• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Depression and Other Problems

R

ReeRee

Just curious if anybody else has other medical problems whether related to Crohn's or not.

I have clinical depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Crohn's related arthritis, Addison's Disease (from Prednisone, that lovely wonder drug), Acid Reflux Disease, cataracts, and some pretty serious back related problems like bulging and spurred disks and osteoarthritis of the spine as well as scoliosis, or curvature of the spine. The bulging disks in my neck are from having whiplash 4 times and from way too many heavy metal and rock concerts. Head banging can be dangerous to your health...lol.

I feel like I'm leaving something out...:confused:

R

ReeRee

Thanks Jeff, but I always feel good in my soul! Even when my body is declaring mutany..lol. I really hope you get your anxiety under control soon. It's not good for your guts!

J

jyarmo

Yeah, I can't imagine having to deal with anxiety and depression AND Crohn's at the same time. You two both must be very strong! I know that when I'm stressed my Crohn's related problems shoot through the roof...I can only imagine what anxiety can do!

It makes you loose sleep at night and makes you sometimes wonder bad thoughts but other than that it has very little affect or at least that is what my doc says.

J

R

ReeRee

Your doc tells you it has little effect on your Crohn's??? Or did I read that wrong?

Having anxiety is the absolute worst at night. Your mind can make a mountain out of a molehill in the still quiet of darkness. Jeff, when you feel that way, don't just lie in bed and think about it. Get back up, turn on a light, read a book, anything to get your mind off of it, then go back later and try again. I worry about you, my young friend!

Sorry to hear all that, Ree Ree but I can relate to that and to some of my other friends with it. I have crohn's related arthritis, fibromyalgia, allergies, weird rashes, mitrale valve prolapse (heart), very bad insomnia and yes, plenty of depression. None of those anti-depression pills ever really helped me but I do take ativan to sleep and for anxiety. I have a drawer full of so many meds. I've been on that prednisone for 15 years at one time but only a small dose and never got the cateracts or osteoporosis from it like many do. My bone density test, well, it was a miracle it was normal for my age with all those steroids over the years. I do feel badly for you. As many years I've had this, I still have days that you just can't deal with and think "why me", you know what I mean. Oh, I also have the acid reflux from taking all these meds! So I take prevacid to counteract that! It's always something....try to have some better days....that's all I can do, take it day by day....Judyc

Im kind of wondering now reading all of your posts to this question if my doctor is a quack. I get sick a lot. really sick from having a low immune system some nights ill feel fine and others Ill be running high fevers and being rushed to the hospital. I get at least 4-5 upper respitory infections, ear infections, ect a year and my doctor says its caused me to have asthma (sp?) so now shes got me on inhalers and this new stuff called advair. which doesnt seem to help. I feel like very time i go to any one my doctors im walking out with 3-4 new perscriptions, but i guess my biggest problem with Crohns is the fact that I always seem to get sick. Expecially in the winter time. just last year alone I had broncitis, 3 ear infections, strep throat, nasal infection, Viral menenjitis, and just constant fevers I couldnt get rid of. just seems if im not sick with my crohns im sick with something else. :(

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Are you on immuran by any chance? I know that can further weaken the immune system, but I do not really know what else to say/ suggest. I am sorry to hear that you are constantly battling something, but just keep at it and eventually everything will fall into place.

All Im on right now is Entocort and Asacol. Ive never been on anything else really for my crohns. Funny thing is my dorctors dont even have an answer to why Im always so sick. funnier thing is that I still go to them... lol:p

Well lets see...
I have in addition to the lovely crohns, asthma, hidradenitis (anyone else?), depression, most likely anxiety, and more often I think Aspergers syndrome as well... Oh ya, my back hurts all the time (no idea why) I never have energy, and I feel sick,weak,and tired nearly all the time. Think that sums it up!
On the bright side I enjoy talking with people who can relate!! :)