• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight gain Support Group

This is why groups like this are so important. Comparing and learning from personal successes and failures helps to get answers to many of our frustrating health issues. The insights learned here along with our own personal experience are so helpful. We have to remember that even a "team of experts" do not always know the answers.
Unfortunately this forum hasn't been able to help me any more than the experts. :(

I visited my dr. yesterday; I have lost more weight. He agreed that mercaptopurine was upsetting my stomach so I stopped it and my stomach pain is less. He also said that IBD/crohns WILL prevent the digestive system from absorbing nutrients from food. And a brochure in his office stated: "Weight loss--your intestines aren't able to take in nutrients from food, and your symptoms may cause you to lose your appetite." That's me. Also he said this disease causes one to be tired all the time, which is also me. I hope to start Remicade in 2 weeks and I pray it will truly help me as I am having a very difficult time with this "challenge." I look anorexic but I eat at least 1000 calories a day....boring calories but healthy ones. I also am buying Peptamen on line. Has anyone used it?

1000 calories a day isn't enough. The average woman needs 2000 calories a day. Your weight loss may well not have anything to do with malabsorption, you're just not taking enough in from lack of appetite (I know how hard that can be). When I was in hospital I was eating 3000 a day and not gaining much - that got my doctors concerned about malabsorption.

thanks UnXmas. I know 1000 calories is not enough but I am full after I eat and I have not been hungry for months. I also think 1000 calories is more than an anorexic eats. I am of very slight build. Since I quit the mercaptopurine I have had 2 times of hunger. And then I had oral surgery last week which means I can eat only soft foods for 3 weeks during which I expect to lose....I made a veggie soup with lots of starch veggies and Udo's oil and I put coconut fat in my almond milk....I am hoping the Remicade and healing from the oral surgery will allow me to start gaining weight. All sorts of things go haywire with me when I am losing weight. So I am trying harder to eat more. I wonder about refugee camps and how those people survive.....

I don't think there is a typical amount someone with anorexia eats is there? But it definetly sounds like your primary issue is with taking enough calories in rather than them going straight through you unabsorbed.

As for refugee camps.... as I said in a couple of posts on this thread, my weight is incredibly low, lower than many people with anorexia I would imagine. And yet I survived emergency surgery at this weight. But in famines many people do of course die, or have severe health problems.

Were you given any dietary advice following your surgery beyond being told soft food only? Have you tried Ensure or other liquid food supplements? They also do powder supplements that you can mix into soups and things.

UnXmas, I just imagine anorexias eat very little. Right now I am eating a BIG bowl of starch veggie soup. I had 5 eggs for breakfast. After the oral surgery, the instructions said no dairy, which I don't do anyway. Ensure bothers me. Peptamen is a liquid food supplement, on back order for me. I also use powdered rice protein and powdered VEGA, but neither have many calories. The food world is so concerned about those who are dieting to lose weight we who want to gain are quite limited in choice. Yes, refugees camps from war are not famines. I don't know what the mortality rate is....

Why no dairy after oral surgery?

I realise refugee camps aren't famines, but in any kind of food shortage it seems some survive. Though in our society, when you hear overweight people saying they hardly eat anything and they still just don't lose weight, the fact that you don't find any overweight people in famine situations shows they can't be right when they say they don't eat much - everyone loses weight when they don't eat too much.

I'm not sure it's true that high calorie options are hard to find in our society - there's plenty of junk food around, that's a big reason why so many are overweight! It is very isolating for those of us who are underweight though, as all the messages conveyed by the media and diet industries assume everyone is either overweight or struggling not to become overweight.

But there are prescribed supplements available to help with weight gain, and there are foods and drinks high in calories, and not just "junk". Nuts (smooth peanut butter if nuts are too high to digest), seeds, olive oil, cheese, butter, milk (obviously these last ones are only if you can have dairy)- these are all high calorie foods that you can easily add into most meals. And a moderate amount of junk is going to be healthier than remaining very underweight, and easy to come by despite how many people are trying to lose weight.

Soup doesn't sound like the kind of food that would help raise your calorie intake. Low calorie foods can of course be included in a diet that's enabling weight gain, but if your calorie intake really is 1000 a day at the moment, I would think you need to prioritise increasing that when deciding what to eat. And that many eggs is not something many people with appetite problems would consider having. Does it not make you very full to eat that much?

Last edited:
Hi, guys.

I was referred here by UnXmas, so thanks!!

I've skimmed through all the comments. I've gotten to about 83/85ish pounds at my lowest. I'm currently hovering around 88. Blehhh. I'm not happy ANYONE is going through this, but it's nice people understand.I always get the comments about "I'll give you some of my weight" or just plain rude comments. I, too, have cried after people make comments.

I am nauseous a lot and I also just lack an appetite. I get full really fast. Lately, I've done research I've been trying to eat full fat yogurt and whole milk ( I haven't noticed an issue with Dairy thus far). I heard adding coconut oil and butter to everything helps. And peanut butter. I guess I just don't really know what I shouldn't be eating. The only thing I know for sure I can't handle is spicy food. And obviously corn and nuts. Everyone says nuts are good but I don't like them, plus they're like a huge no-no, right?

I also invested in this vanilla weight gain powder. It's disgusting. It doesn't blend. I also got Boost but I don't know. It just doesn't seem to help and it's so expensive to keep up with. I saw a Nutritionist last week. It was a total waste of time. I was told to eat more. K.Thanks.

I'm just getting to this point where I want so badly to gain weight, to look and feel healthy, but I'm exhausted. I'm tired of trying and seeing no changes. I've kind of given up on it mentally but I can't.

It is such a mentally exhausting thing to deal with, especially when other people make unhelpful comments. JustThatGirl, how are you with making your own shakes (without the powder)? If you can handle them, try making some with healthy fats and protein, like avocados, nut butters, and the yogurt. I know you get full easily, but it's worth to try drinking some of your calories for the time being (not a long term plan).

I bought a scale yesterday, and now I weigh 122 lbs. It's a start! I am just worried because I just had a colonoscopy, and now I am eating simple foods to calm down my stomach. It's been difficult to get that weight back, so I hope I don't lose any of it.

I saw a Nutritionist last week. It was a total waste of time. I was told to eat more. K.Thanks.
That's what the last dietician I saw said. :rolleyes:

Nuts cause symptoms for a lot of people because they're high fibre and difficult to digest. If you have problems with fibre generally, you'll probably have problems with nuts and seeds. Smooth nut butters are ok though.

I don't think protein powders, etc. do much more than drinking milk would do for you if you just want liquid calories.

I just started counting calories using "Live Strong Calorie Counter" app. It's hard to depend on my memory. I need 2,500 calories to gain a pound per week. A high speed blender is your friend when your GI track is not doing well. I drink a smoothie every day and just by adding 2 TBLPS. of coconut oil is 240 calories - now I have to add the rest of the ingredient calories (banana, hemp powder, cocoa powder, fresh ginger, a few ounces of juice with water. And then I hope I am absorbing it all? Now onto the rest of the calories.

Last edited:
Hi JustThatGirl
Welcome to the group.
I find it hard to eat anything when I am nauseous, yet alone put on weight. Do you know what is causing the nausea? Can you do anything to be less nauseous? Have you talked to a doctor about it? There are so many anti nausea medicines out there. It could be a good short term solution.
I understand the exhaustion and frustration. Please don't give up! Slowly but surely, small steps in the right direction, don't expect miracles (well I do but I havent had one yet).

I am just worried because I just had a colonoscopy, and now I am eating simple foods to calm down my stomach. It's been difficult to get that weight back, so I hope I don't lose any of it.
Hi Basmah
I had a colonoscopy 10 days ago. I feel like my guts are worse than they were before the colonoscopy, I mean in terms of a flare rather than the discomfort from the procedure.

That means I have not been eating well or enough since then. It is really frustrating. (I am also on holiday with my family and I haven't been able to do most of the things I would like to do). I hope that the lack of food will help calm things down but it is hardly a good long term plan.

Plus the doc saw very mild inflammation but I imagine it is already worse than that now, would he believe me? I remember I had the same problem after the last colonoscopy.

Anyway, I hope you have more luck than me!

hawkeye

Staff member
I found the calorie counter helped when I was working to gain weight last year after surgery. It helped me stay away from too much fat and manage the fibre level as I was on a low fibre diet after surgery for 8 weeks.

My surgeon was big on getting enough protein I was drinking protein shakes before and after surgrey (I know this may be a specific case, but it may help). The only draw back was that they contained carrageenan, which some studies have shown to promote inflammation.

Smoothies with ice cream may help if you can tolerate dairy, that was one of my treats in the weeks after surgery.

Hi JustThatGirl
Welcome to the group.
I find it hard to eat anything when I am nauseous, yet alone put on weight. Do you know what is causing the nausea? Can you do anything to be less nauseous? Have you talked to a doctor about it? There are so many anti nausea medicines out there. It could be a good short term solution.
I understand the exhaustion and frustration. Please don't give up! Slowly but surely, small steps in the right direction, don't expect miracles (well I do but I havent had one yet).

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP this week to get something for nausea. I really don't know what's causing it. It typically isn't too intense, to be honest. It's just slightly there, but between that and not having an appetite, I have to force myself to even eat. Somedays I do better than others. I think a big portion for me is mind over matter. I just never realized how hard it is to eat with no appetite. I try to eat things I used to love, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. Or like I've mentioned, if I do feel hungry, I'll take a few bites and feel full and lose any appetite I had.

It is such a mentally exhausting thing to deal with, especially when other people make unhelpful comments. JustThatGirl, how are you with making your own shakes (without the powder)? If you can handle them, try making some with healthy fats and protein, like avocados, nut butters, and the yogurt. I know you get full easily, but it's worth to try drinking some of your calories for the time being (not a long term plan).

I bought a scale yesterday, and now I weigh 122 lbs. It's a start! I am just worried because I just had a colonoscopy, and now I am eating simple foods to calm down my stomach. It's been difficult to get that weight back, so I hope I don't lose any of it.

In the morning, I do the Carnation Chocolate Breakfast mix with whole milk. At night, I usually srink a Vanilla Boost *Plus*. I'm not very fond of the vanilla but that was my only option of the plus that came in bulk. It's cheaper that way. Next time, I'm getting the Equate version because their plus that comes in bulk is available in chocolate.

I try to make smoothies with this vanilla powder for weight gain. It's called Natures Best. I usually do banana, 3 scoops powder, peanut or cookie butter and milk. I just really don't like smoothies so far. I don't think I have them cold enough for one and I've been told straws are the only way to go. I'm going to invest in some straws and suck it up... literally ;) ha

I'm hoping it's an acquired taste. I used to hate yogurt but after a couple of years of experimenting and pushing on, I'm a fan!

Who else is experiencing body image issues? I find it REALLY hard to connect with anyone on this. I know a lot of people have body image issues but in our culture, it's usually they feel overweight. It's like people ridicule me for being so skinny but if I express how I hate it, I'm brushed off like it's no big deal.

I have never been big or even super curvy. I used to weigh about 105 but I looked healthy and had some curves. I threw all my old jeans out because where I used to fill them out in the butt, hips, and thighs, they just sag now. An old manager "jokingly" told me I lost my butt and I know it's stupid but every time I hear stuff like that I want to crawl in a hole. I hate being 25 and having the body of a 12 year old. I mean, I HATE it.

Who else is experiencing body image issues? I find it REALLY hard to connect with anyone on this. I know a lot of people have body image issues but in our culture, it's usually they feel overweight. It's like people ridicule me for being so skinny but if I express how I hate it, I'm brushed off like it's no big deal.

I have never been big or even super curvy. I used to weigh about 105 but I looked healthy and had some curves. I threw all my old jeans out because where I used to fill them out in the butt, hips, and thighs, they just sag now. An old manager "jokingly" told me I lost my butt and I know it's stupid but every time I hear stuff like that I want to crawl in a hole. I hate being 25 and having the body of a 12 year old. I mean, I HATE it.
Thats a tough one. You will have to learn to accept how your body is, even if it not how you want it to look. I think that is true for almost everyone.

I also hated being really really thin (no butt no nothing) and I did get self conscious about it.

But in general I don't really care how I look. I do have alot of self confidence in that I don't really care what people think about me and I am happy with myself within reason. Who wouldnt want to change a thing or two about themselves?

I think that has always been my attitude. Why beat yourself up over yourself, life can be tough enough anyway.

Honestly, I can't say it bothers me. Except the assumption strangers make that I'm anorexic. With people I know, who know I'm not anorexic, I don't care, and I don't mind looking like this.

I understand on one level though. When prednisone made me grow a bit of facial hair, I hated it. People just have different things that ruin their self-image, I think.

JustThatGirl, I am with you on that one. I have been told that I looked anorexic, and that I have a body of a 12 year old boy. For a while it didn't bother me, but lately it's been pissing me off because I am trying to hard to be healthy and finally taking control of my Crohn's. It's working so well, yet people don't understand it. It came to a point where when I was working, I went into an office by myself, and just bursted into tears.

Also, it made me realize that some people just have no tact (even when they say things with the best of intentions) - I mean why is it okay to tell someone how skinny they are, and not someone else how fat they are? I woud personally never tell someone they'e fat because (1) Chances are they know that, (2)I honestly don't know what they're going through, and (3) I am not going to actively do anything to help them - unless if they want me to. The best thing you can do is say, "I appreciate your concern, and I am doing my best to take care of it. If I want any advice, I will ask for it." and then move on.

That's true. I know I do need to work on self confidence and accepting my body image no matter how it is. It's just hard for me, to be honest.

Has anyone been on antidepressants for an appetite stimulant? My GP gave me Remeron to increase my appetite and for anxiety. It did seem to make me hungry but made my legs so restless I couldn't sleep. So I quit taking it.

I have to be strong and energetic enough for the kids that I work with, but they have not fired me at my worst. Job hunting is hard enough without all the medical bills you have to go through. I hope you find something better soon!

It was the main reason they gave but there were others. I look weak and frail. I guess some regular customers commented on it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh, and how tall are you, and what is your job? If I was well enough to be working (which I'm not, but my weight is not the reason for that) I think I'd understand that my weight would make me unemployable for many jobs, because it's not possible for anyone to weigh as little as I do and be able to do anything involving physical activity. (Not just very strenuous activity, but even just being on my feet a lot.)

But I'm an extreme case an I doubt that you're as underweight as I am. Are they firing you because of your image rather than because they think it's not safe for you to work due to your weight? Even if they do have safety concerns, surely they should at least have discussed it with you first? Surely the right thing to do would be to ask you to provide a letter from your doctor confirming your ability to work? Or at least asked you to take some time off with the promise that you'll have your job back if/when your health improves? There just seem to be so many better ways of handling things. I'm very sorry. But at least you'll no longer be working for such heartless people.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh, and how tall are you, and what is your job? If I was well enough to be working (which I'm not, but my weight is not the reason for that) I think I'd understand that my weight would make me unemployable for many jobs, because it's not possible for anyone to weigh as little as I do and be able to do anything involving physical activity. (Not just very strenuous activity, but even just being on my feet a lot.)

But I'm an extreme case an I doubt that you're as underweight as I am. Are they firing you because of your image rather than because they think it's not safe for you to work due to your weight? Even if they do have safety concerns, surely they should at least have discussed it with you first? Surely the right thing to do would be to ask you to provide a letter from your doctor confirming your ability to work? Or at least asked you to take some time off with the promise that you'll have your job back if/when your health improves? There just seem to be so many better ways of handling things. I'm very sorry. But at least you'll no longer be working for such heartless people.
I am 5'8 and about 115. I work an embroidery shop and there are boxes, but I have always lifted them and still do. I was about 20 lbs heavier when I started working there.

I have Drs notes staying that I can work. He may not want me to work but he still writes my notes. I think the worst part is they were supposed to be my friends. They always talked about how we were family-friendly this is not how family treats each other.

On a different note, I am eating everything in sight(that I am allowed to) and am back to losing more weight. I am down to 110 in less than 3 days.

That's true. I know I do need to work on self confidence and accepting my body image no matter how it is. It's just hard for me, to be honest.
Did you see the doc about anti-nausea meds or something else to stimulate appetite?

I was just thinking, it's just my opinion, it would be great if you can be happy with the way you are, because that would make you a good role model for your daughter to be self confindant too.

cantthinkstr8t

That is terrible for you, I am so sorry.
Does that put you under alot of pressure financially now?
I am hoping that if you do not have to go to work then you can concentrate more on relaxing and feeling better.

I think I might have to weigh myself to see how much I have lost since the colonoscopy. I have a nasty feeling it has knocked more that 2 kgs off. That was 6 months work......

I have stopped going near the scales for the moment - thankfully I don't own a set so thats pretty easy :p

My jeans are a little roomier than they were, but I'm not going to stress about it right now.
I feel more robust, and I'm up to 140g of protein a day, as well as whatever I eat which consists of alot of cottage cheese (low fat), fat free greek yoghurt with honey and cinnamon (massive amts of protein in the yoghurt) and tomato & fennel bread.

I had hoped to be nearer 50kgs at this point(53 is my real target), but looks like 46kgs is sticking to me right now.

My gut instinct says I haven't been on the protein drinks long enough for my body to start building reserves of any kind, so slow and steady is all I can do.

My gut instinct says I haven't been on the protein drinks long enough for my body to start building reserves of any kind, so slow and steady is all I can do.
Slow and steady should be easier to maintain.

I feel more robust, and I'm up to 140g of protein a day, as well as whatever I eat which consists of alot of cottage cheese (low fat), fat free greek yoghurt with honey and cinnamon (massive amts of protein in the yoghurt) and tomato & fennel bread.
Wouldn't it help more to eat full fat yoghurt and a high fat cheese? I'm not criticising, I'm genuinely asking. When I choose lower fat versions of foods it's because the higher fat ones are too rich and fill me up too much, but if I ate too many low calorie foods the amount of food I'd need to eat would be too filling. Do you eat fat free yoghurt for a different reason?

I find there's much more difference in satiety levels between high fat and low fat than there is between high sugar and low sugar. E.g. I find high fat milkshake much more filling than a low fat one, but I don't notice a difference between Diet Coke and ordinary, full sugar Coke. (Btw, there was an article linked to in another thread on this forum which claimed diet fizzy drinks make people gain weight. I know I've managed to lose weight well enough while drinking diet drinks. I much prefer the taste of Diet Coke, but I switched to drinking full sugar Coke because the Diet certainly wasn't helping me gain!)

@UnXmas - its a fair question.one of my main problems is malabsorption due to intestinal lymphoedema. I also have lymphoedema externally too.

Lymphoedema itself is due to defective or absent lymphatic vessels under the skin. As the system is a transport system, one of the things it transports is long chain fat which is broken down. High/normal fat foods generally contain large amts of long chain fats.

So I have to eat low fat foods to reduce the need for my broken lymphatic system to be involved - short and medium chain fats are not transported by lymphatics.

If I eat normal fat foods, the lymphatics in my intestines swell, thereby reducing transport and absorption abilities further. Its a game I won't win, so I have to be picky.

I've been on this lowfat/high protein diet since I was 4 years old so its normal. My brain has been programmed to disregard foods I know are high fat. You also get used to being slightly hungry all the time :p

Thanks for explaining, kikig. It's certainly a good reason for avoiding fat and I imagine it must make gaining weight very difficult. Has it always caused you weight problems? Is that why you're underweight now, or is it because of IBD? Sorry for all the personal questions, feel free not to answer if you don't want to, I'm just interested as I've not heard of lymphoedema before.

Thanks for explaining, kikig. It's certainly a good reason for avoiding fat and I imagine it must make gaining weight very difficult. Has it always caused you weight problems? Is that why you're underweight now, or is it because of IBD? Sorry for all the personal questions, feel free not to answer if you don't want to, I'm just interested as I've not heard of lymphoedema before.
Pretty much always caused issues, only I didn't realise it as a child really. I was always smaller and skinner than everyone else. Then again, no one really noticed as I had more noticeable lymphoedema.

I am underweight now due to IBD - symtoms had been on an even keel for quite a while that I didn't notice things slipping. I basically had a year of diarrhea & bloating - during which my general doctor refused to refer me to a GI. Eventually all hell broke loose and I found myself a proper GI.

Lymphoedema has been hitting the headlines recently on your side of the water as Kathy Bates has been doing alot of promo for it, to raise awareness. Her lymphodema is as after effect of breast cancer I believe - there are two forms generally - primary and secondary. Hers is secondary, mine is primary. I've always had it, and I found treatment on my own initiative, which is a life long thing I have to do. But it means that my hands are primarily the only obvious sign remaining.
Its everywhere really, so its a constant watch to keep it all manageable. Then IBD on top - I am a lucky girl :ylol2:

The lymphoedema was prob caused by my underlying IBD, and my severe immune issues also are a symptom of IBD.

I bought the wrong flavour protein drink at the weekend, so now I am stuck with 2kgs of strawberry flavoured protein. Strawberry flavour my butt, this is why I no longer eat the actual fruit :ycool:

Last edited:
I've cut almost all carbs except milk and I'm drinking POM + coconut juice with water.
I'm trying to transition into a fat-based diet with some protein.

I've been reading about MAP and AIEC and they say nitrates from a high protein diet are bad for it, I'm trying to find the thread I read it in. Your body produces certain things that help eliminate cytokines, it's boosted by vitamin D, so Vit D is really good, I've been supplementing it and getting more sunlight.

I also read fasting helps. I'm wondering if it needs to be a full on fast or drawn out calorie restriction works, because I'm considering an IF diet where you eat all your calories within a 6 hour window and the rest of the day is a full fast, but if I could get a similar result with just restricted calorie intake, say 20-80% or so it would be easier.

I've been drinking hot milk with coconut oil for the lauric acid and vit D, then having lots of cheeses with my meats. Experimenting with vegetables, mushrooms and kayle are safe so far.

Weight hasn't budged but my BMs are consistently solid, energy levels are up, no discomfort, feeling unreasonably cold or shaky or anxious.

I'm taking lauric acid, cat's claw and a multi.

Despite my progress I had to cut honey and I had a small amount of sugar in my coffee last friday that caused an urgent bathroom trip. Simple sugars have never triggered me like they do right now.

My skin manifestations seem to be reducing. I still break out on my back and neck, I'm not sure if it's related but I've been treating it with a concoction of topical treatments including tea tree oil, head & shoulder's, aloe gel, Hibiclens, and coocnut oil in case it's surface manifestations of map bacteria.

Here it is http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52151

Last edited:
Fasting is counterproductive if you're trying to gain weight.
Not if it combats the underlying cause of weight loss - inflammation caused by harmful bacterial overgrowth.

Also Intermittent Fasting is neither pro nor counter productive, it only matters how many calories you consume during your window of intake.

Mainly the purpose of fasting is to let your body rest and get rid of bad toxins in the body. It's like how Muslims during Ramadan in the summertime generally feel rejuvenated because all of the sugar and processed stuff is all out of their system, but they continue to eat meat, rice, and other whole foods when they aren't fasting. People may lose or maintain weight depending on their carb and protein intake, but the majority of them gain their weight back once the month is over.

Ramadan in the winter time is a completely different story lol. People definitely gain weight, period.

I just want to share a little bit of my experience. I am still on the same restrictions, except that I have added in zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, and today some avocado without any problems. I also ate sweet potato once, but I consider it to be a treat.

Anyway, I was at 118 for months because I was detoxing that whole time. I have been gaining weight the last month, and now I weigh about 124. My bms are more solid and consistent, and I am hoping that with my training for Team Challenge that most of the weight I gain will turn into muscle.

Not if it combats the underlying cause of weight loss - inflammation caused by harmful bacterial overgrowth.

Also Intermittent Fasting is neither pro nor counter productive, it only matters how many calories you consume during your window of intake.
Intermittent fasting would make it harder to gain as you'd have to eat a lot more during the times you eat. If someone has trouble eating enough already, then they're not going to be able to eat extra. If you can eat a lot extra, then you wouldn't be having any trouble gaining weight.

And I'm not sure I understand how fasting cures inflammation/bacteria overgrowth. Do you have links to papers/studies/whatever that show how that works? I'm genuinely asking - not saying you're wrong. When my doctors thought I had SIBO they gave me a load of antibiotics, and would never have dreamed of suggesting I fast. My surgeons had me on bowel rest while my intestine healed from surgery - is that the kind of thing you mean? (I had TPN during that time.) Also how do you know the underlying cause of your weight loss?

Last edited:
I've reached a milestone: I've worked out that I've put on a stone (6kg or 14lbs) since my hospital admission at the start of last Summer. And during that time my intestine perforated, which for obvious reasons stalled things a bit, though eating has been a lot easier since the surgery that fixed the perforation, as the surgeon removed the bad bit of my small intestine, and I got a new stoma which doesn't block like my previous stomas, so I no longer have dietary restrictions because of that.

Only another three stones or something more to gain and I'd be a normal weight.

Last edited:
Intermittent fasting would make it harder to gain as you'd have to eat a lot more during the times you eat. If someone has trouble eating enough already, then they're not going to be able to eat extra. If you can eat a lot extra, then you wouldn't be having any trouble gaining weight.

And I'm not sure I understand how fasting cures inflammation/bacteria overgrowth. Do you have links to papers/studies/whatever that show how that works? I'm genuinely asking - not saying you're wrong. When my doctors thought I had SIBO they gave me a load of antibiotics, and would never have dreamed of suggesting I fast. My surgeons had me on bowel rest while my intestine healed from surgery - is that the kind of thing you mean? (I had TPN during that time.) Also how do you know the underlying cause of your weight loss?
I can link you some threads but you can find all I've found searching MAP bacteria and AIEC on this forum and reading the first 2 pages of results.

If you have trouble with appetite / gaining weight, I'm of the opinion that your diet is not Crohn's friendly and you're going to suffer until it is.

I'm also of the belief that you can enter remission through controlled diet. I'm not saying cure it, but be 100% symptom free without medications.

Source:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2877178/

Now the problem is, if you're not eating a Crohn's safe diet, and you're not a-symptomatic, many of the therapeutic foods you need to be eating you won't be able to tolerate.

It's important to draw a line between trigger foods - ones that make Crohn's worse as a product of their chemistry - and sensitivities - foods that your unhealthy digestive system cannot handle in their current state.

A trigger food would be wheat, a sensitivity would be like fiber, or fat, as high-fat diets are preferable for Crohn's but many struggle with high fat. This is because their digestion isn't working properly due to inflammation and possibly dysbiosis.

The first thing they'll need to do is go on an ultra clean diet until they can reach remission. This may include fasting. For me chicken eggs and dairy let me reach this, it's hard to say what will work for everyone but generally:

-Low to no carb. No simple sugars at all.
-Limit fiber
-Limit greasy foods. If eggs are safe, boil or poach them rather than frying

If you're BARELY eating but you feel completely asymptomatic, this is still preferable to eating 2000 calories and being sick, continue this for 1-2 weeks and begin to incorporate more fat in the form of butter, coconut and extra-virgin olive oil.

I'm digressing a bit on the diet part, I'll give more details on what makes a good CD diet and why if you want, but I'll explain the causality which leads us to the why.

We have a LOT of evidence to suggest Crohn's symptoms are caused by two bacteria. MAP and AIEC.

I may have misunderstood the exact process but this is roughly how it works: Crohn's is a faulty function of our immune system that allows these bacteria to enter our macrophages (the immune cells that normally consume and kill bacteria) and live there while sending out messages requesting a TNF response, so they stimulate an overactive immune response. A weak immune system leading to an overactive response, this summarizes the symptoms to a T.

In order to kill the bacteria very special anti-biotics are required, three of them or more at the same time. Each serves a different purpose.
http://www.redhillbio.com/RHB-104

MAP is a slow-dividing bacteria and most antibiotics attack the bacteria during cell division. Because of this, special antibiotics that can penetrate the protective layer of the cell outside of division are necessary.

It's believed that lauric acid found in coconut oil can dissolve the lipid barrier protecting the bacteria allowing us to naturally combat it.

Consuming large amounts of sugars can quickly breed these harmful bacteria allowing their populations to expand.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=44806

So an ideal Crohn's diet starves the bacteria of food while enabling our body to kill it.

That's where this post comes in, but the user didn't post much citation.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52151

The idea is to promote peptides which help fight the bacteria, and to induce autophagy via fasting

User wildbill_52280 posted this:
its not just map thats a problem,there may be a few bacteria that can survive within a cell and persist due to autophagy defects in genes, or even without defects.

stimulating autophagy may eliminate them, i have used resveratrol to do this and i believe it was successfull. did not cause a remission tho.

Fasting or caloric restriction is your best bet for getting a remission, it also stimulates the process of autophagy. autophagy is the process which the body uses to get rid of intracellular pathogens. but this isnt how a Caloric restriction would cause a remission, caloric restriction dramatically lowers inflammation too, and its this that may cause a remission because the inflammation which produces nitrate as a byproduct is what allows the raise in enerobacteria in crohns, as this physiological change fertilizes their growth. by dramatically lowering inflammation, these bacteria will disappear. http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-0...-bacteria.html

Instant coffee, thanks for the info! I agree with you on almost everything, but disagree on your description of a perfect Crohn's diet. I don't agree with eliminating carbs at all. I know everyone is different, and I certainly don't support eating bleached white flour, but I believe that carbohydrates are and always will be the primary energy source for the human body. Grains like, rice, oats, amaranth, rye, barley, (processed to have little fiber, but not bleached) are easy to digest and packed with energy for your brain and muscles! I also believe that it is important to eliminate meat, beans well cooked or pureed are a much better source of protein, easier to digest, and free from the bacteria that meat has. To gain weight, eating fat is the best way! It's a simple equation, fat has 9 calories per gram, compared to only 4 for a gram of carbohydrate or protein, the body is also very good at converting fat we eat into fat for storage. I just suggest getting fat from plant sources mostly, such as olives, avocados, coconuts, nuts, and fatty seeds. Fasting is good for so many things, I'm considering it to try to reach remission. But as far as gaining weight, I'd say fasting isn't going to help much. I find I actually gain weight when I work out because I balance out my system and build a lot of muscle, working out also increases your appetite.

Thanks for the info. But even if it's true (I haven't read the links you provided yet), I don't think I could apply it in reality. I have more things wrong with my digestive system than Crohn's, and at the weight I am, I don't know I'd have the energy reserves to fast or to follow a limited calorie diet for very long at all. Also, I've been on various excluion diets in the past and never felt better while on any of them. And shouldn't I have got better while on bowel rest? I healed from the surgery, but nothing else changed. I went a week or so on just TPN and water, then another week eating very little, and I definitely lost weight, (and I've fasted at other times for various reasons with the same results) so it still seems completely obvious to me that fasting and restricting calories conflicts with weight gain. If fasting for a day or two resulted in a significantly improved digestive system that meant it was much easier to gain weight from then on, then it would be worth fasting, but it doesn't.

If you have trouble with appetite / gaining weight, I'm of the opinion that your diet is not Crohn's friendly and you're going to suffer until it is.
I have gastroparesis which means I have no appetite regardless of other symptoms, and since there's a gastroparesis support group on this forum, it could be quite common amoung those with Crohn's. Do you think that can be fixed with diet changes?

I'm sorry to nitpick, but if everyone could get their Crohn's under control with diet, we'd all be doing it. It kind of defeats the purpose of a weight gain support group to talk about fasting. It would be dangerous for those of us who are very underweight.

Last edited:
I had a quick look at your first link. The diet used there seems different to what you advise as it includes grains and a lot of fibre? Or maybe I've just misunderstood, but either way, fasting is not a good idea if you're underweight. Maybe you could start a new thread about it?

Thanks for the info. But even if it's true (I haven't read the links you provided yet), I don't think I could apply it in reality. I have more things wrong with my digestive system than Crohn's, and at the weight I am, I don't know I'd have the energy reserves to fast or to follow a limited calorie diet for very long at all. Also, I've been on various excluion diets in the past and never felt better while on any of them. And shouldn't I have got better while on bowel rest? I healed from the surgery, but nothing else changed. I went a week or so on just TPN and water, then another week eating very little, and I definitely lost weight, (and I've fasted at other times for various reasons with the same results) so it still seems completely obvious to me that fasting and restricting calories conflicts with weight gain. If fasting for a day or two resulted in a significantly improved digestive system that meant it was much easier to gain weight from then on, then it would be worth fasting, but it doesn't.

I have gastroparesis which means I have no appetite regardless of other symptoms, and since there's a gastroparesis support group on this forum, it could be quite common amoung those with Crohn's. Do you think that can be fixed with diet changes?

I'm sorry to nitpick, but if everyone could get their Crohn's under control with diet, we'd all be doing it. It kind of defeats the purpose of a weight gain support group to talk about fasting. It would be dangerous for those of us who arevery underweight.
I believe they told me I had gastroparesis. It was a misdiagnoses though. When I ate a trigger food my stomach wouldn't empty. It would just fill up until I vomited. This continued until I eliminated all trigger foods. My stomach was also so inflamed it almost blocked off my small intestines.

Have you vomited green fluid recently, or seen green cloudy stuff in your BMs?

This may be different in your case since you said it continued when on a limited diet.

I want to make it clear fasting isn't something i preach, it's something I just discovered and I'm curious about its effect on autophagy, not so much gut recovery.

Fasting isn't something I suggest as a long term therapy for weight gain, and it wouldn't be immediately effective. When I used it I was 99 lb.s at 6' tall though. I'm also not suggesting 100% calorie restriction. That's why I'm questioning the advice in the post. I'm also wondering about daily fasting, giving large periods of time each day for your gut to heal, but still providing it with food. At this point though I'm beyond needing it for that purpose, so it's not a huge concern to me.

I cut out anything but safe foods. All I had was chicken, eggs, and cheeses. I would eat breakfast and lunch, and no dinner or a light dinner of non-solid foods.

With what I know now, I'd suggest supplementing L-glutamine throughout for its healing properties and muscle mass preservation.

If you have other conditions as a result of long-term crohn's, or non crohn's related though it really makes advice directly targeted at crohn's less effective.

Are you open to trying supplements?

I had a quick look at your first link. The diet used there seems different to what you advise as it includes grains and a lot of fibre?
Because the diet they suggest only works once you've induced remission - you're healthy enough to digest those foods.

You'll need to actually get to remission first with an even cleaner, lighter diet. Fiber isn't easy on a compromised digestive system.

It took me weeks of super strict dieting to get there.

It took me months just to tolerate coconut oil again after my last flare.

It's really hard for me to suggest a diet because dairy was instrumental for me in getting to that point with enough calories and not overdoing meat.

Also understand the diet in the study was looking at places with low incidence of Crohn's and saying, "Hey, what do they eat that we can try." It doesn't seem to have the actual chemistry of the food in regards to Crohn's in mind.

That said the carbs are all balanced with high fiber which I understand helps combat their absorption by bad bacteria. It has no simple sugars. It still falls in line.

Last edited:
I've reached a milestone: I've worked out that I've put on a stone (6kg or 14lbs) since my hospital admission at the start of last Summer. And during that time my intestine perforated, which for obvious reasons stalled things a bit, though eating has been a lot easier since the surgery that fixed the perforation, as the surgeon removed the bad bit of my small intestine, and I got a new stoma which doesn't block like my previous stomas, so I no longer have dietary restrictions because of that.

Only another three stones or something more to gain and I'd be a normal weight.
I celebrated by having a Bounty Bar /

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_(chocolate_bar)

I've not had one for years, litteraly, because I couldn't risk coconut with my previous stomas. With my new stoma, I've been gradually trying more potentially blockage-causing foods, and decided it was time to try a Bounty Bar. No symptoms of blockage so far. And Bounty Bars are very high in calories, so very good for weight gain. :)

I've never had gastroparesis, except maybe after my surgery (oophorectomy/appendectomy) when I vomited a bucket of green liquid. My food makes it to my ileum and then gets stuck there. I assume the weight loss is due to the food sitting in the stomach acid for too long and then not being a viable source of nutrition. Is there any food that helps the stomach empty properly? I find when I really take the time to cook my meals, use the best ingredients, etc. my food passes through my system fine. I also find if I make my own pancakes for example, they give me substanable energy, because they're loaded with so much more usable calories/complex carbohydrates. I've been having trouble with granola bars, wich is unfortunate because I've practically lived on them for decades now, unless I make my own and use delicate ingredients.

Also, I don't mean to say everyone should give up meat. My kids and animals eat it, I give them the choice and they choose to eat it. But, for me, and all my digestive issues, avoiding meat helps me keep things under control. I feel like if there were more vegetarian food options and restaurants, I could gain weight on a vegetarian diet, but the way it is where I live, it's a real challenge to find vegetarian food. But to truly gain weight, meat might be the way to go because it is so high fat and calorie. For me, though, it causes too much irritation. I think in moderation, it is part of a healthy diet for most people.

Instantcoffee - sorry, I think I confused you, I wasn't asking for advice.

empressentrails - when I had a gastric emptying study (the test for gastroparesis) they told me that it's very rare for people to have stomach empying problems with liquids, it's usually just solids. So I'm not sure if there are foods which actually help the stomach empty, but different types of foods and liquids empty at different speeds. There's a medication, domperidone (brand name Motileum) that helps the stomach empty and treats nausea. It helped me a bit for a while but then stopped working for me. I actually never vomit. I just get incredibly full! And I have a lot of reflux.

There are some vegetarian foods that are high calorie: for one thing there are supplements like Ensure and Fortisip. Obviously they're not the same as an enjoyable meal at a restaurent, but as a supplement to the rest of your diet they could help. What about cheese (if you eat dairy?), olive oil, peanut butter? If you can tolerate nuts and seeds they're high calorie, but if granola is causing you problems, they will too. What about cakes and biscuits? (You can cook your own if that helps make them more suitable for you). I think it must be possible to gain weight without meat. I do eat meat but not much - I'll have things like chicken or fish a couple of times a week, but I'm gaining now, and have done in the past, without meat being a major component of my diet. I have a lot of dairy though, I think it would be hard to gain with no meat and no dairy, but if meat gives you problems I'm sure you'll manage without.

Last edited:
Dairy is usually ok for me in moderarion. I do love hard cheeses, but try not to over do it. Cottage cheese or yogurt is a good source of protein if I am desperate, but a well cooked meal with lots of veggies and beans is the best. When I cook, I've always had to chop
everything very fine, shred, or puree it. I also like to cook things on slow for a long time to really break down the fiber. I can eat high fat foods only in moderation or I will get sick and vomit. It use to only happen once or twice a year, but now it's a very common thing. If I eat the wrong thing, I will get extremely sick. Cakes/biscuits/yeast bread/croissants are all fine if I make them myself, cannot do the packaged ones. I have to use natural flours and oils . I do like supplements, but most kill my stomach. Ensure is good, but it is so expensive, I can't afford it. I find drinking carrot juice is absolutely wonderful for me. I cannot drink animal milk straight, so I use all different kinds of plant milks, and do my cooking with them, too. Right now I'm at a decently healthy weight (115), but I know it is only because I am taking 5mg prednisone. Without it, I know I would be at my usual 94
Lbs. I think 110 (5'4) would be ideal off steroids especially if I exercise and most of my weight is muscle.

I've never had gastroparesis, except maybe after my surgery (oophorectomy/appendectomy) when I vomited a bucket of green liquid. My food makes it to my ileum and then gets stuck there. I assume the weight loss is due to the food sitting in the stomach acid for too long and then not being a viable source of nutrition. Is there any food that helps the stomach empty properly? I find when I really take the time to cook my meals, use the best ingredients, etc. my food passes through my system fine. I also find if I make my own pancakes for example, they give me substanable energy, because they're loaded with so much more usable calories/complex carbohydrates. I've been having trouble with granola bars, wich is unfortunate because I've practically lived on them for decades now, unless I make my own and use delicate ingredients.
Only trigger foods effect me this way. My system floods with bile and nothing gets digested or absorbed. I don't believe anything helps except avoiding the causative food.

I had an emptying study done too and it took almost 15 minutes to get even a trickle - I believe the barium solution causes a reaction in me. I refuse to get any further studies done where I need to swallow any kind of chemicals.

You said store bought breads are not safe. Do you use canola oil in your cooking? If not that may be the difference. Canola was one of the major causes of my slow emptying. It's used in almost all off-the-shelf baked goods and so much more and it's terribly unhealthy.

You can identify lactose-safe cheeses by the carb / sugar content. Lactose is sugar, so less sugar = less lactose.

Yay to Bounty bars, UnXmas! I love them - worth a surgery, right? ;) - but likewise have had times where I knew eating one would make me so sick! It's so good to be able to regain foods that you have had to go so long without!

The Bounty alone is a milestone but 1 stone is wonderful! Well done! I know that's taken persistence but it's obviously paid off :)

Btw, InstantCoffee I can understand the though process here
I'm also wondering about daily fasting, giving large periods of time each day for your gut to heal, but still providing it with food.
But I just don't think giving your gut the majority of the day off would be enough to promote healing. All the studies I've ever seen suggest complete bowel rest is needed for a much longer period - whether through EEN (or less effective usually TPN) or diversion of fecal matter (a stoma). And of course neither EEN or TPN are are effective for everyone and interestingly EEN is better than TPN, which would be the closest equivalent to fasting in any study.

When we fast and feel better I believe it is almost always symptomatic relief that we experience. That was my experience but it is incredibly seductive to feel better through fasting. Naturally though it can lead to significant and dangerous weight loss.

Agree with low lactose cheeses being useful for some though - as a rough guide hard cheeses tend to be low in lactose, soft cheeses higher.

Last edited:
I do not use canola oil, I read a long time ago, it was the most genetically modified oils, which blows because an organic version should be healthy and full of monounsaturated fats. I use strictly olive oil and sesame oil. I do buy store bought bread sometimes, but never eat things like snack cakes. My biggest trigger foods are salad and cilantro. Next would be red meat and anything under cooked. My friends are all cheese snobs so we have cheese and beer parties. The beer usually makes me sick unless it's a dark porter, but the fancy cheeses are ok in moderation. I'm not lactose intollerent, my body just gets sick physically and emotionally when I consume a lot of dairy, thinking about how the chickens or cows have suffered. I think the cause of my flare was extreme stress coupled with a poor diet at the time ( too much caffeine and sugar).

I do not use canola oil, I read a long time ago, it was the most genetically modified oils, which blows because an organic version should be healthy and full of monounsaturated fats. I use strictly olive oil and sesame oil. I do buy store bought bread sometimes, but never eat things like snack cakes. My biggest trigger foods are salad and cilantro. Next would be red meat and anything under cooked. My friends are all cheese snobs so we have cheese and beer parties. The beer usually makes me sick unless it's a dark porter, but the fancy cheeses are ok in moderation. I'm not lactose intollerent, my body just gets sick physically and emotionally when I consume a lot of dairy, thinking about how the chickens or cows have suffered. I think the cause of my flare was extreme stress coupled with a poor diet at the time ( too much caffeine and sugar).
It might be related to canola then unless you've directly tested it, since you don't use it but most store bought products do.

Canola was originally sold as an industrial lubricant and when it failed there because it wasn't as good as petroleum products they re purposed it into 'food.'

You say salad, is it anything in particular?

I'm very lucky in the cheese department. I forgot my lunch for work the other day so I ate a 12 pack of Kraft singles lol. Not something I would advise doing often because of the basic health consequences, Crohn's aside, but I had no reaction to it really.

To those using Ensure, I suggest this thread.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=44806

Last edited:
I believe that canola isn't the best choice, but it doesn't cause the instant vomitting reaction some other foods do. All salad is forbidden for me. They put lettuce in my taco recently and even though I scraped most of it out, I still got very sick. I think my issue is that my ileum is so narrow due to inflammation and surgery that foods that are unbroken down like salad, or bulky like meats, just don't fit through, so my body tries to send the food back up. I think a lot of inflamation may be caused by gmos, I know it's a heated subject, but it just makes sense that's something with genetics that don't occur naturally, would ignite the immune system. I know almost all canola is gmo, also corn and soy. I wish I could avoid them, but until they start labeling here, I just have to eat them.

Yay to Bounty bars, UnXmas! I love them - worth a surgery, right? ;) - but likewise have had times where I knew eating one would make me so sick! It's so good to be able to regain foods that you have had to go so long without!

The Bounty alone is a milestone but 1 stone is wonderful! Well done! I know that's taken persistence but it's obviously paid off :)
Thank you! It was yummy! I think you get a new appreciation for foods if you've not been able to have them for a while. The food I want to try next is some kind of high fibre breakfast cereal, like bran or muesli. It's even longer since I've had that, because it would have blocked my previous stomas, but even further back, before I had a stoma, high fibre cereal would cause severe diahrroea, so it's been years and years since I've had it (diarrhoea with a stoma isn't a problem unless it's very severe).

But I just don't think giving your gut the majority of the day off would be enough to promote healing. All the studies I've ever seen suggest complete bowel rest is needed for a much longer period - whether through EEN (or less effective usually TPN) or diversion of fecal matter (a stoma). And of course neither EEN or TPN are are effective for everyone and interestingly EEN is better than TPN, which would be the closest equivalent to fasting in any study.

When we fast and feel better I believe it is almost always symptomatic relief that we experience. That was my experience but it is incredibly seductive to feel better through fasting. Naturally though it can lead to significant and dangerous weight loss.
Just to add - these forms of bowel rest - EEN, TPN, stomas - tend to be last resorts for many people. If someone's digestive system really can't tolerate food at all, they need doctors' help, whether underweight or not.

Fasting or eating very little can also cause the stomach to shrink, so as well as directly causing weight loss, it could make it harder to gain the weight back afterwards.

Agree with low lactose cheeses being useful for some though - as a rough guide hard cheeses tend to be low in lactose, soft cheeses higher.
Our gut does most of its repairs at night so I was thinking it could be productive to eat solid foods early in the day and taper into a liquid diet at night then supplement L-Glutamine before bed.

I tried some elements of the Japanese diet from the pubmed study today. So far no reaction to tofu, miso or the sticky rice I used. I thought rice was a trigger, so glad to have it back. Miso was gross though.

I also just found Fairlife milk at target I might try, it's extra filtered with lactase and added vitamins.

I've been buying kombucha soda there by Live brand.

Reading through this, it's interesting how many underweight people have poor body image. Before taking steroids, when I was much skinnier, I hated the way I looked. Even though people would always say I wish I had your figure or I wish I was your size, and I won't lie, I love those compliments, but then when I looked in the mirror what I saw was just so disgusting. I started cuting my own hair just so I didn't have to look at myself under the bright lights of a studio, and when I tried clothes on at a store I would be in agony over how I looked in the dressing room mirror, even though most girls would love to fit in those small sizes, it's not worth it if you still feel so awful when you see yourself. Since I got so sick and got on Prednisone and anxiety meds, I've gained weight. I even ripped through a pair of my skinny jeans when trying to put them on. My wedding ring doesn't fit anymore and I don't have time to exercise the way I should, but despite it all my confidence has gone way, way up since gaining weight! I feel like I just look more confident and vibrant, and I feel like people treat me better. It's weird because being so skinny became such a part of my identity, that now that I'm gaining weight I guess I'm finding other reasons to love myself, and I'm developing my personality and talents, rather than obsessing about my body. My goal is to get off the prednisone and get this disease under control. Eating healthy will always be important to me, but loving yourself is also and important part of healing. I know it's not exactly scientific , but part of me thinks an immune disorder like crohns is essentially your body attacking itself the same way we mentally attack ourselves with low self esteem. So, in a more metaphysical way, I feel loving yourself might actually help your body stop attacking itself on all levels. To gain weight, maybe we just need to love ourselves and love life. Sorry for the ramble.

I've never had body image issues from being too thin. I know I look sick but I don't worry about it, the only thing that bothers me about it is that I know many people will assume I'm anorexic. The stereotype of an anorexic is someone obsessed with how they look, neurotic about low calorie food, etc. and that's not me. I have other hang ups about the way I look but being thin isn't one of them.

Japanese diet didn't work out. Idk what about it. It took most of the day to 'react' to it then I had to throw up at night. No diarrhea, just upper symptoms.

I used to react quickly to almost anything that triggered me, diarrhea in 30 minutes or less or your money back.

I always wanted to be muscular, I started going on bodybuilding forums to learn conventional knowledge to gain weight and it just made my self image worse. I've felt much better since I left, but I still hate seeing my legs in the mirror, they're so shapeless. I rarely wear shorts.

I've eaten a lot of unhealthy stuff and taken a lot of supplements to try to gain weight. The other problem is that chronic inflammatory diseases as well as having been in a point of extended near starvation in the past can cause permanent hormonal damage, and muscle growth is very testosterone limited.

I've taken several natural boosters. Maybe a good thing, I think they helped cure my depression.

Edit:
Stick rice was safe, I think it was the kombucha tea that triggered me. Probably too much sugar.

Last edited:
Man, Japanese and Chinese food sits so well with me (if it is meatless), my husband however gets a stomach ache from it, so we don't eat it very often, Mexican food also does well for me (if it doesn't have cilantro or meat), pretty much anything but your typical American food

Cheeseburgers, steaks, fast food... St.louis where I live is a very meat centric city, I love it here, but some resuraunts you can't find anything without meat, even the vegetables have bacon or lard in them, I had an idea to create healthy meatless versions of all the classic St. Louis foods like black bean toasted ravioli or a vegan gooey butter cake, the ethnic restaurants in my city are great, but unfortunately with my cilantro allergy I even have trouble there, *sigh*

Had an official weigh in at doctor's request - unfortunately I don't remember how much I was last time so I don't know if I've gained! But I'm pretty sure I can't have lost much given how much I weigh on my own scales.

I have IBD; symptoms are ulcers in my small intestine and lots of pain in my stomach and intestine area. I have no diarrhea, but do have constipation sometimes. I notice many of you have diarrhea and a sign of Crohns is diarrhea. Anyone else NOT have diarrhea but lots of pain as I do? I have lost 40 pounds since I got this 5 years ago. It took 4 years for a GI doctor to diagnose it as IBD. He said I have the beginnings of Crohns. Seems a long time for 'beginnings." I am having a terrible time gaining weight, but at least I am not losing (I think).

I have IBD; symptoms are ulcers in my small intestine and lots of pain in my stomach and intestine area. I have no diarrhea, but do have constipation sometimes. I notice many of you have diarrhea and a sign of Crohns is diarrhea. Anyone else NOT have diarrhea but lots of pain as I do? I have lost 40 pounds since I got this 5 years ago. It took 4 years for a GI doctor to diagnose it as IBD. He said I have the beginnings of Crohns. Seems a long time for 'beginnings." I am having a terrible time gaining weight, but at least I am not losing (I think).
My diarrhea is triggered by sugars, when I stopped eating processed and refined carbohydrates I got constipation instead.

I drink a lot of fluids and take about 2 fistfuls of strawberries plus some other fiber sources daily and it doesn't help.

I'm sure I can fix it by adjusting my diet, probably reducing my dairy intake.

Try increasing your fluids, if that doesn't work increase your fiber.

Are you consuming any / a lot of dairy?

For many coffee has a laxative effect if you can tolerate it, and coconut juice / oil (also if you can tolerate is), also aloe vera juice but I hesitate to suggest it as a go-to constipation cure, there's the possibility of complications with it, it's an option though in a pinch if you haven't gone in a few days.

For many coffee has a laxative effect if you can tolerate it, and coconut juice / oil (also if you can tolerate is), also aloe vera juice but I hesitate to suggest it as a go-to constipation cure, there's the possibility of complications with it, it's an option though in a pinch if you haven't gone in a few days.
A few days without a bowel movement is normal, you only need to start thinking about laxatives when it's been about a week or more.

UnXmas: thanks for the info that not everyone with Crohns has diarrhea... and for the web site. I will go there. My weight loss is both no appetite and terrible pain. I went 4 years before being diagnosed and lost 37 pounds then. The doctor said i had reflux. I don't know why I did not think, "why do I believe these doctors?"
Instant Coffee: I hardly have ANY sugar, Never thought that might be affecting my bowels.
I drink about 3 glasses of LF milk daily, I love it. No other dairy, it causes pain. I do need to drink more water. Coffee bothers me; anything with caffeine bothers me. I am trying to use more coconut oil for the fat which I need. Thanks!

Help!!! I just have to gain some weight. I just joined this forum and I was thrilled to see all these threads. I have tried so many different diets... paleo, SCD, Makers diet and others just to name a few. I am 5'3" and weigh about 86lbs. I have lost 8 lbs in a little over a week. It's very frustrating and exhausting. I am currently taking Cimzia (for 4 months) I have not noticed much of a difference. Remicade, Humira and several "oral" therapy drugs have not worked well either. I was diagnosed with Crohn's 24 years ago, had 2 section of my large bowel removed and I am currently having a flare. The only time I've ever really felt good was during my 2 pregnancies. My doctor prescribed Hyoscyamine Sulf....has this worked for anyone? I'm scared that I'm just going to keep dropping weight since I am going to the bathroom at least 12-15 times a day. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I fear going into the hospital and not being able to take care of my little ones! Thank you.

Helene: you are underweight, I am really sorry. I am underweight, 5'3', weigh 95 pounds and want to gain weight. If the Cimzia is not working, your doctor needs to try something else for you. Have you ever been on a steroid?

Also, have you tried FODMAP diet? It is for IBS but is also good for Crohns. You can search for it on the web, also look on Facebook for Patsy Catsos, who wrote a book on FODMAP called IBS: Free at Last. I know it says IBS and you don't have it, but the diet really helps me. But you need to return to your dr and if he can't help you try someone else. Maybe even go to Mayo Clinic. They are very persistent with any disease there. Hyoscyamine did not help me at all. I think it is suppose to stop bowel contractions, does not help with intestinal ulcers. Hug and prayer for you.....

Gail,
Thank you for you response and your prayers. Yes, i have been on lots of different steroids. I need to do something, I will definitely check out the FOD MAP diet, thank you. My husband is pushing me to go to the Mayo Clinic as well. It stresses him out to see me like this. I'm really thinking about a fecal transplant...what the heck😉 couldn't have any worse side effects than some of the other "therapies" I've done/taken. Thank you again for the diet idea and the support. Prayers of health to you!

Helene - have your doctors ever talked to you about an NG tube or any other tube feeding? They're not ideal, I couldn't get on with them at all, but apparently they work well for some.

The lowest my weight ever got down to was 60lbs. At age 12.In 2002 at age 20 with the help of steroids I got up to 235lbs.,in 2004 I had a total Colectomy and since then I've average between 115 to 120lbs. I've had 7 total surgeries since then and lot of damage to my stomach in late 2010 I found a decent diet and got up to 136lbs 2 weeks later I had a massive blockage they wanted to avoid surgery at all costs and I spent almost 6 weeks in the hospital waiting to pass the blockage got pneumonia and got down to 98lbs,it's been a struggle to gain weight since then last summer got sick again got down to 114lbs but about 3 weeks ago I went to the GI and was up to 143lbs which it was the 1st time since 2004 I've weighed that much so I got that going for me.

I don't understand my body's interaction with this protein shake at all.
If my stomach is out of whack and I drink some, sometimes it fixes the diarrhea and I feel much better.

If I continue to have it regularly for days / weeks / months eventually even a little bit triggers diarrhea .

InstantCoffee, are you sure it's the protein shake that's giving you diarrhea?

Helene, the Mayo Clinic is wonderful. I would definitely encourage you to go there. I suggest that you first try out some elimination protocol, like FODMAP, SCD, or AIP to help calm your body down before you can add on more food.

I started adding more fruits and other veggies into my diet, and I have gained quite a bit of weight over the last 2 months. I am happy about it, but it's at an alarming rate that I decided to cut back on carbs for a little bit. Unfortunately, I have been feeling crappy the last few days due to eating too many dried apples and looking for another job. :/

InstantCoffee, are you sure it's the protein shake that's giving you diarrhea?
Positive.
It contains maltodextrin, which is bad, but it's also loaded with vitamins, minerals and some herbal stuff so I wonder if those have a beneficial effect, I've seen it both stop diarrhea and cause it, it's weird.

It contains most daily vitamins, calcium, phosphorous, iodine, magneisum, zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, potassium.

The for herbals it has tongkat ali, eleuthro root, schizandra chinesis, yohimbe bark, colostrum, MCTs, boron and tribulus.

I know colostrum is supposed to be great for crohn's and tribulus has had great mood-altering effects on me in the past. The others I don't know much about off the top of my head, I've looked them all up at one point or another and most are body building supplements with limited evidence to their efficacy.

It also has choline, inositol and PABA which I know nothing about.

It's made with glucose polymers and glucose may aid in fructose absorption which is great if you have fructose malabsorbption or intolerance.

It's weird though, we know based on research maltodextrin feeds bad bacteria and leads to dysbiosis but I read a blog post by a woman saying she used maltodextrin to promote growth of healthy probiotics for her crohn's treatment. Maybe it's a double edged sword?

Probiotics have to eat too.

It's good to see someone on this thread who's successfully gaining, Basmah. :)
Thanks, UnXmas! I just wish it sticks this time around. It's so much easier to lose it than to gain it, as I am sure the majority of your know. I also hope that everyone else finds something that works for them.

It's weird though, we know based on research maltodextrin feeds bad bacteria and leads to dysbiosis but I read a blog post by a woman saying she used maltodextrin to promote growth of healthy probiotics for her crohn's treatment. Maybe it's a double edged sword?

Probiotics have to eat too.

Eh, I would be cautious when reading blog posts by one person. Chances are she's either (1) not pin pointing what's really helping her (it's never just one factor), or (2) she's trying to sell something.

Update:

Went to my GI today and I weighed 152lbs about one months ago I was 143lbs and In January I was 126lbs and July 2014 I was 114lbs.This is the most weight gain I've had in the shortest amount of Time since my total Colectomy in 2004 and my GI said I'm at the ideal weight for my height...so that's some good news.

I'm glad to hear you've gained, Tubes :) . Is it due to diet changes or getting your disease under control, or some other factors?

I'm glad to hear you've gained, Tubes :) . Is it due to diet changes or getting your disease under control, or some other factors?
Thank you,actually it's all 3 I've made a ton of changes to my diet,I had a really bad infection about a year ago and was put on some high powered antibiotics for almost 4 months at the end of the year and once I got off those I started putting on a decent amount of weight and then I've been working with my doctors and a nutritionist(I've done so In the past multiple times but this time it's working)and they had me taking multiple different bulking agents and meds to slow down output.

How do you all cope with being full? It's a big problem for me. But I've heard some healthy people say they like feeling full, not extremely full, but they like to finish a meal feeling full enough that they really won't want to eat anything more for a while. I can't stand the feeling, though with so much wrong with my digestive system, I think my version of fullness is not like most peoples', and not just in severity.

Anyone figure out how to eat enough to gain weight and not get full?

Last edited:
As someone who has gone from flare to healthy in a short enough time to compare, Crohn's fullness is not like healthy fullness at all. Finding higher calorie density foods is your best option.

Sometimes it doesn't seem to relate that much to the amount I've eaten. I think I get a fullness feeling from my intestine which is different to the fullness from my stomach.

Before I had my last surgery, I could tolerate very few fruits and vegetables, but one I could eat was avocados. After years of avocados, I don't want to eat them now I can eat pretty much anything! I know they have a lot more fat and calories than other fruits, but I still can't face yet another avocado at the moment. I am loving eating apples and pears again. I know they're no use for weight gain but I like eating them. My main high-calorie foods at the moment are biscuits and chocolate between meals, a lot of cheese added to meals. My weight gain has stalled the last couple of weeks and I am finding it hard to keep eating on the days I feel really full.

As we've established before, Unxmas, your condition seems much different from mine, however my fullness comes immediately upon consuming a trigger food, it may be a similar mechanism.

This has actually been a pre-indicator to me for many severe trigger foods. The first sign was a loss of interest in the food that was caused by simply feeling satiated extremely fast upon eating it.

Often times this progressed over weeks/months/years to full on Crohn's spasms of diarrhea and/or vomiting if I kept eating the food.

I believe it to be a reaction of the bile production in some form.

I think the most obvious one for me was Canola oil while had a very specific step-by-step reaction. When I ate it, first I'd feel very full. Then my stomach would start to bloat, but I could tell it was slightly further along the line than the stomach itself, so it had to be in the intestines. The pain was localized in a way that it actually felt like a large volume of bowel movement pressure, but was relieved by throwing up only. Very different than traditional stomach upset, clearly further along in the bowel, but not yet in the large intestines right?

I would have to force myself to vomit to get rid of all the bile that was backing up into my small intestines, and it was very difficult because I could tell it wasn't my stomach contents, I had to get it to go out of my intestines and into my stomach before I could throw it up.

So the curious thing for me is, how long does it take a food to trigger bile production after initial consumption? It seems I can see signs within a 10 minute or so feeding window.

-
Unrelated just thought I'd put an update, maybe too early to jump for joy but 1 week into intermittent fasting diet + a few other modifications but LESS total calories I'm up 2 lb.s

I don't really know much about bile production. I don't seem to have trigger foods. I used to have to avoid too much fibre, but since my last stoma surgery I can eat pretty much anything without causing any increase in other symptoms.

With the bowel fullness - I guess this feeling could be a kind of constipation, if it's possible to be constipated with an ileostomy. I just get really bloated, though I still have stoma output. With this bowel fullness I can eat something and feel very full one day, then eat the same amount of the same food the next day and not feel too bad. Or I can wake up in the morning and feel bloated before I've eaten anything. I've considered trying laxatives to try to get things moving and reduce this feeling though I haven't tried them yet. My stomach fullness depends on the amount eaten, and stodgy, rich foods are more filling, liquids generally less filling, so this fullness seems to be pretty logical, I just have delayed gastric emptying so I get fuller on less food than healthy people.