• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnant with Crohn's Support Group

Hello –
My name is Alli, I am 23 years old and am pregnant with my first child. I was diagnosed with Crohn’s when I was 14, and have had moderate symptoms. I am currently having a flare and have had more frequent flares over the past year. I have been on 75 mg of 6mp for the past 3-4 years. It worked great at first, but has lost the effectiveness. Once I took my first dose of Humira I felt great, but that only lasted about a month. I started to have symptoms again, and have been sick for the past few weeks.

My GI is adamant about keeping me on the 6mp, which I am weary of. There are increased risks for the child while I am on this drug, but his argument is that if I am healthy the baby is healthy. The thing is – I’m not healthy, and 6mp has not worked for me for some time. I am fine with taking Humira since it is a level B drug for pregnancy. My GI wants to increase my dose from 40mg every other week to once a week – still waiting for my insurance to approve this.

I have my first appointment with my “high risk pregnancy” OB tomorrow and hope she will give me some ease of mind, but right now I am very scared and confused about what I should be doing.

Are there any other women on this forum that have had success during pregnancy? What are your opinions on taking high risk drugs like 6mp? Any advice would be so helpful to me during this time of transition.

Thank you!

Hi there, I am posting in this group because I didn't get a reply in the TTC group, so if anyone has any thoughts that would be fab. I am 41 & my husband & I conceived our first child easily back in 2008, despite the fact that I'd had Crohn's related surgery in 2006, but at that time the Crohn's was undiagnosed. However, after problems through 2011 & 2012 and going onto Remicade since October 2012, my husband & I are struggling to conceive. We've been trying since May 2013 & have had all the tests: sperm, bloods, hysterosalpingogram & ultrasound & everything is ok which is hopeful. It's just sitting in the 'unexplained fertility' folder though! Our only other option is IVF. My concerns are this: Remicade suppresses the immune system & there are suggestions that taking it makes you weaker to fight anything & I mean anything that affects health. Therefore, do I want more meds in my system from IVF bearing in mind the risks that come with IVF drugs & the chances of Remicade possibly making me weaker to those risks if that makes sense? Any advice?....one nervous lady here! : )

Hi All,

I am wanting to gain advice on a tricky situation I feel I am in. I am currently pregnant with my first child and have been told over the years, that when I did become pregnant, due to past peri-anal disease and scar tissue, I would be required to have a C-Section.

However, on meeting with my consultant yesterday, he feels a vaginal birth would be safest as I have also had a right hemi-colectomy and he said he does not know the situation of my insides, should he open me up. Adhesions etc.

He said research states non active peri anal disease is less likely to cause problems and I have not had an operation for 9 years.

I am however petrified of ripping open my scar tissue/sphincter with the risk of being incontinent.

I have contacted my surgeon, however I am yet to receive a response. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this.

Hi there. Mmm tricky situation. Is there any way of scanning the scar situation in anticipation of a c-section? I had 3 ops on my rectum, 1 to drain some deep anal abscesses and 2 to lay open the fistulas caused by them. When I became pregnant 2 years later the lower grade doctors were trying to talk me into a vaginal delivery but when I wrote to the top consultant at the same hospital for a second opinion he looked at my notes and instantly felt a c-section was best. I doubt this is much help to you but I'd definitely be tempted to get a second opinion. I went on to have a 4th anal op in 2012 and have incontinence issues in the mornings now which is extremely inconvenient. My consultant said if I ever have another baby my rectum couldn't take a natural delivery under any circumstances. I hope you have a good experience and enjoy Motherhood it's the most magical gift! : )

Hi Chica, Thank you for replying to my post. Can I ask if they classed your peri-anal disease as active at the time?. Because mine was 9 years ago, I sense they feel it wont be a problem, however would hate the incontinence you mentioned.

Also have you had any bowel ops? If so, did this effect your C-Section or did all go well.

I am glad you are doing well and have 4 beautiful children :)

Hello again. No the disease was not considered active when I had a section at a better bigger hospital in 2008 and because I was at a stupid small hospital back in 2006 the Crohns hadn't even been diagnosed. We only have one child. I was too I'll in 2011 / 2012 to attempt trying for another as the Crohns was diagnosed in that period. So I got a section based on 3 anal ops and no understanding as to why I'd had the abscesses. I was advised that pushing naturally could cause a problem tearing and stressing weak sphincter muscle etc. The 4th op in 2012 was anal again so no bowel surgery. I am one step away from a bag now though as I dont have much rectum left. We have been trying for another child for 2.5 years but nothing yet. I'm 42 now so I've kind of accepted it is unlikely to happen. X

HI all, I am new to the group. I don't have Crohn's but I have had an adscess, a fistula, a fissure.. This is my second baby and I am suffering with constipation and horrible gas pain, I am wondering what everyone has taken or done for gas pain?

HI all, I am new to the group. I don't have Crohn's but I have had an adscess, a fistula, a fissure.. This is my second baby and I am suffering with constipation and horrible gas pain, I am wondering what everyone has taken or done for gas pain?
I took simethicone (Gas-x) when i had bad gas pain and that seemed to help.