• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have you had surgery recently?

afidz

Super Moderator
A couple weeks ago I noticed that there was a spike in surgeries being scheduled or done. So, if you have had surgery recently my questions are:
1. What kind of surgery did you have
2. Were you advised to stop medications prior to surgery
3. Did you develop any infections or complications after surgery

Hi Afidz
How are you doing? Can't believe it's 6 months since I had mine! I guess that's relatively recently?
1. Ileocaecal resection and partial cystectomy ( to remove fistula to bladder )
2. Yes, they took me off Aza which was all I was on prior to the op
3. I developed a chest infection a couple of days after which cleared up with antibiotics. Other than that, no problems.

annawato

Staff member
Bowel resection plus removal of adhesions and abscesses and creation of ileostomy - Nov 23 2012.
Took me off Remicade well beforehand and fattened me up with TPN for a few months!!!!
Developed wound infection post surgery and abscess under my liver. My wound has only just healed 4 months later and fortunately the abscess under my liver has resolved.
Since then have been weaning off prednisone. Down to 5mg now. Woohoo. :)

A couple weeks ago I noticed that there was a spike in surgeries being scheduled or done. So, if you have had surgery recently my questions are:
1. What kind of surgery did you have
2. Were you advised to stop medications prior to surgery
3. Did you develop any infections or complications after surgery
1. Had a section of my colon removed and two fistulas, one in my bladder and one from my large to my small intestine.
2. Yes, everything. Asa, Humira, birth control and vitamins
3. No complications, but I did have a nasty bout with nausea for a few weeks afterword.

Small bowel resection, and adhesions 9 weeks ago, abscess and wound infection resulting in wound opening, just closed last weekend. Was taken of azathioprine1 week b4 surgery back on 8 weeks post surgery