• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

3 months and still bleeding

I have left sided UC. I have a flare for over 3 months now, going to the washroom 7-8 times a day and mostly blood..

I have a colonoscopy Thursday and I'm scared shitless.

I been on predazone for 2 months and it helps with the pain..

Is this all normal?

It means your UC is not controlled. 2 months on prednisone is probably the maximum amount of time you want to be on it, so hopefully your GI has something else planned for you.

Did your GI tell you why he requested another colonoscopy? Seems like a redundant idea if you are already diagnosed.

Any reason you are not on 5-ASA, or Imuran/Aza/6MP?

You will continue bleeding until your flare is addressed.

With active bleeding that is not going away with prednisone, it could be that your GI is checking for AVMs or signs of some other complication. AVMs generally can be corrected during colonoscopy with relatively little trouble.

I had a lot of bleeding that did not respond to any medication. All that was found was more ulceration and inflammation, but nothing more villanous. Try not to worry about it.

It means your UC is not controlled. 2 months on prednisone is probably the maximum amount of time you want to be on it, so hopefully your GI has something else planned for you.

Did your GI tell you why he requested another colonoscopy? Seems like a redundant idea if you are already diagnosed.

Any reason you are not on 5-ASA, or Imuran/Aza/6MP?

You will continue bleeding until your flare is addressed.
I have been on balsalazide for 10 years. 2 weeks ago he put me on apriso and still not helping.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
If it doesn't seem to be helping. I'd at least leave a message with his nurse to let them know and see if there's something that can be done for you. Especially if you seem to be getting worse.

hi anonyman,
yes its normal for UC'ers to bleed a lot when they are flaring. I have left sided Uc too and when I was at my worst I was going up to 16 times a day and it was mostly blood. Prednisolone didn't work for me either so I went onto remicade. it sorted me out very quickly.

the colonoscopy prep isn't going to be fun when you are so inflamed but don't worry I did it with no sedation. it was cool to watch. plus you get to eat right away and walk out of there quickly. did you get a full prep to do? your GI is probably checking to see if it has spread further up the colon and he'll probably take action once he knows where you stand.

how were your flares before now, have they ever been this bad?

ju

hi anonyman,
yes its normal for UC'ers to bleed a lot when they are flaring. I have left sided Uc too and when I was at my worst I was going up to 16 times a day and it was mostly blood. Prednisolone didn't work for me either so I went onto remicade. it sorted me out very quickly.

the colonoscopy prep isn't going to be fun when you are so inflamed but don't worry I did it with no sedation. it was cool to watch. plus you get to eat right away and walk out of there quickly. did you get a full prep to do? your GI is probably checking to see if it has spread further up the colon and he'll probably take action once he knows where you stand.

how were your flares before now, have they ever been this bad?

ju
I have UC for 11 years now and it is never this bad... I hope there is nothing else wrong...

I am kinda confused... The 1st month 1/2 since my flair I was going to the washroom a lot and I was NOT bleeding... Since being on Prednisolone for the 1 1/2 month i been bleeding...

what can it be? COuld it just be Hemorrhoids ?

It could be hemorrhoids. I was put on prednisone for a flare with pain and bleeding. Like you, it helped with the pain. However, it made my bleeding worse. Prednisone does not normally make bleeding worse, but it does happen in a small amount of people.

I suspect you are just having a really bad flare.

What prep were you given? What time is your colonoscopy tomorrow?

It could be hemorrhoid, polyps, AIS, or just a bad flare.

You've been on mesalamine for ten years, sometimes drugs just stop working and you need to move on to the next step.

Imuran or Remicade are your other options, and it's possible it's time for you to start immunosuppression.

It could be hemorrhoids. I was put on prednisone for a flare with pain and bleeding. Like you, it helped with the pain. However, it made my bleeding worse. Prednisone does not normally make bleeding worse, but it does happen in a small amount of people.

I suspect you are just having a really bad flare.

What prep were you given? What time is your colonoscopy tomorrow?
It is at 9:00AM tmrw... My prep is called Prepopik, i never heard of it..

Here is another question.... Sometimes I go to the bathroom 7-8 times a day.. others 1-2..
but all have blood..

My last colonoscopy was 11/2011 and it was perfect.. didn't really even show signs of UC anymore.. and now for the past 3 months this crap... Could be be something else than UC?

I have been eating like complete crap and gained 25lbs..

the eating is down to the pred. when i was on it I was a crazy maniac always looking for sugar!!! gained 10lbs too.
nov 2011 was a good while ago. most commonly people with UC flare at least once a year. im pretty sure its a flare. bad as it may seem for you.
are you staying away from fibre. the days you are going 7/8 times, did you eat a lot of fibre the day before?
ju

I am kinda confused... The 1st month 1/2 since my flair I was going to the washroom a lot and I was NOT bleeding... Since being on Prednisolone for the 1 1/2 month i been bleeding...

what can it be? COuld it just be Hemorrhoids ?
Ive never heard of pred causing bleeding.
A flare normally starts of with an increase in mucous and the lining becomes inflamed and then sore patches appear(ulcers) and then they can bleed if left untreated. so its sound like normal progression of a flare to me.

ju

Everything went fine... My UC, is foot long right by my butt hole...
He said that is the hardest to treat but if I had to have UC it is the best type to get..

is that true?

That's what I had...and also what I was told: hardest to treat.

Glad everything went well and that nothing more was found other that UC. :thumright:

Everything went fine... My UC, is foot long right by my butt hole...
He said that is the hardest to treat but if I had to have UC it is the best type to get..

is that true?
what a crazy thing to say. cant say any type of UC is good to have.
anyway yes I agree proctosigmoiditis is the hardest to treat but im sure your GI will have plenty of options for you. steroid suppositories will work fast as will mesalamine enemas.

Treatment for proctosigmoiditis and left-sided colitis

Proctosigmoiditis and left-sided colitis involves the lower colon, from the rectum up the left side of the patient.

Initially a 4 g Mesalazine enema (Rowasa) is given nightly.
If response is seen, the enemas can be tapered to every third night.
If no response, a morning Mesalazine, or hydrocortisone enema (Cortenema) can be given.
If still no response, oral anti-inflammatory drugs, with or without enemas, can be given, such as sulfasalazine, Mesalazine (Asacol, Pentasa), olsalazine (Dipentum), or balsalazide (Colazal).
If still no response, dose should be increased to maximum: sulfasalazine maxes at 4-6 g/day, Mesalazine maxes at 4.8 g/day, and olsalazine at 3 g/day. They are usually divided tid or bid.

Oral anti-inflammatory drugs require four to six weeks to work.

Once remission is induced maintenance levels can be used: sulfasalazine 2 g/day, mesalamine 1.2-2.4 g/day, or olsalazine 1 g/day. Patients on high dose sulfasalazine require folic supplementation (1 mg/day) because it inhibits folate absorption.

If oral Mesalazine is still not working, prednisone is often given, starting at 40–60 mg/day. Prednisone often takes effect within 10–14 days. The dose should then be tapered by about 5 mg/week until it can be stopped altogether.

GOOD TO HEAR that nothing more sinister is going on.
all the best.
ju

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I have Ulcerative Proctitis along with Ulcerative Colitis. It's tricky to treat and have especially with me being a female. There are things that I have to keep a watch for and have been told that if I have any symptoms to get myself into Urgency asap. Not sure if it's the same with you males. But, for me having my inflammation in the rectal area is a literal pain in the rear (if you know what I mean). I sure do hope it's a little easier on you guys though...Xxxxx

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
It was explained that with us where everything is located, we could get problems vaginally on top of rectally.

Honestly, IBD isn't the easiest on anyone no matter which gender though.

It was explained that with us where everything is located, we could get problems vaginally on top of rectally.

Honestly, IBD isn't the easiest on anyone no matter which gender though.
are you referring to rectal/vaginal fistulas etc. thankfully they are not related to UC. thankfully:mario2:
ju

My Ob/Gyn mentioned a higher risk of vaginal yeast infections with diarrhea, but that is the only connection I know of with UC and more problems for women. Like ju said, fistulas aren't related to UC, so thank goodness!!!!!

Ulcerative proctitis is ulcerative colitis. With Crohn's disease you run the risk of rectovaginal fistulas. Is that what you are thinking of?

I was going to say, between the legs shaving, the periods and the carry-a-foreign-entity-for-9-months deal, you ladies have it hard enough already, it'd be terrible form for the universe to make IBD worse for women on top of everything. ;)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
That's what I thought, that Ulcerative Proctitis and Ulcerative Colitis were the same. Seemed like the only real difference was that the one was mostly in the colon while the other was rectal. I think I've got a few more questions for the GI when I go on the 11th...

Try another medication and probably another doctor. If the medication works for you, you would feel positive changes pretty soon. If you don't - just forget about it and try something else. This disease is all about trying things until you find something that works for you.