• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New... my story

Hi everyone,
I'm Stephanie, and I'm an 18 year-old college student with Crohn's. I was diagnosed when I was 16 with mild Crohn's, which has progressed to moderate very quickly. I had been having serious cramping pain for years that I would stay home from school frequently for and just lie in a ball, and I had a lot of those disgusting bathroom things that you all know about. My family and teachers thought I was faking it for years and was making myself sick to get out of schoolwork and avoid things. Finally my sophomore year of high school, my mom took me to a gastro doc to start doing tests. It took until the beginning of my junior year for them to finally diagnose it after 6 or 7 different kinds of tests. I just started college this year and spent my first semester with the worst flare ups yet and had mono the entire semester. Now I'm home, the mono is gone, and I'm on my third week of the worst flare up I've had in my life. I just made an appointment to see my gastro doc again this week. I would really just like to meet other people who understand what I'm going through and don't think I'm just using it to get sympathy.

First of all, I am sorry for your diagnosis, but happy you are here!
Secondly, there is ZERO shame in needing a little sympathy!
We are all human, after all, and the disease is no small matter.
I can't say that it gets any easier, but over time, and as you learn more
about the disease, you learn how to manage it more efficiently,
and recognize when your body is telling you something and what it means.
Unfortunately, it just might take a lot of trial and error. It sounds like
your family is at least starting to understand how important this is.
I hope you are able to get all the information and support that you need here.
Welcome!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Hey Stephanie,

Don't the accusers get you down.

About the only thing I took out of my Crohn's diagnosis was finally, vindication. NO, I AM NOT FAKING IT.

We will listen to you here.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Stephanie...I hope you and the GI can get everything sorted out quickly so you feel better. Are you on any medication now??? Good luck at the appointment. I hope you feel better.

Welcome Stephanie
Sorry to hear of your worsenign condition. It sucks, doesn't it?
Anyway, you've come to a great place for support, and yes sympathy, here. Though what is even better is you get empathy because we all understand :)
Stay strong
Shaz

farm

Captain Insaneo
I would really just like to meet other people who understand what I'm going through and don't think I'm just using it to get sympathy.
Well that's us!!

Welcome to the forum, you arn't a Ravens fan are you? LOL

:welcome: Stephanie!! I understand pretty clearly what you have been through. I missed so much of my junior year that I had to repeat an English class during the summer even though I had a high B in the class, simply because of missed days of school. All the while with no one understanding what was wrong and my parents wondering if it was all in my head. I didn't get fully diagnosed until I was 27. I hope that you get through this flare quickly so you can get back to "life". We are glad you have joined us!

Thanks to all of you guys! I feel welcomed already lol
To imisspopcorn, I am not currently on medication right now. I was taking Pentasa for a while, but it only really helped the first couple weeks i was taking it. It made me really really tired all the time so I kind of traded one thing that kept me from functioning for another even though a much less painful thing and then after the first couple weeks it stopped working as well. I told my doctor about that, and she said I should increase the dosage, but since I was already taking 8 pills a day that didn't seem very practically to me. The prescription ran out a while ago too. Hopefully we can try a new one this time.
To farm, I am a HUGE Ravens fan! I love them =)
And to Peaches, I totally understand having to take classes over the summer. I actually had to take a leave of absence from this past semester so it's like the whole thing didn't count so I have to take a couple classes over again next semester and a couple over the summer next year. It sucks, but my adviser at school has been a big help with it.

Welcome Stephine, to the wonderful world of Crohnies. Yes, we will listen to everything you have to say whether it be to vent or asking for advice or things to watch for or just plain to be silly. I'm truely sorry that you had to be stricken with this crappy health issue. It is no fun when you first get it until you learn how to get it under control.

Hang in there and remember you just gained a lot of new family by joining this forum, okay Lil' sister.

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!! SOMETIME IN MY LIFETIME, PLEASE!!

Welcome Stephanie, I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. My daughter has just started college this year and its stressful enough without having to feel so ill too. I hope you find a good GI who will take the time to really listen to you and help you find a medication that will calm down your flare.

Welcome Stephanie.
I started getting severe pains in my first year of university..working mon-fri, going to school, and partying took a toll and by Christmas break I was forced to the ER to have my appendix removed. Along with my appendix came part of my bowl...SURPRISE you have Crohn's.

I learned that you must listen to your body and put your pride aside. Stress is the silent killer and life is too short. You won't find a calmer, cooler guy...stress be gone.

Welcome Stephanie,

We all are on a battle with this demon, you will get there, keep thinking positive..

I just started my course of Preds today so hopefully it will wor fast, ive been going through hell but have found this place a great source of information and strength!!!!!

I hope you get better soon. xx