• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sweet Poison

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sarah has now made another change to her diet after hearing an interview with the author of the book Sweet Poison. She went on to download the book and after doing some of her own research, put simply, she is cutting out sugar from her diet. The interview weighs heavily on the obesity issue society has and the role sugar plays in that, Sarah does not have that problem so is basing her decision, after reading the book, on the effect sugar has on the body as whole.

Here is a link to a podcast of the interview given on ABC local radio...

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/06/10/3241046.htm

...the spooky thing about this is the author has the same name as her GI! :lol:

She started last Monday and says she feels great!

As some of you may know she is already vegan and is working more and more toward an organic diet.

Dusty. :)

Go Sarah! I don't know how she does it. I really admire her ability to make such good choices about what she puts in her body.

I'd like to cut sugar out but I like it in coffee and such and the alternatives, like aspartame can sometimes be even worse.
And perhaps the name thing was a sign that this will be good for her gastro health! :lol: I always read into weird things like that.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks Emily. :)

I use to have will power like that but somewhere along the way it went AWOL! :lol:

Dusty. :heart:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
the spooky thing about this is the author has the same name as her GI!
Even spookier, it was my late fathers name and a nephew too! :bat:

I agree with your daughter researching about the sugar thing. Not sure if it is the cause but it feeds the bacteria and yeast, which creates havoc. But seeing as we both have more than one family member with Crohns (mine all 5 of us have a form of it) which leads to be maybe both genetics and sugar?

Keep us posted on more what she learns. My daugter is taking nutrition and helping out with the research in University and I will share any new findings. Thanks for posting.

This seems relevant.

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717

I don't think sugar causes Crohns but I think it does cause inflammation which means I think it makes Crohns worse.

But I've yet to see good research on it (in regards to how it effects crohns) and it's just a hunch based on personal experience.

Problem is when I'm lax on eating habits (eating 12 oranges a day or 3 banana's in a row causes problems?) I'm also generally staying up late so I can't tell what's causing more of the problem. Staying up late IS bad for sure.

Sugar was definitely one of my worst triggers when I was flaring. I can tolerate it now but still try to steer clear as much as I can. I'm sure avoiding it will do Sarah more good than harm. I'd be interested to know if she looked into honey during her research? How is she doing now? I know you were a wee bit worried about her x

hawkeye

Staff member
Go Sarah! I don't know how she does it. I really admire her ability to make such good choices about what she puts in her body.

I'd like to cut sugar out but I like it in coffee and such and the alternatives, like aspartame can sometimes be even worse.
And perhaps the name thing was a sign that this will be good for her gastro health! :lol: I always read into weird things like that.
I used to take both cream and sugar in my coffee - then cut the sugar out and switched from cream to milk. Cutting the sugar out can be done, it just may take a bit of time.

Good on Sarah. A vegan and now cutting out sugar as well!!

I have always felt a bit of a sore tummy after drinking coffee and considered that a trigger for me although after reading this, it may well be the sugar I take in coffee that gives me grief? Something to experiment with as I don't take sugar in tea and that doesn't seem to bother me at all.

My will power isn't so good these days either.

Sandy, caffeine is my other worst trigger and I still can't have tea or coffee, not even the decaff versions. But always worth experimenting - you might be lucky and it is the sugar.

I'm about to start week 3 of no sugar. I've used Sarah Wilson's eBook, "I Quit Sugar" to wean myself off. The cravings were terrible in the beginning but it's gotten better. I'm with Sarah above, after reading how bad sugar is for me I had to give it up. I will add some back in after the 8 week detox but no refined sugar at all.

But seeing as we both have more than one family member with Crohns (mine all 5 of us have a form of it) which leads to be maybe both genetics and sugar?
Most likely learned inherited dietary behaviour and choices vs. genetics.

I'm sure none or very very few of your family eats abode, sinigang, bistek, or lechon with any regularity - yet there are millions that do in this world.

Your learned behaviours and what are passed down often have as much to do with anything as genetics. Kids of smokers are more likely to smoke, kids of drinkers are more likely to drink, if eating food with lots of sugar or that isn't very good for you is part of a parent's diet, kids will likely follow suit - it's been proven in research.

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Sarah has now made another change to her diet after hearing an interview with the author of the book Sweet Poison. She went on to download the book and after doing some of her own research, put simply, she is cutting out sugar from her diet. The interview weighs heavily on the obesity issue society has and the role sugar plays in that, Sarah does not have that problem so is basing her decision, after reading the book, on the effect sugar has on the body as whole.
:)

That is awesome Dusty, keep us posted on how Sarah is doing!!

Great information, thanks for sharing! I've been trying to eat less sugar because I heard it isn't good for inflammation.

Has she cut it out completely? As in, she doesn't eat anything with even the smallest bit of sugar in it? How about honey?

I'm about to start week 3 of no sugar. I've used Sarah Wilson's eBook, "I Quit Sugar" to wean myself off. The cravings were terrible in the beginning but it's gotten better. I'm with Sarah above, after reading how bad sugar is for me I had to give it up. I will add some back in after the 8 week detox but no refined sugar at all.
Dana,
That's some commitment! I admire your will power. Please do report on how you feel once you're few weeks into your detox.

I think I'm OK with most dairy products with exception of cream or full fat cows milk. I am going to try cutting out added sugars and reduce fried foods as a start along with coffee and alcohol which are the obvious trigger for me.

That is wonderful! Hope long term the low sugar/ carb addition to the diet brings about an improvement in health. Having followed low sugar eating for a few years at this point, it did for me.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Great information, thanks for sharing! I've been trying to eat less sugar because I heard it isn't good for inflammation.

Has she cut it out completely? As in, she doesn't eat anything with even the smallest bit of sugar in it? How about honey?
Not completely, she feels to do so would be too limiting, so only eats those foods with very little sugar, say 1 gram or less per serve. For example breakfast cereal, 2 Weetbix have 1 gram of sugar and 4 Vitabrits have 1 gram of sugar.

Being vegan she doesn't eat honey, I know some do but she chose not to.

Dusty. :)

Dusty that's great that Sarah is cutting out sugar. I haven't read "Sweet Poison" but I read an article the author wrote for The New York Times and it sealed my decision to give it up. As for me I'm cutting out all sugar as I work up to the 8 weeks. I'm in week 3 now and everything goes in this week. No honey, no agave, no fruit or fruit juice, nothing with any added sugar (the list is endless) or is made up of 3-6g per 100g or 100ml. So, wish me luck :) I will report back on how I feel.

I couldn't give up sugar. I have done so much to modify my diet, and I deserve at least one vice!! I notice that it can increase the gas in my belly when I am flaring, so I watch how much I am ingesting. I just don't want to give it up altogether. Maybe in another decade or so...

I have gone to an almost totally organic diet. Although my pizza habit isn't organic, virtually everything I buy at the grocery store is. It is a little more expensive, but compared to the cost of health care, I call it a sound investment.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good luck Dana! I look forward to seeing your updates!...:goodluck:

Hi Slim! :bigwave: So good to see you!

Dusty. xxx

Last edited:
I by the grace of God and my Saviour The LORD Jesus Christ am getting off of sugar. The stuff has robbed me of my energy long enough! After I eat lunch I must have some sweet dessert which makes me so fatigued that all I can do is close my eyes and lay down. It ain't worth it! I had rather quit the insanity of eating it and enjoy my afternoon. By the way, I have crohns and have had a resection in 2010. I praise God that I am still here and able to serve Him. This sugar has got to go because it is defiling my body and hindering me from many things. I thank God for the info on this site. Thanks to CTRL Z for the video on sugar.