• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

S

Soz

new here

Hello, my name is Jennifer. I was invited on the site LibraryThing by Mike. I'm 32 and I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 17. I've been on Pentasa, Prednisone, sulpha, Cholestyramine, Prevacid, Imuran, Entocort, and a few others over the years. Imuran has been the most helpful and Prednisone has been the worst. I have strictures so I'm on the low fiber diet. My old doctor never told me about the diet though, so I had an obstruction in 1998 and had to have emergency surgery. I've been able to avoid surgery since then and I've only been hospitalized twice. The first time was for the obstruction and surgery and the second was two and a half years ago for something the doctors thought was an obstruction, but I knew it was something less serious. My regular doctor was away and once I saw her after she returned, she told me I probably had a stomach virus which was made worse by also menstruating at the same time, so I was dangerously anemic. So I was put on Prednisone and antibiotics for nothing! :ymad:

My spouse and I have been together for almost 11 years now and he has been very supportive. My family mostly have been unsupportive jerks, but my spouse, my mom, and a few friends have been pretty good about everything.

I haven't been able to work since my surgery, so we manage on my spouse's income and my frugality. I used to feel depressed and guilty about not working, even though it's never been a burden. We just take longer to do things like buy a house, have children, etc. than we had originally planned. Since I went on the Imuran, I've gradually started feeling better and I rediscovered my childhood love for crafting. I'd like to sell some crafts online to support my crafting habit/addiction/hobby.

I love to read and I write a bit too. I started doing yoga a few years ago to lose some weight and deal with stress. And this summer, I've started walking for fitness too. Keeping active helps my Crohn's and keeping busy helps prevent going insane from boredom.

My one not so productive addiction is computer games. I try to limit my hours with my Gameboy and playing the Sims 2 on my computer so I don't waste too much time. ;)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi there Jennifer. Glad you took up my invitation :)!

I would definately look into disability. Why not make life a bit easier? I am glad that you have found someone who believes in a low-residue diet for strictures! Chewing your food carefully should help a lot also.

Anyways welcome to the community!

J

Jonny

Hi Jennifer welcome to the forums good to read a bit about you.All the best with your fitness and health.

Aloha Jennifer and welcome! I only found this place a few days ago & first posted yesterday, but folks have been very friendly and supportive. I think you'll like it here!

Happy Monday!

anita

V

Valentina

hi Jennifer! welcome to the site. oooh and after 50 posts you can play in the arcade, that might help you stay away from the gameboy? ;) lol
enjoy, and see you around I hope.

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

I pray that you have a good time ... meet lots of folks & have a great time here with us. I am GRANDMA BEAR aka KAREN. The group here let me in due to the fact that my husband is the one with CROHN'S & the support here is wonderful so have a great time !!​

A

andilynn09

Welcome Jennifer...
It sucks to hear most of your family and friends have been less than supportive, but I think you will find that most people here are friendly and more than willing to help.