• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Waiting to see surgeon

I am waiting for my referral to surgeon for possible resection of 2 fibrotic strictures in illium- due to pain despite being inflamtion free for over a year.

In the mean time I am on Azathioprine ( which seems to be working) and Movicol to help ease the constipation - which I guess is due to the stools getting compacted by the strictures.

I am finding that I have allot of discomfort in the rectal area after bowel movements-for 3-4 hours...

anyone know why this might be- if I up my movicol that seems to lead to pain in the actual strictures??

I am waiting for my referral to surgeon for possible resection of 2 fibrotic strictures in illium- due to pain despite being inflamtion free for over a year.

In the mean time I am on Azathioprine ( which seems to be working) and Movicol to help ease the constipation - which I guess is due to the stools getting compacted by the strictures.

I am finding that I have allot of discomfort in the rectal area after bowel movements-for 3-4 hours...

anyone know why this might be- if I up my movicol that seems to lead to pain in the actual strictures??
It could be a fissure maybe?
I hope you have comfort soon xxx

Well it has taken more than 6 weeks since I saw the Gastro Consultant but I finally have an appointment with surgeon in 2 days time. I have been referred for resection of 2 strictures in the ileum - about 10cm above the valve. Can anyone advise what questions I should ask? Obviously I would include the following..

Am I likely to lose the valve and if so is there prospect of permanent diarrheah?
Are my urinary urgency issues due to bulging of the intestines or do I need urological check first?
Recurrance rates and maintence meds given I have been in inflammatory remission for 6-12 months.

Well it has taken more than 6 weeks since I saw the Gastro Consultant but I finally have an appointment with surgeon in 2 days time. I have been referred for resection of 2 strictures in the ileum - about 10cm above the valve. Can anyone advise what questions I should ask? Obviously I would include the following..

Am I likely to lose the valve and if so is there prospect of permanent diarrheah?
Are my urinary urgency issues due to bulging of the intestines or do I need urological check first?
Recurrance rates and maintence meds given I have been in inflammatory remission for 6-12 months.
You might ask about recovery time.

As Ron said I would ask about recovery time. It is different for each person! I wish you the best, I wouldn't worry too much about the D.

Please keep us posted!

I agree don't worry about the D.

remission rates vary. This whole disease is very variable. Statistics in numerous studies show around 50% relapse within a 5 year period. I was 3 years unmedicated. I would recommend not going unmedicated to avoid future strictures.

I had problems with my bladder but that was because my bowel had got stuck to the bladder due to an abscess. Doesn't sound like that would be your problem though given it's just strictures. They may be able to check your bladder out though during surgery. I'd definitely mention it.

I'd ask about wound healing due to you being on azathioprine

Elanor-rigby...

wound healing - yes I don't know if they would delay it atall for me to come off AZA..but I guess that would take months!

Yeah I just know it takes many months to build up when u start aza so I guess it takes same time to stop supressing immune system....

Yeah I just know it takes many months to build up when u start aza so I guess it takes same time to stop supressing immune system....

When I stopped taking the aza my doctor said that it would take at least three months for it to be out of your system. At that point I had only been on it for 5 months.

I think a lot of the medications from CD can delay healing. Lialda is what my surgeon tells me is for the hold up with healing on mine. I'm 8 weeks post op and still have an open wound I'm packing.

Good luck to you!