• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it easy for you to gain the weight back if you lost it?

Can you fairly easily gain the weight back after you lost it?

• Total voters
Not for me, unfortunately. I lost 20 pounds during a hospitalization in March, and have only gained 5 back, despite a focused effort to gain weight.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Both of my children were able to gain lost weight back after they had surgery.

Sarah's was a slower process than Matt's if I remember correctly. Matt has gained 14 kilos since April and is heavier now than when he was first diagnosed.

Matt hasn't faced stressful situations since his surgery but when Sarah is stressed the weight drops off at the rate of knots. :(

Dusty. xxx

I have a horrible time tryiing to gain weight back, unless I'm on prednisone. Any tips on how to gain weight, but still eat healthy? I will NOT eat fast food to get 1000+ calories in one meal!

AshleyElaine I definitely feel for you! I am still on the dreaded steroids, chopping and changing between pred and budesonide and I am not looking forward to trying to lose the mass excess weight I am gaining and gaining and gaining!

It takes me awhile to get back up to eating full meals (build up my relationship and trust with food again), but once I am eating full meals, I can usually keep my weight, as long as I'm not flaring anymore.

sawdust

For me, it depends when you ask this question in the cycle of a flare-up. If I'm in remission, then I would say it's easy to regain weight, but not if I'm still flaring.

For me, it depends when you ask this question in the cycle of a flare-up. If I'm in remission, then I would say it's easy to regain weight, but not if I'm still flaring.
Ditto. In remission, when there is no pain or nausea, I actually have an appetite and my body is actually able to absorb nutrients.

I'm like everyone else basically I gain it back on the prednisone but once I stop or if I flare up I lose it again. And when it starts coming off there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to get it back on again....

Same here Kenya, I gain weight on Pred, but if I'm getting symtoms prior to a flare up, or an actual flare up, I just drop weight like nobody's business. When in remission I am still limited with foods so I find it difficult to gain it back without medication.

The only time I have gained weight without steroids, was when I was in the salad days of my marriage, and the wife and I were happier than ever. I tapered off the Pred, with a weight ~160lbs. I hovered between that, and 172; which was GREAT!! My wife's pregnancy may have played into this, as we were both very happy with eachother, and life in general. That lasted until we ended up with a really lousy neighbor, who was extremely stressful to our household. She would call the police when my wife and daughter would watch movies on the T.V., or when I would play videogames, or play music... you get the idea. We even had child protective services over, a day or so, after I scolded one of my kids... :ymad: All of this cost me ~27lbs over two months!

Today, I'm at ~144. Down from 158 at my last GI checkup. Back on the juice, hoping to gain 20-25lbs before my surgery. Not so optimistic however...

I went to Mexico for 2 weeks about 6 years ago, lost 10 kg and never put it back. I have actually not gone downhill after that trip slowly.

Gaining Weight for Crohnsies

Try baking goods with almond flour instead of eating breads or regular flour! It has a lot of natural fat, because it's crushed up almond, and will help you gain in the right places instead of just putting crap in your body. There are some really good recipes out there- just google "almond flour" or "scd almond flour recipes." You can eat delicious things that are way more easily digestable and can put some meat on your bones!

I have an absolute nightmare of a time trying to gain weight, steroids were great in the early days but IV and the highest oral steroids they could give me in hospital last May and I gained absolutely nothing.
I did have some success in the weight dept. through pregnancy, I gained WAIT FOR IT a massive 8lb!!! HAHA on each child and it fell off as soon as I gave birth, first child was 6lb and the second 7lb.
My hubby jokes that he only has to look at food and he gains weight, I tell him that even if was to never get off my backside again and have food 24/7 through IV I'd still be the same weight.
If anyone has any tips that helped them please please send them on to me.
Gwen xxx

I have had Crohn's for over 20 years. Weighed in at 175 pounds (5'9") in high school. When Crohn's started, I lost 30 pounds in about 5 weeks. For the next 20 years, if I went above 150, that was something. I could eat literally several POUNDS of chocolate a week without gaining. Women that I worked with absolutely hated me! Not sure what changed this year, but I am back to about 170, and have maintained over 160 for the last 8 months.

I could eat literally several POUNDS of chocolate a week without gaining. Women that I worked with absolutely hated me!
Same here! If only they knew how misguided their jealousy is. Yes, ladies, you too can be as skinny as me, if only you were lucky enough to have this debilitating chronic disease. :yrolleyes:

I gained my 20 lost pounds right back with the help of surgery & Humira. If I didn't have those though, I expect I would've kept shrinking. (I know it's bad but I realllly miss being that skinny :shifty:)

It looks like even on steroids I can't gain weight. I'm been eating like never ever since I've found out about Crohn. I have a constant weight and I've been like this my whole life. I always wanted a few more kilos, but I've never been able to gain them.

When I flare-up I lose about 2, 3 kilos and I do get them back quickly I could say, but nothing besides my constant weight.
It looks like my body's reached a comfortable limit :)

I gained my 20 lost pounds right back with the help of surgery & Humira. If I didn't have those though, I expect I would've kept shrinking. (I know it's bad but I realllly miss being that skinny :shifty:)
I'm the same. When my crohn's first started and the stone and a half fell off me I actually liked it haha. But now that I've been on Pred 40mg for 3 months now without any tapering for someone that normally just has to look at food to gain weight I'm sure you can all imagine the consequences of steroids. BIG FATTY!!! It also does not help that most people when they think of an IBD think of really thin people so apparently I don't look ill enough to have crohn's.