• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do Steroids effect your mood/personality?

I've been on steroids for 10 weeks. I've recently noticed that I'm getting angry over trivial matters and I experience anxiety when interacting with unfamiliar people. This is totally antithetic to my personality. I'm normally very confident, easy going and very gregarious. The only change in my life has been the steroid. Anyone else experience mood or personality changes when taking steroids?

PsychoJane

When I was on steroid my mother would describe me as pretty despicable. I remember I would be very edgy while on prednisone, that, along with the fact I had to accept that disease was not the best combo. Are you tapering from steroids right now or starting soon?

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
That sure sounds like steriods to me. I'm usually I really easy going guy, but when I was on steriods my wife told me at one point to go live in the office in my shop because I would fly off the handle over nothing. That is the biggest reason I hate prednisone.

They changed me quite a bit. I was incredibly bored and restless, and I was awake so many more hours because prednisone caused insomnia - the extra hours and inability to concentrate on anything made me incredibly bored. Plus it gave me so much physical energy - I didn't know what to do with all the time I used to spend napping. I also had waves of euphoria that would come over me - which wasn't as good as it sounds. Despite the false euphoria, I was really miserable.

My GP prescribed me amitriptyline which cured the insomnia instantly and relaxed me enough that I could concentrate properly again and was very calm. Then further on into my course of prednisone, whilst I was already on the ami as well, I started getting feelings of great anxiousness. These have pretty much stopped now I'm off prednisone. I don't think it ever made me angry though.

Thanks for the replies and sharing your experiences. I should also ad that I'm on Uceris, not Prednisone. I was beginning to wonder why I've been so skitchy lately. Now I know why..... and it helps.

Kev

Normally, I'm kind, patient, funny and upbeat. Not moody, incredibly slow to anger, and I normally (although some might say abnormally) try to find the humour in situations.

On steroids... one minute I'd be fighting to control a rage that came out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever... the next, I'd be crying from some deep depression that really wasn't big at all. The swings are unpredictable, magnified out of all reality, and not based on any given situation. When it made you feel good, you'd feel like superman. Then, the least little thing would be your kryptonite. The worst part is lack of control. The pred is what is in control... and it drives hormones, psychology, emotional state out of whack. The only thing worse than pred is pred withdrawal... all of the down sides and none of the physical upside. Problem is.. it works. It will stop the disease, but you can't stay on it. Now, entocort might be a more viable option. I never went on it, but I've read posts of people who swear by it. But, it only works in certain circumstances.

Normally, I'm kind, patient, funny and upbeat. Not moody, incredibly slow to anger, and I normally (although some might say abnormally) try to find the humour in situations.

On steroids... one minute I'd be fighting to control a rage that came out of nowhere for no reason whatsoever... the next, I'd be crying from some deep depression that really wasn't big at all. The swings are unpredictable, magnified out of all reality, and not based on any given situation. When it made you feel good, you'd feel like superman. Then, the least little thing would be your kryptonite. The worst part is lack of control. The pred is what is in control... and it drives hormones, psychology, emotional state out of whack. The only thing worse than pred is pred withdrawal... all of the down sides and none of the physical upside. Problem is.. it works. It will stop the disease, but you can't stay on it. Now, entocort might be a more viable option. I never went on it, but I've read posts of people who swear by it. But, it only works in certain circumstances.
I agree on the control issue. I really hated discovering that my mood, emotions and personality are (at least partly) determined by chemicals. I thought I should be above that somehow. It's also interesting that the only way I found to control the effects of prednisone was using another mind-altering medication. However, I had no problems at all with steroid withdrawal. I tapered pretty quickly, I had a bit of a flu-like feeling for a couple of days when I had come off it completely, but that was it. I wonder if I hadn't been taking amitriptyline by then if I would have had more mood swings when tapering.

Kev

I don't know if the pred withdrawal was just the pred withdrawal; or it combined with the resulting major flare-ups I would have whenever I came off pred. You know? Like, it was bad enough ... losing that feeeling of.. invinciability.. then to be swallowed up by a full blown flare. I'd have fingers and toes crossed that this time, the disease wouldn't come roaring back.. but it always did. And, then it would be back on pred again, only I would have to go to a higher dose to get the same benefits... just a big viscious circle. No, more of a big downward spiral. So, there was withdrawal, combined with flare, add in fear, depression (and me and depression were pretty much total strangers before this), anxiety... and enough residual effect from the steroids to magnify those feelings.

As roller coaster rides go, I wouldn't recommend it, and I certainly wouldn't line up for it.

Thanks Kev and UnX. My doctor is going to start weening me off the Uceris at the end of this month. I currently take 1 pill a day. He's going to reduce my dose by 1/2 pill a week. I'm comfortable going very slow but concerned that I may begin to flare again. I usually get ever side effect known to man so I'm not looking forward to this.

In regards to highs and lows, I definitely experience them. The Uceris gives me tons of energy. I've been working out twice a day and I believe it's helping to diminish my anxiety. On the other hand, I'm wanting to go to bed at 6:30pm and only sleeping a couple of hours. I stay awake the rest of the night. It's definitely and emotional and physical roller coaster.

I was initially quite short tempered. It went quickly as I tapered down. However I noticed a huge huge huge mood change after coming off pred for the better. I was quite depressed on it, feel much more myself now at 2mg :)

I have been on steriods for my uc on and off for years. This year though, ive never suffered so much mentally. My relationship with my bf of over four years is pretty much on the rocks. Im absolutely vile and struggling to control my irritability. I can get a heart pounding anger over the smallest of things. Im usually really relaxed and see things for what they are but now im the oppersit. Ive been pacing the house all morning with anxiety, making stupid mistakes and just over all nasty. I look back some time later and wonder why the hell did I get so upset over that. Its really crushing me. My poor bf has been through it also. Ive lost my home with him due to my vileness, and he has no time for me. As if things werent had enough dealing with the disease. I couldnt be any lower.

Steroids had a really different impact on me. As well as giving me lots of energy at times, they had a fabulous antidepressant effect and I felt so happy to be alive, which probably made me a nicer person than usual!