• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/21/study-looks-at-worm-therapy-to-treat-autism

kiny

I love when some people associate this worm therapy with hygiene theory and try to associate changes in T cell to hygiene to make the theory work. They for whatever reason associate this parasite with exposure to bacteria like in that article. It's an immune modifier, the mechanics are not because you are rewiring the immune system the minute you stop the therapy the disease comes back, no matter how many times you introduce the parasite to the host.

These worms are just immune modulaters just like any other drugs, they aren't correcting the hygiene theory.

Just like genetically engineered probiotics aren't fixing any dysbiosis at all, they are just immune modulators.

But these worms sell way better if you start blabbering about the hygiene theory cause it suddenly sounds natural, infecting someone with a bacteria over and over is not natural, it's immune modulation.

I have nothing against it, it's just that they should stop trying to package and promote this as correcting the hygiene theory.

Last edited:
The most interesting thing in this article:
Hollander said his patient failed to respond to typical treatments like Risperdal or Abilify, which is marketed for severe disruptive behaviors. Incidentally, the teenage patient also has a history of allergies and food allergies – and his family has a history of autoimmune diseases. The family noticed their son’s autism behavior improved when he was having an allergic reaction or fever, leading them to believe there was a problem with his immune response – so they got the idea to treat him with TSO, an immunotherapy biologic agent.

When I have allergic reaction my CD in full remission! My friend also have CD and also when he has food allergic his CD in remission!
This is like spontan remission! And you can be in this remission as much as you can be on stabil allergic. But you can not be more than 20 days... then allergic make you worse that CD- poisoning of the body!

kiny

There's some interesting studies that show a correlation between serious infections and slowing down or improvement of certain cancers, because of the effect the infection and consequently the immune system has on the cancer. I would need to look them up again.

As I understand allergic reaction is also autoimmune disaster! Very high immunity! So maybe when I have allergies than it could be «redirection» of my immunity from cellular immunity on humoral.

kiny

Well, this is what I know.

TH1 and TH2 cells keep each other in a sort of balance. They can shift from TH1 to TH2 dominant and the other way around.

Allergies, bacteria, and lots of other factors influence this balance.

The hygiene theory tries to explain this balance as a reason for Western diseases, they claim that is the cause of a lot of diseases, a wrong balance, but it's just a theory.

When I have allergic reaction my CD in full remission! My friend also have CD and also when he has food allergic his CD in remission!
This is like spontan remission! And you can be in this remission as much as you can be on stabil allergic. But you can not be more than 20 days... then allergic make you worse that CD- poisoning of the body!
Igor, what sort of allergic reaction do you have which puts your CD in full remission? This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing - very interesting. Is it a food thing like your friend or airborne, like sneezing and such?

Also, how long does your CD then stay in remission?

Thanks.

Igor, what sort of allergic reaction do you have which puts your CD in full remission?
I have food allergic for herbs, nuts, honey and antibiotics (like Xifaxcan and Nifuracsazid)!
This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing - very interesting.
This is not only my case.
Is it a food thing like your friend or airborne, like sneezing and such?
Symptom description:
1. First 5 days – small skin rash
2. Next 5 days - itchy skin
3. Next 3 days – nausea
4. 1 day – diarrhea

During 15 days I have more or less symptom free. But I have to regulate my allergic with antiallergic (Loratadine and different sorbents) drugs!
My allergic reaction appears in increase symptomatic! This is like every day more and more you have it!

The most appropriate allergic reaction that can help me this is antibiotics (see below)! I tried herbs it was well but after some time it was very high allergic. Such Antibiotics like Xifaxcan do not absorbed.

Also, how long does your CD then stay in remission?

My remission: weight gain and stabile stool!

Thanks.