• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any suggestions for my first GI appt monday?

Hi everyone,

I have my first appt. and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for me? Questions to write out, tests to request, etc?

I have written out the tests i have already had, the medications we have tried, and what i'm taking now, and a list of symptoms. I am wishing i had been keeping a food journal, but haven't, will start that now.

Thanks so much!

Just in case anyone has any questions about what's on my list, here it is. :)

-Abdominal pain/cramping/distension. Primarily in lower abdomen, worst in RLQ
-Sore butt, butt cheek area kind of between tailbone and anus, and over a little...
-Acid reflux
-Excessive burping (i NEVER used to burp, now i do ALL the time)
-Diarrhea and Constipation, more D, but a little of both....Probably from the T#3's i'm taking, firming things up a big. ;)
-Mucous in stools
-occasional blood in stools....fresh, and a little bit of coffee grounds in D at times
-Occasional low grade fevers
-skinny stools (about the size of my thumb)
-Night sweats
-decreased appetite (i'm usually a HUGE foodie, have no desire right now. :(
-15ish lbs. weight loss. I am overweight, so not a HUGE loss
-Fatigue/insomnia
-depression
-nausea/dry heaving

I have had bloodwork, pelvic US, gallbladder US, Abdo/pelvic CT, stool samples (C-diff, c&s, o&p), and an H-Pylori test

We have tried dicetel, nexium, and Buscopan

I am currently taking Probiotics, multivitamins, cipralex, birth control, Tylenol 3's prn, gravol prn, ativan prn, maalox prn.

:)
Thanks so much!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Sounds like you have it all undercontrol. Not much more, as mentioned a Colonscopy and/or a barium follow through will confirm suspicions of a narrowed intestine, which will cause pain and constipation. Yes Tylenol#3's will cause the constipation and that is why most Crohnies should avoid Codeine when you narrow. The burping I get just before a bowel obstruction and they are extremely painful, and you probably should be careful of that. Bood work may help too or stool sample but they never worked for me.

Good luck with your GI appt, let us know what he/she says and what the next step he/she takes ok?

Thank you very much for your comments ladies. :) I do try to stay away from the T3's, but sometimes the pain is just so unbearable i feel i need to try something, and it's all i have. :) I have found though laying on my stomach in the tub, propped up on my arms so that my weight isn't on my stomach, brings a lot of relief! :)

I will deffinately keep you guys posted, my appt. is on monday. I'm bringing my mommy with me. LOL. I feel like i need that support, and as she's a Crohnie, i think it will be good to have her there.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, support means alot!!! I had no one to come to my appts, and dealt alot of it on my own, and no computers back then. Sorry you are going thru this too and I am sure you mommy lol, is worried too, because she knows the drill...My sister was a bleeder and no pain, I was the opposite but nevertheless, she will totally understand. Hopefully you have a good and experienced Gi that helps you gain insight and pain control. Warm baths help meds go through your system better, vessels dilate and work better. We are glad you joined us!

Sounds like you are on the ball! Glad you have support. I always go on my own and sometimes get flustered and come away not having asked what I needed to. DEINATELY write everything down, or get your mother to do that. Good luck! :)

Sounds like you have it nailed! And great you have mommy - I took mine to my last appt because I have a habit of being a bit useless!

I took a long list to my last appt too - and I made sure I left it wih the GI - then I could be sure nothing had been overlooked. My GI is nice, but he doesnt say much so I find it difficult to talk to him sometimes - this way I know he knows everything without me having to muster up assertiveness when I feel like poop!

Hope it goes well!

Lishyloo x

Thanks again everyone. I don't know why, but i am very anxious about this appt., i just had to take an ativan to relax a bit....I think i'm just fearful that nothing will come out of this, i'm tired of going to appt's and having a doctor say they have no ideas of what it is, or how to fix it. :(