• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Exaggerated response to mosquito bites

I was diagnosed with Crohn's two months ago and am in my first flare. I'm noticing that when I'm bitten by mosquitoes the swelling is much more pronounced than in the past.

I have five right now, all around my hair line. The bites don't go away very quickly either.

Is this due to my inflammatory response being out of whack? I've had one Remicade infusion but noticed this reaction prior to having the infusion.

Thank you!

Bufford

My body's reaction to bites are similar to other people who are healthy, but biting flies find me much tastier than healthy people. Somehow the meds or my system attracts mosquitoes.

my little penguin

Staff member
Some " bug bites" are actually not bugs bites
Please see a dermatologist
They can be Sweets Syndrome
(Ds first few flares -we thought were bad mosquito bites then later hives)
Any joint pain fatigue headache flu like symptoms ????

I too had this problem!! I took pics to show my dr. I took Benadryl to reduce the swelling and itching. She told me to keep an eye on them (they can get infected easily due to our whaky immune systems).

She had no explanation as to why I had so many, and my husband who was at the same place, same time didn't have this reaction.

Some " bug bites" are actually not bugs bites
Please see a dermatologist
They can be Sweets Syndrome
(Ds first few flares -we thought were bad mosquito bites then later hives)
Any joint pain fatigue headache flu like symptoms ????
I have two new ones on my calf. I haven't been outside and am not aware of being bitten on my leg. I've been having minor joint pain and fatigue. The night sweats are starting again. :(

I see my GI on Wednesday. I took a picture of the sores to show her.

Thank you!

I too had this problem!! I took pics to show my dr. I took Benadryl to reduce the swelling and itching. She told me to keep an eye on them (they can get infected easily due to our whaky immune systems).

She had no explanation as to why I had so many, and my husband who was at the same place, same time didn't have this reaction.
Thanks for your response. Taking a picture was a good suggestion. I have an infusion on Monday and see my GI on Wednesday. I doubt the sores will be gone but in case they are I have the photo.

All of these extra little symptoms are so random and vague!

I don't have Crohns. I have a type of colitis. I've noticed when sick, bug bites swell up larger in size.

Of late I have been feeling better. As a result I've noticed, while the bites can still itch they are not swelling up as large as before.