• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Are you on Sulfasalazine and supplementing with Folic Acid?

Are you on Sulfasalazine and do you take folic acid?

• I am on Sulfasalazine and DO take folic acid

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I am on Sulfasalazine and DO NOT take folic acid

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

David

Co-Founder
I'm curious how many of you are on Sulfasalazine and whether or not you were given folic acid to supplement with it?

*edit*
If you were previously on it, feel free to respond as if you are currently on it. Thanks :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I was given folic acid when I was taking Azulfidine many years ago. I'm not taking Azulfidine anymore though as it made me sick. How about an "I was taking it" option?

David

Co-Founder
I'm curious as to why you're curious.
It has been shown to interfere with folic acid utilization. I'm unclear if its metabolite, Mesalazine, and its derivatives do, there's a lot of conflicting information and I haven't had a chance to hit the scholarly journals yet. I'll report back what I find once I do.

I've seen a reasonable amount of people report taking Sulfasalazine here, but don't remember them reporting folic acid supplementation, so I thought I'd post a poll :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You could edit the first post and say that if you have taken it in the past and did need folic acid then to vote yes and if you didn't need folic acid then vote no. If it matters. I dunno.