• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Grey/black mucus

i have been on imuran for a week today. i woke up amd had an eposide 3 timea bring up grey/black mucus. Then it turned to yellow/green.

Has anyone had that happen to them?

i dont smoke nor have i been around anything burning etc.

Hey Foster,

I have always had the greyish/black mucus when I flare. In fact, it is usually one of the first signs that I am flaring.

It bothered me so much in my first flare I showed a picture to my GI to make sure it wasn't blood from very high up. I didn't think it was because it was obviously black and had no magenta/burgundy whatever in it that would be expected. He said it is just mucus or damaged tissue that has sloughed off.

The best way I can describe it is, at least when on toilet paper, it looks like the liquid left after eating black beans.

Anyway, it is 'normal' during a flare for me at least and just a negative effect of the inflammatory process.

Hey Foster,

I have always had the greyish/black mucus when I flare. In fact, it is usually one of the first signs that I am flaring.

It bothered me so much in my first flare I showed a picture to my GI to make sure it wasn't blood from very high up. I didn't think it was because it was obviously black and had no magenta/burgundy whatever in it that would be expected. He said it is just mucus or damaged tissue that has sloughed off.

The best way I can describe it is, at least when on toilet paper, it looks like the liquid left after eating black beans.

Anyway, it is 'normal' during a flare for me at least and just a negative effect of the inflammatory process.

as you discribed it..yes THATS what it looks like. and great. thankd