• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immigrating with IBD?

Hi.

I am currently a University student and I have crohns disease. After I graduate I would consider immigrating to a country where there is more job opportunity and for the experience.

I am curious to know is immigration possible for IBD sufferers? I am guessing it makes things more difficult with getting health insurance and a visa.

I currently have a stoma bag and I get infliximab infusions every 8 weeks. I feel like I am tied down as I doubt I could get this treatment outside my own country.

Has anyone on this forum moved country before? If so was the process more difficult because of IBD?

This is a very important question to me as well. I am a Ph D candidate in a reputed institute of management in India, and considering this option very seriously. The faculty says it is possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It would help to know which country/ies you are considering to immigrate to. Is your concern about the cost of health care, the availability of good doctors/hospitals or something else?

I am primarily looking towards the N America, UK, N Europe. My primary concern is about availability of reasonably low-cost medical services of this nature to non-citizens. I am aware that citizens get reasonable treatment in these countries.

Well health care is quite expensive in the U.S. We don't have a national health coverage program unless you are poor, categorized as disabled (medicaid) or over 65 years of age (medicare). Obamacare (or Obama's health insurance coverage) info for immigrants is here http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-immigrants/ Getting health care from this program can be expensive depending on your circumstances.

I teach English classes for adults (immigrants, refuges, visitors) and I know that visitors haven't been able to get access to U.S. health programs (medicaid). However, if you are in some categories of people who are immigrating, you may have access to some programs.

If you have a job with health benefits, your citizenship status shouldn't matter but if you lose your job you could be up the creek without a paddle. Our health programs may improve or worsen depending on the upcoming election. I do want to stress that health insurance is very expensive here (U.S.)as are drugs and doctors and hospitals.

It looks like Canada has national health coverage for permanent residents (who are non-citizens) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-health.asp

Thanks. I would go through the link. If you can provide some information about research workers in universities - whether they can get some sort of assistance, that would be nice.

I don't have access to this info. You could email the benefits dept of a university and ask if non-U.S. citizens who are employed there can get health insurance through the benefits plan.