Here it is 2014... and I'm in a new relationship, and it's a real relationship... And my 'noisy' gut... (well, it isn't all in my head, my gut is pretty noisy)... BUT... it isn't monstrous.. I'm not a freak. Would I become a recluse if I stuttered... or a had a lisp... Well, it's a rhetorical question.. We all have our flaws, our 'things'.. (I come from a family with a 1 armed grandpa, a 1 legged uncle, and a 1 eyed cousin)... None of us are perfect... how boring it would be if we were. I think "WE" need to relish/cherish our differences.. our things... our flaws AND imperfections. Right?

nogutsnoglory

I think in a loving relationship my noises would be accepted but I'm more worried about public and especially dates, interviews etc. it's better if people know but if they don't it's just odd.

I skipped another event tonight and partly due to fatigue but also to my fear of stoma farts :(

Nyx

You'll eventually get to the point where you don't care what others think. There's nothing you can do about it, don't let a moment in time hold you back. It's just a fart. What's the worst thing that's going to happen?

nogutsnoglory

The world won't end but don't want to be the gross, dirty, smelly guy. Plus the guy farting from his front. I know I'm overthinking it but I hate my stoma ;(

I think I can help. I had an ileostomy done back in 2011. At first I, like you, was scared to go out in public with it because of noise. I dreaded meetings. But I found a good and simple (and free!) way to control it. You can usually hear noise before anyone else and just place your hand or wrist over your stoma and that helps it a whole lot. It is hard for anyone else to hear anything then. Seriously though, I have never had that much of a problem with it. You'll get used to dealing with it and it will become automatic and you'll take it all in your stride after a while. After all you are a Crohnie, we're built to take all the s@#t life can throw at us (and to make bad pun's about bowel movements!)! It'll take a bit of time, but you can do it. Best of luck.

nogutsnoglory

Thanks I don't have a heads up and it's loud but I have tried the hand or wrist over but to no avail. I need some device or cloth there.

I used to have a very loud noisy Stoma, especially when I was at work, which was embarrassing because I work in a museum which is pretty quiet in places. Mind you, I did get a feel for when a fart was coming and could clamp my hand over my Stoma to muffle the noise a bit.
I often just used to say 'sorry about the noise, it's just Norman making his presence known.'

My fistula (which was in the same place on my stomach as my Stoma had been) was even worse than my Stoma. It was really noisy with no warning, plus the feeling I got when it did fart made me jump every single time. So, at least I was just as surprised as everyone else, which made it less awkward somehow.

I don't remember who, but someone on the board is a school teacher and has a stoma. They took an oven mitt and belted it over their stoma. They reported great success with this.

I'm really avoiding a lot of situations over the fact that my stoma is noisy. There are lots of reasons I don't go out much but I don't want this to be one of them.

If it was just stomach noise I could live because everyone has that but this is loud farting from my front and people hear it. I don't want people thinking I'm gross or imagining smells. I'm so embarrassed and nervous about it.

I avoid the gas producing foods and put pads to reduce noise but nothing works. Any tips?
It's strange - I react in a completely opposite way: since long before I had a stoma, my stomach has been incredibly noisy. It's not normal hunger noises that everyone's stomach makes, it's disgusting gurgling and churning, and happens far too often and goes on too long for anyone to consider it normal.

And I am so embarrassed by it. My embarrassment was at its worst when I first got ill as a teenager, and doctors were telling me I had IBS and it was all stress-related and psychological and it was no big deal. Because I was being continuously told there was nothing medically, physically wrong with me, I could only think of the noises as something embarrassing and disgusting. I couldn't explain it to people by saying - "I have this illness". What could I say? "I'm so uptight and bad at handling stress it gives me diarrhoea, and the diarrhoea runs through my intestines making these noises"? I feel like if you have a real, serious medical condition, it implies the symptom to be something that's not your fault; if it's not from a serious medical condition, then it's something people can laugh at in a way that wouldn't be acceptable if you have a serious illness - so bowel problems come into different categories: people deride others for farting; they don't deride people for having bowel cancer.

The stomach noises still embarrass me, though I don't get so very depressed over it as I used to, which was in part due to learning it is physical and not the result of my personal failings, and in part due to growing up and learning to accept things more. But I'm not nearly so embarrassed by the stoma noises, because it can be so easily explained, and no one's ever going to deny that a stoma is a serious thing and therefore not something to be laughed at. I think I would feel embarrassed if I was in a formal situation and it made a fart noise and I didn't have the opportunity to explain my stoma to the people present, but even then my embarrassment would be reduced by my knowledge that I do have that explanation - that acceptable reason for the noise - even if in a particular instance the people present weren't aware of it.

When I was being told over and over that I had IBS because I couldn't handle stress properly, I felt that my symptoms were just part of me being a disgusting, defective person, because that's the impression doctors and my parents were giving me. My stoma feels like a legitimate reason to have abnormal symptoms - not my fault, not something I can control, not a sign that there's something inherently wrong with me.

Last edited:
I realise that post didn't actually offer anything helpful - sorry. I've not found a way to reduce my stoma's noise, and like you something as simple as covering it in no way stops it being audible to other people.

I guess what I'm saying is that my lack of embarrassment stems from my understanding that my stoma is not an indication of a personal flaw (I mean flaws in personality or spirit or whatever - I have a physical flaw, obviously), it's not my fault and it's not a joke.

How do you feel about your stoma? I know you feel disgusted by it - but do you think in your mind it's somehow mixed up with thoughts that it signifies something disgusting about you, or that it's something you somehow deserve to be burdened with? Or did anyone ever imply that to you? (Sorry, probably these questions are far too analytical, but it might help to think about it?)

I don't remember who, but someone on the board is a school teacher and has a stoma. They took an oven mitt and belted it over their stoma. They reported great success with this.

Not sure if that was me as I'm not a teacher, but I posted here probably about a year ago about the success I had with cutting out part of an oven mit/glove and fitting between my stoma waistband and my stoma.

My stoma is ultra loud, and using a hand to cover did very little other than make me look silly to be honest, but after using the oven glove/mitt technique the loudest stoma sounds end up sounding like a gurgling stomach and not a fart! :ylol:

So it's stoma waistband --- then square cut out from an oven glove/mitt -- and then the stoma bag. With a tight enough stoma waist band, than mitt gets squashed nice and tight so it's not easily noticed but the spongey-ness of it allows the stoma to work well...and much quieter! It's worked for me over the last 6-7 years at work in big meetings! Hope this helps :) :)