• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First colonoscopy

I'm going for my first colonoscopy on 1st April and I've been advised not to eat anything solid for the entire day before, clear fluids only (I thought I'd at least be allowed a breakfast before starting on the Klean prep).
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with the feeling of being so hungry? Do I stay up as late as possible, eat as much as I can up until midnight?

When I had my first colonoscopy last year, I actually ate light the day before the clear liquid day, and wasn't hungry at all, due to drinking all the liquids all day long.

I think it depends on which preparation you take and what time your colonoscopy is. Had my last one a few days before Christmas. Was allowed to eat breakfast on the Monday morning, then clear fluids until the Tuesday (appt was at 11am) then just water. I didn't get too hungry at all. Just got fed up with sweet stuff and resorted to veg stock. Mmmm! Think you can suck like a jelly sweet (like jelly baby without the white powder ) but NOT the red or black ones. Good luck. They gave me biscuits after - they tasted SO good! X

I alternated the sweet liquids with salty clear broths, and ate popsicles and jelly to break up the monotony. Broth/stock does a good job of fighting off the hungries.

My appointment is at 10.10am on the Wednesday and I've not to eat anything on the Tuesday. I start the bowel prep on the Tuesday afternoon which is the same day I've to have clear fluids only, prior to that I've to have a low fibre diet for 2-3 days. Think I'll alternate between lime jelly and vegetable stock!

Think I started my prep at 8am on the Monday for a Tuesday 11am colonoscopy. Guessing I had different prep - Picolax. Makes the water go slightly warm, is pretty grim. Have a strong tasting drink to hand! As 2th Fairy said, stocks break up monotony of other liquids as most I could think of were sweet.

Your granny is right. The bowel prep is the tough part.

Halfway through the bowel prep, you won't feel hungry at all, but keep drinking fluids anyway.

I've got Klean prep to take, 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening. Each powder sachet is to be dissolved in 1 litre of water so I'm guessing that's to compensate for fluid loss. I know from one of my student nurse placements that it tastes disgusting so I'm gonna have some diluting juice at hand to mix in with it.
I'm wondering what time I should start drinking my last lot? I don't want to be up all night on the toilet!

I did get instructions with it but they are rather vague, simply says take 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening. I shall phone the endoscopy unit and ask.

I know I used a different prep but mine had instructions with the exact times. If you google "colonoscopy prep" the result from Royal Marsden gives the same prep as yours and gives times etc.

I've got Klean prep to take, 2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening. Each powder sachet is to be dissolved in 1 litre of water so I'm guessing that's to compensate for fluid loss. I know from one of my student nurse placements that it tastes disgusting so I'm gonna have some diluting juice at hand to mix in with it.
I'm wondering what time I should start drinking my last lot? I don't want to be up all night on the toilet!
The time the prep starts working varies from person to person, so you can't be sure.

Thanks that information is really helpful and says I can have a breakfast at 7am :)
Don't eat breakfast if your doctor says not to! I'd call the endoscopy center to be sure. The last thing you want to do is go through the whole bowel prep only to end up with an incomplete prep and have to do it all over again.

I had my first colonoscopy on Monday. I honestly didn't get hungry at all. I think the prep and all the clear fluids I drank kept me full.
I drank a lot of apple juice and I had a strained chicken noodle soup to replace my meal which kept me going. I had an afternoon procedure and I was able to have food up until lunch the day before the colonoscopy but it may be different for different times.
I hope this helps, I'd definitely recommend the strained chicken noodle soup.

My doctor had an unusual prep. Ice cream counted as a liquid. But if your doc doesn't approve it don't do it. But for lunch the day of my prep my co-worker bought me cold stone because reasons

I'm defintely not allowed ice cream, not even allowed a splash of milk in my tea. It's annoying and weird how there is no standardised preparation. I've double checked my appointment booklet and it defintely says no solid food on the day before my appointment so I'll stick to that.

This is the leaflet they sent me:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files\110707colonoscopy.pdf

I didn't have a whole lot of appetite anyway, though I was feeling pretty weak by the time I got there. The CT Scan I had about 4 months later was far worse - I made the mistake of walking (only a mile away from home), but getting back was a real struggle just putting one foot in front of the other. And then I had to do it all over again for surgery.

But I would say that those couple of occasions not eating for 24 hours gave my digestive system some much needed relief. And the two bacon sandwiches I had after my CT Scan didn't half taste good.

I have a similar leaflet from my own hospital however I've been given a different bowel prep so have totally different instructions.
My first bit of food after the colonoscopy is going to taste glorious!

This is the leaflet they sent me:

http://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files\110707colonoscopy.pdf

I didn't have a whole lot of appetite anyway, though I was feeling pretty weak by the time I got there. The CT Scan I had about 4 months later was far worse - I made the mistake of walking (only a mile away from home), but getting back was a real struggle just putting one foot in front of the other. And then I had to do it all over again for surgery.

But I would say that those couple of occasions not eating for 24 hours gave my digestive system some much needed relief. And the two bacon sandwiches I had after my CT Scan didn't half taste good.
Definitely have someone to drive you home after. Different drugs are used, but the stronger ones can make you very sleepy and dizzy, and kind of happy and uninhibited. Not that I ever drink alcohol myself, but I would plan getting home after a colonoscopy as if you were planning how to get home after a night of heavy drinking: have a sensible, sober person to help you who knows you're liable to collapse, who you don't mind saying embarrassing things to, even though you may not remember afterwards, and whatever else you do, do not attempt to drive.

Then go get something yummy to eat as long as you're not feeling like you're going to throw up. :)

That patient information leaflet lists red meat as a high fibre food - I thought meat doesn't contain much fibre and only gristle has to be avoided on a low fibre diet, or have I missed something?

My mum is coming to pick me up, take me home and feed me after :) I'm pretty sure it's midazolam they use for sedation which can make you a bit loopy but I've had general anaesthetics before and bounced back pretty quickly.
My patient leaflet says I can have red meat on a low fibre diet but to avoid processed meats, stewed meats and meat in breadcrumbs.

So I'm thinking ahead to what supplies I might need for the colonoscopy prep. So far I have baby wipes so I don't get a sore backside, chicken broth cubes, lime jelly and diluting juice. Have I missed anything?

I liked to wash the taste out of my mouth with sprite. I also ate some popcicles (blue, green, yellow-no orange or red) it's a lot easier to prep at home, prepping in the hospital was terrible(They tried to force me to drink it all and all I was doing was throwing it up and I wasn't allowed any other fluids). Also keep the prep cold it helps it go down. Sleep next to the bathroom ;)

Thanks got sprite and ice lollies on the shopping list now :)
I'll make the prep up in advance and chill it in the fridge before I attempt to chug it down.
Luckily I live in a wee flat and my bedroom is directly across from the bathroom however I've asked a nurse colleague to acquire some absorbent pads from work just in case, not taking any chances!

Some thick barrier cream - I used to use E45 - because even with baby wipes you might still get sore. Are you allowed boiled sweets? I can't stand jelly so sweets were about the only thing I could eat. I ate a load of glacier mints.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
When I last did colonoscopy prep, I just tried to make things as comfortable as possible. I got some nice scented candles for the bathroom, and I had my ipod on a dock in there playing a nice soothing relaxing playlist. I wore my comfiest sweatpants and my fuzziest socks. I had a nice bath at one point in the evening between potty trips (you could even try an Epsom salt bath to help soothe your backside). I put plenty of things in the bathroom to keep me entertained - books, Nintendo DS, Kindle, portable DVD player, etc. In between potty trips when I wasn't in the bath, I had my electric blanket set up on the couch so that I could cuddle up and keep warm (I get really chilled when I'm going to the bathroom a lot). I made sure to get everything in place ahead of time so that prep would go as smoothly as possible. So that's my recommendation - make things as comfortable and nice for yourself as you can, because prep is not a particularly comfortable or nice experience.

You can find some great prep tips here

I had a horrid time with Klean Prep (although I did mess up the instructions) so refused it the second time. Was given PicoLax which was a million times better. Just 2x 1/2 cups of fluid for starters! Yet others find PicoLax intolerable.

For me I decided nothing could be worse than KP so was willing to try something else, at the tiny risk of it being worse. Happily I certainly found the prep that suits me.

You can find some great prep tips here

I had a horrid time with Klean Prep (although I did mess up the instructions) so refused it the second time. Was given PicoLax which was a million times better. Just 2x 1/2 cups of fluid for starters! Yet others find PicoLax intolerable.

For me I decided nothing could be worse than KP so was willing to try something else, at the tiny risk of it being worse. Happily I certainly found the prep that suits me.
Way to scare the poor girl! :(

It sounds like you're really well prepared! Which is great because it's not the loveliest of experiences but you get through it.

Just wanted to say, because I'd hate for you to end up with a blocked loo, that baby wipes aren't flushable but the moist toilet tissue ones are so they might be good to have. But I find I have to use any wipes somewhat sparingly as they seem to be more irritating on delicate skin than tissue. For me the answer is plenty of baths.

Also I've always found petroleum jelly to be the most soothing and it works quite well as a barrier too.

Way to scare the poor girl! :(
I'm sorry you feel that way but that was my experience, I am telling the truth.

You will also note I stated some people find PicoLax intolerable whereas I found it loads better than KP.

That clearly demonstrates everyone is different when it comes to prep, I am not saying one prep will be terrible for everyone.

Also I stated I messed up the instructions with KP, so that could have been a contributing factor.

I am not trying to scare anyone!

Thanks everyone for all your tips and advice. Will keep some Vaseline on hand for my sore backside and I'll make sure I have lots to keep me entertained while I'm sitting on my porcelain throne!
It's ok I'm well aware that Klean prep is no walk in the park but then again I don't think any form of bowel prep is :S

Find a show you like, if you can stream it on a tablet even better, and marathon. My roommate, best roommate, had a Shameless mini-marathon with me the night of my prep. Didn't even complain about the stinky farts that came out, but I did some courtesy febreeze sprays.