Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Bile Acid Malabsorption Support Group

07-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #151
highlandsrock

My Support Groups:
Just found this thread... that explains why my anus burns 2-3 times a week! All this started after resection/terminal ileum and removal of gall bladder both at same time in 2011 (oy did that hurt).
Were you warned before surgery that loss of terminal ieum means it is pretty much a certainty you will end up with BAM? I was told but not in terms I took on board. I explain it here - http://www.wrestlingtheoctopus.com/d...-not-that-one/

Not taking Crohn's meds at present. In the past - pred, pentasa, aza, entocort, infliximab - with varying degrees of success

Currently on :
Loperamide to keep the BAM at bay
Propanolol/Omeprazole for PVT
B12 injections

Twitter - @crohnoid
07-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #152
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
were you warned before surgery that loss of terminal ieum means it is pretty much a certainty you will end up with bam?
nope
07-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #153
woodlandperegrine

My Support Groups:
My colon cancer surgeon told me I wouldn't even miss the 2 feet of small & large intestine he was removing.
07-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #154
BlueSky

My Support Groups:
I was told that I would need B-12 shots for life, but that was it.
07-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #155
highlandsrock

My Support Groups:
I see so many other sufferers saying exactly the same - "nobody told me about bile acid". I don't know why it's not mentioned as a matter of course when you are going to have your terminal ileum removed. We need a BAM Awareness Campaign to run alongside the IBD Awareness activities
08-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #156
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't remember being told anything about them taking the terminal ileum or anything about bile acid.
08-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #157
woodlandperegrine

My Support Groups:
I started taking Cholestyramine powder daily about a month ago. For the last week, I've had really strong pain under my right shoulder blade. I know this can be a symptom of gall bladder problems. Might it have anything to do with BAM or the medicine?
08-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #158
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would let your doctor know what is going on, woodlandperegrine
08-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #159
woodlandperegrine

My Support Groups:
Thanks, ronroush7. I came to the same conclusion and made an appointment for tomorrow.
10-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #160
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Part of my bm was milky. Does this mean there is a problem with the bike acid? What does that mean?
10-12-2017, 04:45 AM   #161
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mines generally green with bile malabsorption.
10-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #162
RickS

My Support Groups:
I have had 2 terminal ileum resections. I take half a pack of Cholestyramine powder daily with OJ. One pack bound me up too much. Also take a B12 (1000mcg) pill daily. Have a blood test every 2 months. Down to 1 BM a day, happy guy.
11-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #163
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
Hi there,

After my surgery 3 years or so ago I was told about BAM, but nothing happened about it as I wasn't really getting diarrhoea I never thought it was something to worry about. I moved this year and it seems here in Yorkshire the NHS take things a little more seriously; the consultant ordered a whole load of blood tests (including things like Vitamin D I'd never been tested for before, all fine), as well as for the first time a stool sample (urgh), a bone density scan and the SeHCAT test even though I assured her I don't have diarrhoea so can't have BAM.

Sure enough, my "retention is 5%" putting me in the severe category.

It makes me wonder how much the on-off mild symptoms I've had over the last 3 years were BAM and not so much the Crohns fighting back.

I now need to get a prescription for Cholestyramine.
11-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #164
emmaaaargh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Atypical presentations of BAM really interest me - I've always wanted to know if it has to appear immediately after surgery, or can develop later, or can be "in hiding" and can only show itself later. I had surgery in 2009 but up until about 2015 I would have perfectly solid stools (when my guts were doing well, anyway) but since then my stools have just been mushy at best, and nothing I eat, or no matter how I feel otherwise, seems to affect it, except that fat definitely worsens it. I've always wondered about the possibility of BAM, but so far it's never been raised to me.
Currently on: Humira 40mg fortnightly
11-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #165
RickS

My Support Groups:
I think, I ain't a GI, if you have BMA of bile salts, causing diarrhea there is nothing you can do, thru diet, to get your gut to absorb much more bile salts. All you can do is use Cholestyramine to bind with the bile salts, thus not allow the bile salts to cause your Large Bowel to excrete water vs absorb it as normal.
or use Loperamide to slow down the gut mobility and try to force more bile salt and water absorption.
12-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #166
ron50

My Support Groups:
I use questran lite (cholestyramine) When I have a flare of bile salt diahorreah . When I get it under control it usually stays controlled until I accidently eat or drink something that causes another flare . I sometimes go months without needing to use questran. I don't like to use it all the time because I have severe peripheral neuropathy in my feet and legs from chemo and colon cancer in 1998. My doctors now believe the neuropathy my be effecting some of my organs including my remaining colon interfering with motility. I am suffering increasingly from constipation , so I only use questran when I have to. My bam was caused by gall bladder removal. Ron.
12-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #167
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've changed back to Questran Light from Colesevelam. I couldn't take medications 4 hours before or after the Colesevelam so it interfered with all my meds. I had to take the Colesevelam 3 times per day. I can take meds an hour before Questran and 4 hours after so i'm hoping all my other meds will work better. I too have a problem with BAM and Questran helps better for me. I'm certainly pleased to be back on Questran.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Bile Acid Malabsorption Support Group