• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Effects of New Dosage of Remicade

Hi everyone, I'm Laura!
So I have recently changed from 5 mg/kg to 7.5 mg/kg of Remicade every 8 weeks. This Friday will be the end of week 7. I've noticed that this new dosage helped with the following for a longer time period: not developing any fevers, keeping a good appetite, keeping a stable weight, and not fatigue. However, what stayed the same was that during the 6th week, I began having to using the bathroom (urgently, about 5 times a day) and stools are more loose again. I feel like I'm in a stable condition, other than the fact that I use the bathroom more after the 6 week marking period.
I was wondering, do you guys think that I should tell my doctor if I could change the dosage/frequency, or just stick to this and go through 2 weeks of frequent bathroom visits? I don't really want to up the dosage or get it more frequently because of the risks of Remicade. Just an opinion I would like to know from you all.
Thanks!

I would definitely let the GI know about your symptoms returning before the next dose. He may want to check levels to see if you have any remicade left in your system at that time.

I know the risks of remicade sound scary but if inflammation is left to simmer then permanent damage can occur (with or without symptoms present). It's important to get the disease under control and clinical, endoscopic, histologic remission with full mucosalist healing is what you should aim for as this lessens the risk of permanent damage and stricturing as well as lessening your surgery risk.

I would let your GI know. If you are really hesitant to increase you timing maybe you could try anti diarrheal meds (with you GIs permission) of course.

I talked to my doctor's nurse on the phone, and she told me to get the 7.5 mg/kg of Remicade this upcoming Monday.
Still kind of confused though. I guess I'm getting it early again this time around.

Hi! I responded well to Remi and then that started to happen to me too. They ended up doubling from 5 to 10 the next infusion and it helped. They said that typically that time range you are in by doubling it will 'catch' most people. It was a big 'hangover' type with the doubling so fast but it worked. good luck!

Hi! I responded well to Remi and then that started to happen to me too. They ended up doubling from 5 to 10 the next infusion and it helped. They said that typically that time range you are in by doubling it will 'catch' most people. It was a big 'hangover' type with the doubling so fast but it worked. good luck!
What do you mean by hangover?

By "hangover" I meant like the after effects of the infusion ...of being tired, having chills, and being nauseous ...just slightly icky.